Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Spitfire I PR Conversion ... was almost there before rebuild

Post by Killratio »

Oh..OH!! THAT aircraft beta? I didn't think anybody knew about the Martinsyde G.100 beta???

I'm just putting the final touches on the (all white paint) job. :wink:
Last edited by Killratio on 13 Dec 2017, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... Sim Cockpit ... Almost ther

Post by clarkejw »

Haha :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Spitfire I PR Conversion ... was almost there before rebuild

Post by Killratio »

More updates ... Map box progress and labels.

https://www.facebook.com/SpitfireK9817/
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... was almost there before reb

Post by Killratio »

After months of spotty progress, a number of things are starting to come together, not least the redrawn and laser cut gauges are getting there and after a weekend of doing a Sissy Spacek (Silkwood) last weekend, all of my original gauges are back to "background". Only two sets of batteries used in the Dosimetre which I had running ALL weekend!

Now the Boultbee Spitfire Sim is largely off my plate, I'm spending time making some cockpit bits for myself, another cockpit sim and another full size replica Spitfire in the UK (both Spitfire II's). I'm also drawing gauge sets to cut master engraving plates for an exciting new project involving and original Taylor Hobbs WW2 pantograph.

For those that feel inclined to see photos, the photobucket debacle led me to concentrate all the updates on a facebook page The K9817 Project. Just search that and it will come up, along with a VERY kind and gracious review by our very own Lewis.

The very latest progress today was arranging for Coffman Starter Breech controls to be powder coated ready for engraving, along with Spitfire I and II starter button plates. I've also finished 3 SRCO controls for various guys and for me.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... was almost there before rebuild

Post by Killratio »

Well, I finally tried to get Photobucket working again for this thread, only to have a huge virus warning come up and my firewall refuse me access to the site!

Imurg only seems to give me links in the thread, not put pictures up...

Oh well, I'll have another look at hosting alternatives.

Throttle unit is now completed and ready to get one small legend engraved before it gets installed, initially in the wooden cockpit that I am restoring to flying function pending the aluminium one being finished.
That has taken much longer than expected and I am missing flying something cruel!

A couple of exciting things have happened with me giving an address to the Arms & Armour Society of WA and that resulting in an article in both their magazine and the Aussie home built aircraft association's magazine as well.

More offers of help in areas not within my expertise have followed!

More soon hopefully.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Spitfire I PR Conversion ... was almost there before rebuild

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Mist ISP contracts come with space but we all tend to forget about it lol. Maybe worth a look the little you get should be fine for some forum posting.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

K9817 Spitifre Build

Post by Killratio »

Given Dreamsofwings fantastic video, I thought I had better revive this and actually work out how to put photos into the thread (in this post Photob&^%&*^ world!)

Two years of work, on and off and about 100 hours of research, drawing, cutting, machining, forming and painting, to finish the very early type throttle for K9817. The whole unit is modelled on a throttle held by the BBMF which I was very kindly given photos of a while back. It predates even THAT throttle though, having the original bare metal ABCO-O finger tab and plate with red legend. It has been made almost exclusively from original Supermarine patterns.

The whole thing was made in my workshop with the exception of the U/C Circuit Switch (real) the U/C Warn Cancel unit (a resin replica which I machined out and added switches and made metal press buttons for ) Throttle Handle (3d printed) and I drew up the throttle lever and mixture lever and had them laser cut.
The Mixture knob is a Guinness can widget, cut down and filled with resin glue!!

The birth of a throttle:

More tomorrow.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Re: Spitfire K9817 Build

Post by Killratio »

Much happening, chief among which is the panel, BFP and U/C indicator from Replica Aircraft Parts are now all finished and on their way out here.

Another small job for me was the mounting bracket made for the Oxygen Bayonet and the bayonet itself modified to the 2nd pattern fitting for the Spitfire, current at the K9817 build date (Sept/Oct 1940).

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Crazy, man. Looks good!

ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Stunning work as always. But a question, is light yet visible at the end of the tunnel? 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Great details.
"PULL DOWN FOR NIGHT USE" Does it work like a roller blind? (I hope, that's the right word for the German "Rollo")

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, its a tiny blind that can be pulled down to help prevent light leak 8)

cheers,

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Great work as usual! Makes me want to build another pit.

WHAT, am I crazy!!?? The one I have is enough.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks guys,

Paughco, yes, completely out of my tree :)

Raceguy, this is my third that I have built!! Two Spitfires and an F16.
This is the first in full metal.

Yes Jens, as Lewis said, a self retracting blind that cuts the glare of the indicator at night. RAP have made and donated mine and I am just in the process of making one for Ross' project, including working blind.
THAT is interesting, I can tell you..making a self retracting 5/16" (8mm) diametre, spring loaded blind that is 2" x 3" !!

Lewis, you've been talking to &***&&%^# Banks again, haven't you??? :)

The answer is yes. Frame 8 is 3/4 done, Frame 10 is done, Frame 9 half done, the top Longerons are done the improvised bottom (structural) longerons that will take the wheels etc are done (need to do the "fake" real bottom longerons which will just run between the frames) , the top stiffeners are all done, the door stiffeners and frames are done, Ross has given me the paper upper skin pattern. So when the Panel arrives I can make the entire upper structure forward of Frame 11, which will be a long and large job in itself.
Right now, just about all of the cockpit fittings are done, so when the structure is there, the fitting will be reasonably quick.
My guess is only 12-18 months to go now.

A LOT has been riding on receiving the panel to finalise the upper shape.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Hey, Killratio, I kinda get the drift that you are a Spitfire fan(atic). Whenever you need a break, I would request that you think of your ideal Spitfire mission, and then post it on the multi-player sub-forum. Check out how to do MP with this link: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=63659, plus some checking around and practice. We'll fly anywhere. Last week one of our guys flew a Spifire on trip to Quesnel Lake in Canada! He got it out of that bumpy little strip! So think about it. NO. Wait. That's too complicated. Just DO it. Post the mission. Sunday at 1800 Zulu. The A2A Misfit Squadron will be there, most, if not all, in Spitfires.

Keep on rockin' in free world (kinder, gentler machine gun hand)

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 29 Jul 2019, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”