Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire K9817 Build

Post by Jacques »

Darryl, is that a genuine automatic boost cut out gate...or are you stamping in design/part numbers into your build as well? 🤔👍 (Still the most consistently interesting thread in A2A history!)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Thank you Jacques!

The ABCO-O is a remake. Yes, I stamp the parts where I have either the drawing or a photo of the part with the drawing number visible. The throttle was done, unfortunately, before I got my 3/32" (2.38mm) stamp kit, so it is done in 1/8th"
(3mm). You can see the traces of the part numbers on the Fuel Plate too. Added to the numbers are inspection and manufacturer's stamps as well.

The back of the Throttle:

The personal Inspector's and Maker's mark that I use.

A few real parts with stampings:

I like the fact that most of these get covered and therefore are never seen by anyone...but I know they are there.

I've also adopted a policy, where a part has been modified by Sept/Oct 1940, that I make it as per original and THEN modify it, rather than make it in the modified form.

The most striking example (no pun intended...well, maybe a little) is the striker plate for the undercarriage warning horn switch. That was modified in about May 1940 after complaints that the warning horn came on at too high a throttle setting. The simple answer was to reduce the size of the striker so that the throttle had to be closed even further before the horn was switched on.

This was originally THIS shape

And then changed to THIS:

But a cutdown one is slightly different to a new one... I've also double stamped the number, including the new part number after alteration, XXXXing out the original number.
Again, incredibly small pieces of the puzzle but great fun to ferret out and I know they are in there!
Last edited by Killratio on 17 Dec 2020, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Well, again, I’m just bowled over by the level of detail. I mean, all you’re missing there is a pot of used oil to smudge into the drawing and series numbers (if that is how they differentiated modifications) to account for the mechanics hands and fingers as they made repairs and adjustments! I really like your personal inspector stamps, as well. (And your ‘88 Sony walkman...although my ‘86 “may” have been more robust😂)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Jacques wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 00:45 I mean, all you’re missing there is a pot of used oil to smudge into the drawing and series numbers (if that is how they differentiated modifications) to account for the mechanics hands and fingers as they made repairs and adjustments! I really like your personal inspector stamps, as well.
Thank you Sir!!

It is a sickness :)

Jacques wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 00:45 (And your ‘88 Sony walkman...although my ‘86 “may” have been more robust😂)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

The new workshop is progressing well after some MAJOR delays due to builders, suppliers etc.

Site inspection of new pad (Inspectors seemed quite happy)

The main materials have arrived. Just a window and a couple of things to come.

The plans and workshop layout.

(The lathe and Mill remain where they were in the garage.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bonus points for Doggos in the pics too KR! :mrgreen: 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Getting there:

Not yet water proof but some fixtures starting to go in.... the almost 20 sqm 210 Sq ft of shelving.

Main "small tools" workbench. 6' x 2'6".

The large main bench 6'x 3' I will build from scratch from Jarrah and that can't be done until
the shed is flashed and sealed. It will go to right of picture.

The left and rear....

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Holy Smokes! Now that is a man cave! 8)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

It will be...if Stratco EVER deliver ALL of the components for their "prefab kit". We are now up to 8 deliveries over 8 weeks and there is still one piece missing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe sounds like those bloody magazine collections, new bit of kit with each issue! The issues of course get cancelled after the first 5 and you then have to pester the company to actually send you direct the remaining bits for what turns out to be a cost 50 times more than just buying a kit from the model shop :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Exactly!

One week on and all of the parts have been delivered but the workshop is still not done. The builder has been unable to level and fit the roller door as the axle appears to be bent from being lifted incorrectly on a crane or similar.

Just about ready to give up. The workshop is still not water tight and no further gear can be shifted in to it or built/completed. It will now be at least another 2-3 weeks before it is.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Wow this is going to be fantastic when it is finished. Hope they hurry up for you mate.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

It is Rob... if it ever happens. I am actually just off home now quickly to see if the window and main ridge capping have been installed today.
The roller door should be sorted out Saturday (but then "it seems to me I've heard that song before ")

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Well, at long last the workshop is complete. A small leak in the roof owing to the truly terrible weather we are having but that will be easy to sort.
Hopefully pics this weekend with the machines installed... 12 months almost in the making!!!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”