Flying tips and advice available if needed

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Andysim
Senior Airman

Re: Flying tips and advice available if needed

Post by Andysim »

ok so I just got the Spitfire and made my first flight today without crashing and after some headscraching, I did have a small problem with the windows fogging up. I found the window fog switch but that only works on the main front window, the only way I could clear it was to open the canopy in flight! . I am guessing wearing oxygen mask would help too but flying at low atitudes is it normal?

Overall a fantastic bird to fly that sounds so wonderfull. Im flying round the Orbx Pacific northwest scenery at sunset its like im on a diffrent planet!

PS I also have the B-17 and thats fantasic too.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

You probably mean the window deicer switch. In order to get rid of the window fog you have to open the cockpit ventilation. You can find the wheel for that in the top right corner above the RPM gauge and just below the glareshield.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

How come that, the MKIa have MerlinIII engine but, i cant use the Rotol propeller with it.. (only mkII)

if i know correctly after the MerlinII the III's most important upgrade was the rotol constant unit fitted to the differential gear

is it possible to use it? (patch maybe)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The Mk I at the time A2A has modelled was using the DeH 20 Airscrew predominantly. The ROTOL production was diverted to the Hurricane which benefited more greatly for the increased performance. The Mk II Spitfire got next call on ROTOL because being heavier, the performance was slightly worse than the Spitfire Mk I.

Thus at the time modelled it is unusual for a Spitfire Mk I to have a Rotol.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

it's sad..

it is hardcoded that it can't use it at nowaday's?

im flying with the mkIa in 1997;)

just kidding

understand

but... it would be great.................. after all it's an MKIII

Rockitglider
Airman First Class

Post by Rockitglider »

Hello,

Well I think I hjave the MkII figured out as far as the radiator goes. I just did a flight from Concrete to vancouver(No landing), then turned towards Orcas island and landed after one go araound, I took of right away from Concrete before my radiator could reach 100c, then as soon as I clean up the plane and get my lights set and close Rad. flap to red line, I reduce everything RPM's and Boost, and climb at a slow rate. Like this I was able fly below 5000' and cruise at around 144kias with season set to summer in mid day for a couple of hours without my temp going over 90c, for the most part it stayed around 88c, the only time it went over this was when I had to do a go around coming in too low on the first try at Orcas, but as soon as I get cleaned up again I reduced my throttle again and the temp went back down. Also the rad flap stayed on normal the whole way untill landing. I seems to work well this way and is great to fly this plane low and slow in the PNW. Have fun!

Rockitglider 8)
Image Image

Prozac
Airman Basic

Post by Prozac »

Can anyone explain what the boost gauge is telling me? I get that this is just a manifold pressure gauge calibrated to psi instead of inches. I just want to be sure I understand what I am looking at. I am guessing that the '0' marking on the gauge would equate to 30" of MP on a standard day at sea level and that anything above zero represents "overboosting" provided by the supercharger. Can anyone confirm?

st82nd
Airman

Post by st82nd »

Here's a start up video. It's a little deferent than the A2A one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbC ... age#t=136s

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

st82nd wrote:Here's a start up video. It's a little deferent than the A2A one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbC ... age#t=136s
Yes, slightly different because THAT one is a Mk IX. The equipment differs from te Baby Spitfire's represented by A2a

cheers

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Prozac wrote:Can anyone explain what the boost gauge is telling me? I get that this is just a manifold pressure gauge calibrated to psi instead of inches. I just want to be sure I understand what I am looking at. I am guessing that the '0' marking on the gauge would equate to 30" of MP on a standard day at sea level and that anything above zero represents "overboosting" provided by the supercharger. Can anyone confirm?

Correct.

As a quick (and rough) guide, x2 + 30 will convert to Inches of Mercury.

So +9 boost is about 48".

Darryl

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

Did I missed it in the manuals, or there is no mention of the proper landing approach that would not result in coolant streaming into the airflow ? :D

I found that it is pretty much impossible to do a typical straight-in landing. Long and steady approach will result in coolant temp exceeding 120° long before the runway threshold, and trying to taxi will result in loosing almost all of it before we'll be able to reach the ramp :?

Overhead Break do work though, but still trying to pin the numbers to do it by, 1500ft AGL @ 200mph initial do work so far.
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Hi

Search the forum, plenty of advice on radiator handling.

No she will not take a normal circuit or long straight in approach. A tight racetrack circuit at 800AGL and with the runway at your left wingtip as you go around. Gear down at 160mph (no more and not much less) 3/4 of the way along downwind, turn a curved (and combined) base and final when at the end of the runway and drop flaps just as strightening onto final. Land three point and get flaps up asap..do not extend taxi.

regards

Darryl

tjeuten
Airman Basic

Post by tjeuten »

Killratio wrote:Hi

Search the forum, plenty of advice on radiator handling.

No she will not take a normal circuit or long straight in approach. A tight racetrack circuit at 800AGL and with the runway at your left wingtip as you go around. Gear down at 160mph (no more and not much less) 3/4 of the way along downwind, turn a curved (and combined) base and final when at the end of the runway and drop flaps just as strightening onto final. Land three point and get flaps up asap..do not extend taxi.

regards

Darryl
In short:

- do it right
- do it fast

or you'll be having engine for breakfast :-)

I love it :)
Image Image

Andysim
Senior Airman

Post by Andysim »

What a wonderfull film you posted =). I had goose bumps watching it.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Im terribly sorry to trouble you guys 8) i didnt want to start a new topic becouse of this little bug, but there is a glitch in default view when looking left with canopy closed, yes this is perfectly avoidable by adjusting view but when you look to the right, there is no such glitch, maybe i have a non-perfectly shaped head that sticks through, i know that, but can you ''reshape'' my head, so it will fit ? :wink:

PS. I also spotted, that landing lights like to penetrate through the wing, im not sure if it should be like that :twisted:

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”