FLYING THE SPITFIRE: Flying a Circuit (Landing pattern)

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
NickD
Airman First Class

Re: FLYING THE SPITFIRE: Flying a Circuit (Landing pattern)

Post by NickD »

MAGGIEMAE wrote::roll: I speak Canadian,New Zealand and a smattering of American so I should be able to figure it out :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:oops: Oh some English as well Tally Ho, Bloody Hell, Old chap :roll:
I, on the the other hand, occasionally prefer to employ some good old Anglo Saxon!!! :shock:
Regards,

Nick

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

MAGGIEMAE,

Let’s see, Canadian and New Zealand with a bit of Brit and Yank. I think that means that you are indeed a speaker of “Commonwealth”. Interestingly, Commonwealth speakers can do the Yank accent as well as most Yanks, and usually with better grammar. Here are only a few from the 54 Commonwealth Nations (excepting the Brits):

from Aussiland - Mel Gibson, Cate Blanchet, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Tilda Swindon, Geoffry Rush, Naomi Watts, Rod Taylor, Rachel Griffiths, and many more;

from NZ-, Anna Paquin, Russel Crowe, Sam Neill and many others;

from Canada (O Canada) - Anna Paquin (Canuck born), Keanu Reeves, Dan Aykroyd, Mike Meyers, Christopher Plummer, Michael J. Fox, Seth Rogen, Donald Sutherland, Brendan Fraser, Oliver Platt, William Shatner, Joshua Jackson, Leslie Nielson, Graham Greene, Pamela Anderson, Sandra Oh, Mathew Perry, James Doohan, Coleen Dewhurst, Glenn Ford, Walt Disney (yes), Raymond Massey, Walter Pidgeon, Geneviève Bujold, Norma Shearer and many, many others;

from South Africa - Basil Rathbone, Glynis Johns, Ian Hunter, Charlize Theron, Juliette Prowse, Alice Kriege, Hugh Masakela, etc,;

from N. Ireland – Liam Neeson, James Nesbit, Richard Harris, Daniel-Day Lewis, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Farrel, Barry Fitzgerald;

(apologies for the sppeling or if I left someone out)

NickD,

Yeah, we all speak that stuff. My Scottish wife (Clan MacDonald, Sept: Cromb; Per mare per terras) calls it “Celtic Crude”.

Mitchell

NickD
Airman First Class

Post by NickD »

Mitchell,

My wife is Scottish too, and a MacDonald - she was born on the Isle of Harris but the family originally came from North Uist in the 1800s...don't know which sept, its not something they are too bothered about. But, she speaks fluent Gaelic, my goodness doesn't she just, she couldn't speak English 'till she went to school - so I have no idea what is being said when I'm being sworn at, just that distance is good!!! I'm pure Anglo Saxon from the deep South...originated in London.

I've discovered that you don't need to understand the language, any language, to understand when you're being cussed though!!

But I really appreciate the start of this thread....

Regards,

Nick
Regards,

Nick

Mitchell - A2A

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

NickD,

Go raibh maith agat as do garsún focail,. Tá sé i gcónaí deas a chloisteáil cineáltas den sórt sin. Féile le do bhean chéile ó mianach. Albain go deo.

Logh do thoil ar an ghramadach olc agus litriú, nach é seo mo chéad teanga.

Bheag,

Mitchell

Bigfish
Airman First Class

Post by Bigfish »

I'm new to FSX but lots of BoB2 time. My original plan was just to hop into the Accusim Spit and fly away. Fortunately I read Mitchell's Spitfire "Flying a Circuit" notes and realised I'd better learn to fly first, so equipped with my darling little A2A Cub I'm working my way through "Microsoft Flight Simulator X for pilots: Real World Training" (Jeff Van West & Kevin Lane-Cummings). The A2A Cub Manual is a work of art & labour of love in itself - thanks Mitchell! I'll save the Accusim Spit for a while - my late father started his career at Rolls-Royce grinding Merlin valves in the War, and I'd hate to make a mess of his engine!
Intel Core2 E8400 (o/c to 3.9 Ghz), MSI P35Neo2, 2GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix, Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic, SB Audigy, Direct X 9.0c, XP SP3, TM Cougar + U2nxt, TM Elite pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro+TIR 5.0b s/ware, Iiyama PLB2409HDS-B 24" monitor.

Mitchell - A2A

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

[
Bigfish wrote:I'm new to FSX but lots of BoB2 time. My original plan was just to hop into the Accusim Spit and fly away. Fortunately I read Mitchell's Spitfire "Flying a Circuit" notes and realised I'd better learn to fly first, so equipped with my darling little A2A Cub I'm working my way through "Microsoft Flight Simulator X for pilots: Real World Training" (Jeff Van West & Kevin Lane-Cummings). The A2A Cub Manual is a work of art & labour of love in itself - thanks Mitchell! I'll save the Accusim Spit for a while - my late father started his career at Rolls-Royce grinding Merlin valves in the War, and I'd hate to make a mess of his engine!
Thanks for the kind words, Bigfish.

I have suggested here before to those new to flying that to avoid unreasonable frustration and an overwhelming learning curve, not to mention the establishment of lots of bad habits, that they not begin to learn to fly in a 1,000+ horsepower fighter aircraft, but in the Cub; and to work up gradually to P-40, Spit and P-47, etc. as their knowledge and skills become developed.

The course of action you have chosen to take is most wise, little grasshopper.

The Cub is an excellent, possibly the perfect trainer for many reasons. The Cub Manual, accordingly, was designed not only to instruct regarding the Cub, but also regarding flying in general.

What do you think of the Elite pedals? They are a bit pricey, but they look solid.

Mitchell

Bigfish
Airman First Class

Post by Bigfish »

Hi Mitchell, I bought the Elite pedals with whatever Thrustmaster stick/throttle preceded the Cougar, I forget the name but it's still sitting in a box in the loft! It's the only bit of the control system without Hall sensors instead of potentiometers (I did the U2nxt conversion to the stick, and the Maestro James Hallows did the throttle) but has worked faultlessly for I guess 10 years now. Every year or so I extract it from the "cockpit" and clear the crud out & regrease the slide, that's all. The only drawback is lack of toe brakes. I did wonder about changing them for this reason, but as I find the A2A Cub models differential braking very well (full rudder and brake blipped, latter mapped to the joystick paddle) I'm not sure I'll bother. Well not ahead of getting my Accusim Spit anyway!
Intel Core2 E8400 (o/c to 3.9 Ghz), MSI P35Neo2, 2GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix, Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic, SB Audigy, Direct X 9.0c, XP SP3, TM Cougar + U2nxt, TM Elite pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro+TIR 5.0b s/ware, Iiyama PLB2409HDS-B 24" monitor.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Great info. guess I got lucky flying the spit in the pattern without reading the manual first and not crashing or exploding the engine.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

jcomm
Senior Airman

Post by jcomm »

Excellent read!

I would like to have some aspects of the flight dynamics / ground physics fine-tuned though...

.) We should be able to operate the brakes more closely to the real thing, but I tried to set the brake to a button on my TS16000 and then steer and brake to be able to have differential braking like the real thing, but couldn't make it work in FSX:SE ( I do not use FSUIPC );

.) Rudder authority at taxi speeds / power settings is overdone or the tailwheel isn't made free-castering, because I can easily steer while taxiing just by using the rudder - never mind using differential brakes unless for really really tight turns...

.) Once above flaps up stall speed the prop effects practically vanish...

But, just as my other Accusim ww2 - the Civil and Military p51 - it's a great add-on.
Use your flight simulators with a well defined purpose...

Don't expect them to be "perfect" or to fully cover all aspects of simulated flight...

Try to enjoy it instead of stressing... ( in few words - don't be like me ... )

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Try reinstalling and updating mate..none of the above should be a problem! It is obviously not working properly at your end.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”