Post by flash2 »

Thanks Steve

flash2

flash2
Senior Airman

Re: Cold Start not sticking

Post by flash2 »

Steve,

item 6) Above - I presently have MSFX Steam and am flying mostly for entertainment in a few older but significant single engine tail draggers and purposely avoiding larger airports in the US and Southern England. I am a Spitfire enthusiast from my youth during WWII and still consider it the most visually attractive plane ever, and it was a stunning advance in aviation in 1936 when first flown ( the year after I was born). I have some real flying experience with friends that owned their own planes in 1957 at San Diego Lindberg field in the US and on my 80th birthday went to Goodwood to fly in and briefly take the controls of the Dual Cockpit Spitfire at Boultbee Aviation. An exhilarating and memorable experience. It seems I am a latent and visceral Spitfire pilot, so wanted to fly in and train on the Tiger Moth, Harvard, and Spitfire. A2A and Ant's airplane afforded me that opportunity and I do it sporadically for fun and to learn about those planes in more detail. I fly VFR only and have a couple of books on learning to fly from a friend who pilots a Dassault Falcon 8 for a private client. I am telling you this so you can calibrate my interests better as I am trying to learn and decide to go FSX or 3PD in order to incorporate Orbx True Earth programs. I have 21 Orbx Central programs now and am hoping that I can duplicate those in True Earth, if and when they release them. I will be writing them soon to inquire about that. My understanding is that in order to incorporate True Earth into my sim I have to have either FSX or 3PD 4.2? whereas prior to talking to you I thought that FSX/3Pd was one program. I see now that Orbx Central offers the choice of either and if I update I would appreciate your guidance on what directions to go. You mention FSX for entertainment and 3PD for learning. I am not adverse to learning but as mentioned previously will probably always go VFR (reason for True Earth) and not get involved in complex traffic patterns a large airports. I tend to fly where I sail (New England shoreline) and where my kids live. ( US - Seattle, Monterey, Montrose CO, Grand Junction CO Manassas VA, Poughkeepsie NY, and of course southern England with it's lush green fields and farms and history).

Hope I haven't overburdened you with minutia but I am in the learning stage and as with the proven visual acuity process tend to go in circles until I focus on what it is I am looking for. Visual acuity is much faster

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

flash2

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Steve,

Ps I would like to end up with something that is fully supported and avoid the Dovetail and MS ping pong experience!

flash2

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I too am currently on FSX:SE and planning for an upgrade in the new year. After looking at the best options available now I'm going with P3D solely for the graphics as I do a lot of VFR flying as well. I got XP11 just before discovering A2A a while ago, but I couldn't find a single airplane that I wanted to fly so never used it. Having now discovered A2A , X-Plane is a non-starter for me unless A2A is involved. I know I'll have to purchase all the Orbx Global, Regional and Airport sceneries all over again, but whatever...whenever I see a P3D screenshot or video, the graphics are enough to convince me to go that direction.

The Orbx True Earth series of sceneries is an X-Plane product...the equivalent of the Orbx "Regions" for FSX and P3D, so unless you're moving to XP, you won't be buying True Earth, just the FSX/P3D Global/Regional sceneries. Orbx offers detailed sceneries for southern England and the whole west coast of the US, with a number of more detailed airports available for those areas as well. Their offerings for the NE US are airports alone at this time, but openLC North America does a good job of enhancing it in a general sense.

The general joke about the P3D licensing issue is that you can learn or work, but DO NOT be entertained by it... :roll: There's no reason anyone cannot be a student of aviation and actually enjoy it at the same time as far as I'm concerned, so I'll buy the Academic version and be a "student" if I can live with the watermark or I'll buy the Professional version in case I decide to make a business out of it in the future. I am quite certain there are others who have reached the same conclusion...ish... :wink: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I also fly VFR and am a big fan of the Spitfire. So for me there is no alternative but the A2A version with Accu-sim. 50 re-skins and counting. :lol:
For me, that means P3D v4 for now but I suspect it will eventually find its way into MSFS 2020. If it happens in my life time then I will probably follow it there.

There are allot of TrueEarth US regions for X Plane and will no doubt find their way into P3D eventually. It's obvious they are concentrating on X Plane first because it only has one season and not four as in FSX or P3D, so is much quicker and simpler to do. Also, being an entertainment platform it is, or will be, much more lucrative I suspect.

As for the licensing, it's a non issue for me. Training, simulating, learning, whatever you want to call it. It's all the same to me. I use to have fun in school in physics, history and maths lessons. Still do point of fact. So it's all hyperbole in my opinion, about not being allowed to have fun while learning.

Steve

flash2
Senior Airman

P3D4 vs MS2020 +

Post by flash2 »

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I took a couple of looks at MS2020 and it looks interesting but got a gut reaction that they mean 2021 or 22 if Alpha testing now and Beta testing next year in the Spring unless they release early with all the bugs and let the users straighten it out.

In the mean time I have asked some questions of P3D and have copied them here so you might possibly respond since you are a present P3D user if I understood correctly. The following is my note to P3D

I am interested in upgrading from MSFSX Steam to P3D4.5 Academic version and upgrading to your Maximum hardware specifications and have a few questions:

I presently have numerous Orbx programs- Scenery, trees, buildings, General airports,Specific airports in the US and England, and wondered if these programs enhanced those presently in P3D4.5 or do they in any way degrade scenery or performance etc.? I do own them and can upload them free but would do so only if they improve the scenery.

Is P3D4.5 scenery as good as True Earth for X Plane

I use Spad.nexT to configure and operate my Saitek FIPs and radios panels and configure my External Panels ( plane profiles). Is this compatible with P3D4.5 and can I continue to use them? I also use third party suppliers for my instrument configurations, some of which have been designed for me and operate off of A2A Lvars for specific planes. Third party gauge software suppliers are FipGauges , Fsx Times and Saitek

I fly A2A Spitfires and T-6 Planes with Accu- sim and Ant's Tiger Moth Pro and assume that I can continue to fly these planes on P3D.

I also use Saitek Combat Pedals, Throttle Quadrants, Trim wheels and CH fighter stick, all configured for the specific plane I am flying without having to reconfigure when changing planes. (i.e ) Controls are configured once and presently work on all planes. Is this compatible with P3D.

The principal considerations for switching to P3D are accurate realistic imaging for flying VFR and Program Support.

Any other things you could suggest in this planned upgrade to P3D4.5 would be appreciated.

Thank you,
flash2

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yes, the new sim from Microsoft does look very interesting. My only concern is with it being always on-line to get best results. That, and how long it would take A2A to get their products into it, if ever.

All your Orbx scenery, mesh and others you use in FSX will go just fine into P3D v4.5. Academic or Professional. It's all interchangeable and can be installed in both sims at the same time if needed. I have all the Global range and complete coverage of the UK with their regional areas, plus all the UK airports. I do get a performance hit while flying over large cities. Then it depends greatly on how high you have the sliders in P3D settings and the power of your PC. The same can also be said for FSX.

Orbx regional scenery is far superior to standard scenery in P3D. TrueEarth is better again. I have TrueEarth Southern UK and it is better looking and more accurate than their regional areas. Unfortunately it has a big hit on FPS on my current rig. Down to the low teens in some areas. Cities mainly.

I know nothing of Spad.nexT. Only what I have picked up in the forums and from what I gather, you should have no problem. Perhaps someone with hands-on experience could answer that more thoroughly.

The A2A Spitfire and T-6 for FSX do not run in P3D v4. You would have to buy those again. They are both 64 bit and are specific to P3D v4 and also, will not run in earlier versions of P3D. I also Have Ant's Tiger Moth Pro and it runs fine in P3D v4. It is in fact compatible with FSX, FSX: Steam, P3D v4, v3, v2 and v1.

I use CH Throttle, Stick and Pedals configured in P3D. As far as I know all the equipment you mention should be compatible but would no doubt have to be re-calibrated for a different sim, regardless of which one you choose.

As you know, Orbx regions are better than default scenery in FSX. Even Global BASE Pack is better than default and they all work in P3D. Orbx Vector and openLC gives an accurate representation of rivers, roads, railways and topography. The buildings in towns and cities are generic but are pretty convincing and can be improved on using some of their airport add-ons. TrueEarth is better again but as I said, it comes with a performance hit on my computer so I don't use it. Next year I will be upgrading to something with at least a GTX 2080 TI. Hopefully that will improve things for me.

As you have no doubt gathered by now it's going to be expensive to upgrade. You have the scenery, you have the hardware which, no doubt, can be configured for P3D v4 if you go that route. All you need is the P3D v4 specific A2A Spitfire and T-6.

Apologies for rambling on there. Hope you can make sense of all that. :lol:

Steve.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

bladerunner900 wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 22:04 I also fly VFR and am a big fan of the Spitfire. So for me there is no alternative but the A2A version with Accu-sim. 50 re-skins and counting. :lol:
Steve, I've been meaning to say thank you very much for some of those 50 skins! When I first got the Spit I looked through all the liveries on the forum and didn't see anything I really liked, but I wasn't flying it much anyway so just quit looking. When I finally dragged it out of the hangar for some training, I looked on Avsim and found pretty much all of my boyhood heroes' liveries by Steve. I didn't realise Steve was you until I scrolled to the bottom of the read me file one day...so for Johnny Johnson, JJ Jr, Robert Stanford Tuck, Buzz Buerling, Douglas Bader etc. thank you very much!! :D
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

You are most welcome Rob. It all started out as an exercise to replace skins no longer available, made by nath2889. The Spitfire is an icon of freedom to me. That may sound corny no doubt, but the more I found out about the kids who flew them, the more I grew to admire them. They were of their time and stepped up to the job needed to be done.

It also brought me closer to understanding my farther, who was a Royal Marine in 1941-46. He was very quiet about it but reading between the lines, he went through hell in Europe and Asia.

Steve.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Steve,

re a performance hit on you set up for True Earth South - what are the computer requirements for Ture Earth South so that one would not take a performance hit. Is it the max P3D 4.5 requirements or beyond?

How far south does True Earth south go - I would assume that it covers Portsmouth naval yard , Wright Is , South Hampton etc. but what is the Northern boundary and does it cover Shoreham, Compton Abbas, Popham. Goodwood etc.

Thanks,
flash2

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

That doesn't sound corny at all man, I get it! I was brought up into the love of Spitfires in particular and WWII aviation biographies in general by my Dad who used to draw airborne battle scenes with Spitfires and Messerschmitts, etc. for me. At a very young age I *wrote* (plagiarised from multiple sources, but complied along with traced drawings by me... :wink: ) a book on Spitfires. You are spot on about the kids that flew these airplanes into battle...it's hard to even imagine actually and it's no wonder that so many of them were lost at such young ages. The ones that excelled and endured are at the pinnacle of my heroes list...

I have in the past, purchased other Spitfires for FSX but never really flew them much, so having now discovered the A2A Accu-Sim Spitfire, it feels like boyhood dreams realised to be able to fly a REAL Spitfire!! :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

flash2 wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 12:03 Steve,

re a performance hit on you set up for True Earth South - what are the computer requirements for Ture Earth South so that one would not take a performance hit. Is it the max P3D 4.5 requirements or beyond?
Truthfully, I have no idea. As however much you can afford I would say. The 1080Ti would be good one to consider perhaps, coupled with an i9 processor of some description. Myself, I will be getting a new system early next year, with at least the 2080Ti and i9 fitted, along with some fast memory and solid state M.2 type hard drives. It really depends on what is around at the time. :lol:
flash2 wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 12:03How far south does True Earth south go - I would assume that it covers Portsmouth naval yard , Wright Is , South Hampton etc. but what is the Northern boundary and does it cover Shoreham, Compton Abbas, Popham. Goodwood etc.
I don't really know. I flew mostly over South Wales and the south coast of England. I didn't really linger. My two GTX980 in SLI coped fairly well in rural areas but soon slowed down over towns like Swansea and Cardiff. London was almost a slide show as FPS dropped to single figures on occasion. So I uninstalled it and will try again next year.

I have the Orbx airports of Shoreham, Compton Abbas and Popham, so those are very good. I also have UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 2 installed and those are pretty good too. Some would say they are a bit dated now but they still hold up well in my opinion.

Steve
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 20 Dec 2019, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 12:05I have in the past, purchased other Spitfires for FSX but never really flew them much, so having now discovered the A2A Accu-Sim Spitfire, it feels like boyhood dreams realised to be able to fly a REAL Spitfire!! :mrgreen:
Yeah. I have a few others too. The RealAir, Dunkirk Spitfire and another Mk. V by Justflight for FSX, which runs in P3D. Strangely enough I never fly them either.

Speaking of the Mk. V. Hey A2A. How about that one you have had on hold for, seven years is it? :wink:

Steve.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Thanks to a discount with Orbx TrueEarth I now have full cover of the UK so thought I'd give it another go.

It seems some in-house scenery 'optimisation' has paid off as things seem to be running better. So much so that I have taken out the UK Regional areas. I still have to throttle back the setting in P3D but I'm quite happy with it at present. The combination of photo-real and 3D objects is quite convincing. Buildings still look generic mostly, but at least I can now see a proper representation of my local towns and villages. Land class is a vast improvement as topography looks more convincing.

Time for a PC upgrade I think.

Steve.

P.S. Mach Loop looks awesome. :D

P.P.S. Barrel rolls in the C172, in the Mach Loop are awesome. :lol:

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”