Cold Start not sticking

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
flash2
Senior Airman

Cold Start not sticking

Post by flash2 »

I am not able to get the cold start condition to stick in saved flights with Spitfires and T-6 so that the plane opens cold when starting FSX. I can do Shift+3 to enter the cold start set up for everything off and parking brake on and chocks in place then save this condition in my flights but when selecting this flight again it does not open in the Cold condition and have to repeat the Shift+3 cold start selection to continue. Part of the fun to me is to always enter the plane in the cold start mode and to turn everything on prior to start up.

Any suggestions?
flash2

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Cold Start not sticking

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello Flash2,

A2A Spitfires for FSX are different from the T-6. They do not "remember" all settings from the previous flight unless the flight is saved and loaded.
The T-6 resembles the GA planes in these settings and is in the same configuration you leave it without saving. You can always use Shift+3 menu to force Cold start.
:wink:

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thanks Vladi,

I do go to Shift+3 and insure everything is off and Save the flight and even make it my preferred flight and load it and it still is not cold. One thing I am not doing is actually starting the plane and flying it! - in the interest of sorting out the problem. I will try again and compare the T-6 Cold start condition. I am also flying a Ant's new Tiger Moth Pro and the cold conditions sticks with the upgraded software.

flash2

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Vladi,

Yup! Many tries and Spitfire does not stick cold start and the T-6 does. Does anyone know why?

flash2

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what is your default flight set too?

By default its the jet fighter powered on at the end of the runway.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Lewis,

I keep changing my default flight to what I am flying most. Now I remember that someone recommended it should be an FSX plane but I never fly it so gravitated away from that. I have set it to Spitfire in the past and it opens to that but it won't in a cold start condition.
Any suggestions?

flash2

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello

yes the default flight should always be a default aircraft otherwise it can cause load corruption for complex simulations including our range of Accu-sim products.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

My understanding of 'default flight', is seeing a standard P3D aircraft spinning round and round when the sim first starts up.

Using the Maul as default in P3D v4 and then changing to the Spitfire, or any other complex third party aircraft prior to actually starting the flight has always worked for me. The same was also true for me in FSX. Gold or Steam edition.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Have selected the P51 Mustang Racer on FSX Steam as a default flight and most everything working fine with Proper instrument selection coming up with the P51 on initial startup in Spad.nexT. Three concerns or questions.

1) Still can't get the Spitfires to come up cold start after closing the previous flight in that condition and saving and even calling it my preferred flight. Still go to Shift+3 to select cold start after that. Ant's Tiger Moth Pro, and T-6 come up Cold on initial start.

2) The only instrument configuration that comes up automatically in Spad.nexT is the preferred flight, the FSX P 51

3) Don't have any info on P51 like pilots notes/manual or any Shift+ keys in FSX to learn how to fly it. ( I wasn't intending to fly this plane but since it is my preferred flight and free I may as well)

Any suggestions?
flash2

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Flash2,

It is preferable to leave the FSX Trike Ultralight as your default flight. As far as I remember, Spitfires do not have the same level of coding as the T-6 or the GA planes, that is why they cannot "remember" certain parameters when loaded for another flight. A2A team - Lewis or Nick can correct me if I am mistaken. :wink:

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I agree. The Trike was always my default in FSX. I fired up FSX:Steam earlier to try the Spit. and she seems fine on loading up a scenario with the Spitfire, as long as she was shut down before saving it.

It turns out my default flight with the Trike had the engine running and lights were on. This was a problem for the Spitfire at first. Nose over, smash the prop sort of problem. After re-saving the default Trike as shut down and lights off there was no further problem with that.

Steve.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Thanks for the suggestions,

Why is an ultra light trike a good default plane if the others I fly are tail draggers?

Does it load quicker because of its simplicity?

Most of my loading time is due to the Basic MFX Steam prior to selection of Free Flight and then after that most of the time is scenery/ settings/traffic etc. and respective plane seems minimal although I would have thought it the most time consuming.

Am I missing something?

flash 2

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

flash2 wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 18:56 Thanks for the suggestions,

Why is an ultra light trike a good default plane if the others I fly are tail draggers?

Does it load quicker because of its simplicity?

Most of my loading time is due to the Basic MFX Steam prior to selection of Free Flight and then after that most of the time is scenery/ settings/traffic etc. and respective plane seems minimal although I would have thought it the most time consuming.

Am I missing something?

flash 2
Your not missing anything. The A2A Spitfire was originally just another basic FSX aircraft to start with. Until they added Accu-sim. I guess it's still tied to the original sim engine like all the rest of them really. Legacy can be a b****, or a blessing I guess. As for the load up time being longer, that depends on your add-ons. Start-up of FSX for me is pretty quick. I's vanilla, no extra scenery, weather engine or any other aircraft except a couple of A2A ones. P3D on the other hand takes AGES. Loads of Orbx regions, airports, mesh, weather engine and third party AI. Can be very annoying. :lol:

Steve.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Steve,

Where to Start? - I have MSFX Steam and considering switching to FSX/3PD for a number of reasons. I fly the new Ant' Tiger Moth Pro, A2A T6 , and Spitfires in the VFR mode only. I have numerous Orbx scenery programs in the US and England and fly into small airports. Examples are Goodwood and Popham and Shoreham in England and Vashon in Seattle, Monterey CA, and numerous small New England airports on the US East coast.

I) Realistic (True Earth) Scenery is important to me ( not just Airport details) - Does Orbx give discounts for upgrading to true earth and do they have true earth for the airports and areas mentioned above?

2) Plane details and proper operating characteristic are key. ( I have flown in the Actual planes that I have on Sim - not a licensed pilot) Things like cold start and handling are important

3) Support - Can't list the number of times I have opened tickets on Dovetail only to be told go to Microsoft who don't answer at all. Can I assume that Lockheed is supporting 3PD better than that?

4) Real time Weather - Can't get this to operate and found just recently that it has been discontinued some time ago on MSX. Does it exist in 3PD.

5) Simulator Equipment Specifications - Does one have to upgrade to the maximum specs to good results or can something a little shy of those still justify proper performance in 3PD

6) Is FSX/3PD the same as 3PD as I see that Orbx seems to be coming out with a lot more for X plane. Is there a reason for that? Performance related or marketing/business driven.

Lots of questions and I apologize for dumping them all on you but didn't know where else to ask. Send me in another direction if that makes more sense to you.

Thanks,
flash2

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I'll answer what I know.

1) No discounts as far I know. I have full coverage of the UK with their regions and paid full price for their TrueEarth GB South. The airports looked good, better than default but their individually available airports are much better.

2) As far as I know only Accu-sim gives persistence. As in if I shut down in one of their GA and go back to it a month later, it is definitely cold and I get complaints about leaving it for so long without CamGuard.

3) I've had no real trouble with P3D but have taken part on the LM forums when someone posts a question or problem. Queries are usually responded to and sorted fairly quickly as far as I've seen. Like any other forum, there are usually some enthusiastic responses. If it's technical they usually talk you through it.

4) Real weather exist only if you use an add-on of some sort. I use Active Sky for P3D v4

5) I use the same CH throttle and stick across both platforms. You invest in what you think it is worth to you. I don't have multiple throttles for instance, because I am mostly interested in singe engine warbirds and use a joystick where a yoke would be more appropriate in GA.

6) Not sure what you mean here. FSX is for entertainment and P3D is for learning or training. P3D shares a common ancestry with FSX but they diverged years ago. More X Plane stuff from Orbx? It may seem so but they came late to X Plane. After version 11 was it? I guess they have a lot of ground to catch up on over FSX and P3D, so I suspect it just looks like they are doing more at the moment.

Steve

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”