OVERHEATING AT JFK. PLS HELP!!!!!!!!

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
ironmanthe3000
Airman

OVERHEATING AT JFK. PLS HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

I am sorry, i know this is silly question, HOW DO I KEEP THIS BEAUTIFUL BIRD COOL ON LONGER TAXI AIRPORTS AND A LOT OF WAITINGS.......

MY PROBLEM IS TOWER HOLDS ME FOR LONG TIME AND I OVERHEAT ENGINE, ANY TRICK WOULD BE HELPFUL, THANK YOU GUYS.

PS : I am desperately waiting for aerostar...... I love your dedication to give people very best simulations ever in the history of flight simming, i mean it.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: OVERHEATING AT JFK. PLS HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hmmmm, I would recommend to fly out of an other airport, I don’t know about any cheats....maybe you can turn off Accu-Sim during taxi?
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Tomas is right on about picking a different airport. The Spitfire radiator is very small and depends upon the airflow from flight to cool the engine sufficiently. The clock is ticking once you start the engine and you don’t have very many minutes to spare! 😉

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Different airport, man. The Spitfire was designed for one thing: Get up in the air QUICKLY, fly high, and kill enemy bombers, fighters, whatever. Sitting on the ground in this thing will melt your engine. It's like trying to drive a serious hotrod in rush hour traffic. Not happening.

Don't turn off anything. Just fly her out of appropriate airports. KHQM comes to mind. THEN, think about joining the A2A Misfit Squadron on our Battle of Britain commemorative flight (Sunday, September 13th). It will posted in the A2A Multiplayer (MP). Ratty, our illustrious squadron leader, is planning the flight. We won't even know where we're going until somebody rings the bell...

Seeya
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ironmanthe3000 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:42 I am sorry, i know this is silly question, HOW DO I KEEP THIS BEAUTIFUL BIRD COOL ON LONGER TAXI AIRPORTS AND A LOT OF WAITINGS.......

MY PROBLEM IS TOWER HOLDS ME FOR LONG TIME AND I OVERHEAT ENGINE, ANY TRICK WOULD BE HELPFUL, THANK YOU GUYS.

PS : I am desperately waiting for aerostar...... I love your dedication to give people very best simulations ever in the history of flight simming, i mean it.
The Spit was not designed for flight out of airports requiring long taxi time. It will over heat every time, especially the early Spits. Their cooling system simply won't handle those long taxis, especially on hot non-windy days.
I am assuming you have your rad shutters open all the way. :-)
I can tell you that even a Mustang can over heat in these conditions. The only "solution you have" really is to stop periodically and face the wind.
I always did my runups in the P51 facing the wind.
Dudley Henriques

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

thank you for helping me out , yes you are right.

thanks i thought i was doing something wrong.

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 21:16
ironmanthe3000 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:42 I am sorry, i know this is silly question, HOW DO I KEEP THIS BEAUTIFUL BIRD COOL ON LONGER TAXI AIRPORTS AND A LOT OF WAITINGS.......

The Spit was not designed for flight out of airports requiring long taxi time. It will over heat every time, especially the early Spits. Their cooling system simply won't handle those long taxis, especially on hot non-windy days.
I am assuming you have your rad shutters open all the way. :-)
I can tell you that even a Mustang can over heat in these conditions. The only "solution you have" really is to stop periodically and face the wind.
I always did my runups in the P51 facing the wind.
Dudley Henriques
yes sir.
I have read all the information you have written in past about p51d, and it was very helpful now im trying to master this bird..
Thanks, ill do that. i have shutters all the way open. but ill try not to go on big airports..
Last edited by ironmanthe3000 on 14 Jul 2020, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

ironmanthe3000
Airman

Post by ironmanthe3000 »

Paughco wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 20:52 Different airport, man. The Spitfire was designed for one thing: Get up in the air QUICKLY, fly high, and kill enemy bombers, fighters, whatever. Sitting on the ground in this thing will melt your engine. It's like trying to drive a serious hotrod in rush hour traffic. Not happening.

Don't turn off anything. Just fly her out of appropriate airports. KHQM comes to mind. THEN, think about joining the A2A Misfit Squadron on our Battle of Britain commemorative flight (Sunday, September 13th). It will posted in the A2A Multiplayer (MP). Ratty, our illustrious squadron leader, is planning the flight. We won't even know where we're going until somebody rings the bell...

Seeya
ATB

yes khqm seems best option.... ill try to fly from small airports.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

If you have to taxi long distances you can keep the speed up (not really advisable on the ground!) taxi with short bursts of power and a longer idle (again, not really advisable) and spend as much time as possible taxiing into wind.
Apart from that small airfields are the way to go. With the early Spitfires the pilots soon made themselves very unpopular with the ground crews if they got hot and had to shut down, either at the runway or near it, before takeoff or same on landing. This then required the AMs to drag a heavy trolley accumulator out to the aircraft. :lol:

I was abused at one stage by some muppet when I told him he shouldn't be trying to taxi his Spitfire around Schiphol and then complaining that it boiled.
I asked him if he had every tried to fly his 747 out of YBUN and he told me not to be stupid "it wasn't built for it". :roll: :roll: :roll:

<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh the irony KR hehe :lol: :lol: :lol:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 09:41 Oh the irony KR hehe :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”