Spitfire after update is unmanageable

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
farman
Airman

Spitfire after update is unmanageable

Post by farman »

Hi,
I flew the v4.3 Spit without any issue since the installation of the update, a few days ago. After that, I can't take off without rolling right & left on the runway, without controlling the TO itself and, eventually with the plane crashing after bumping on the tarmac.
I left the very same settings and controls in FSUIPC, I TO with the same accuracy (slow increasing throttle--) as before, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing on this SP1?
I understand there are few clues, but I'm so frustrated! I'm writing you after a minimum of 20 failed TO; just for your knowledge, I'm flying with lots of other planes - mil jets, liners, propellers (MilViz Corsair, Lighting), multi propellers (your beautiful Connie etc.), but so far I never faced an issue like this.
Thanks for any answer/help.
Regards,
Fulvio

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire after update is unmanageable

Post by Paughco »

I too have noticed that takeoffs have become trickier with the latest update. Taking off in the Spitfire has now become a bit more like landing the T-6. The airplane is a bit more likely to wander off the runway, and it's more easy to overcontrol with the rudder pedals. I have found that a little bit of correction goes a long way, and it takes more effort to "stay ahead of" the aircraft. It is, eventually, manageable, however. To paraphrase Dudley, "fingers and toes, not hands and feet."

Seeya
ATB

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Work those legs. 8)

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Paughco wrote:I too have noticed that takeoffs have become trickier with the latest update. Taking off in the Spitfire has now become a bit more like landing the T-6. The airplane is a bit more likely to wander off the runway, and it's more easy to overcontrol with the rudder pedals. I have found that a little bit of correction goes a long way, and it takes more effort to "stay ahead of" the aircraft. It is, eventually, manageable, however. To paraphrase Dudley, "fingers and toes, not hands and feet."

Seeya
ATB
Hi,
thanks for your useful comment. I just made some adjustment to the "null zone" and sensitivity of my Rudder TM pedal; actually, it's much better, now.
Regards,
Fulvio

bes1971
Airman

Post by bes1971 »

Just completed a two ship multiplayer session in the recently updated Spitfire for P3D v4 & both had takeoff steering problems.
On slowly opening the throttle there is a very small turn to the right followed by a more severe turn to the left resulting in leaving the runway (even more severe than the P51). Sensitivity & null values are set as previously recommended by A2A. Once the tail lifts things become more controllable, problem is trying to survive till this phase of the takeoff run. Never had any issues pre the update.

Once airborne it is a dream to fly. landing is not an issue.

It just seems that the change to the rudder/engine torque sensitivity has been over egged or does someone have some helpful solutions to offer, rudder setting etc?

Thanking you in advance

farman
Airman

Post by farman »

Hi Bes1971,
thanks for your comment; well, at least I can't blame completely on myself, for this issue. Let's hope A2A take a look at our posts. In the meantime, I re-installed the original version.
regards,
Fulvio

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey peoples,

the update had some new flight models updates in there from our work with the Spitfire Pilots over at Boultbee Academy as part of our work on the Spitfire Simulation for public and pilot training. This has resulted in a lot more movement on the ground, so you'll be wanting to use those feet a lot more.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Just by the by.. you will also want full right aileron on takeoff, reducing at about the same rate as you add throttle. If you do that AND move the column from full back to neutral, also at the same rate, you may find things easier.

The bottom line is that the Spitfire has very little rudder authority until the tail comes off. Taxi SLOWLY, a burst of power and FULL rudder to turn when taxiing.

Basically, fly it like it is a real Spitfire. I jus need to get my setup repaired so I can fly it now...but Boultbee knows what they are talking about.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Killratio wrote: Basically, fly it like it is a real Spitfire. I jus need to get my setup repaired so I can fly it now...but Boultbee knows what they are talking about.
Darryl
I’m sure they do, but do they operate the MKI/MKII??
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

No Tomas, Boultbee don't operate a Spitifre I/II and I'm not sure what Marques Matt has flown apart from the IX... but John Romain who is also involved in the project has long experience in the Spitfire I, having test flown both P9374 and N3200 after completion and having flown one or both regularly since!

;)

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

bes1971
Airman

Post by bes1971 »

Thanks Lewis & Killratio. I have to say that the P51(renowned for its dangerous torque effect on take off is more forgiving)

Should the rudder pedal setup still be set at max sensitivity with a small null value?

Thanks

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

bes1971,

Yes, a small null zone works best for me AND I use FSUIPC to make the response curves non linear. So half rudder travel might give 1/3 rudder effect and the second half adds the extra 2/3 in a "curve". this allows fine adjustments but also heavy use and is how most rudders respond in the air anyhow. The problem with the sim is the lack of tactile feedback...so in a real aircraft, you can feel through the seat of your pants when it starts to drift..in sim, you need to watch for it.

Have a look at this video of AR 213 to see just HOW much control input is used at low speed taxiing and on the takeoff roll.

https://youtu.be/0bMrhLG3tM4 Takeoff from 3.10 onwards. Pay particular attention to the aileron and the right rudder.

regards

Darryl

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Thanks KR :D

Now we just need the update in FSX, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, if you know what I mean
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Tomas Linnet wrote:Thanks KR :D

Now we just need the update in FSX, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, if you know what I mean

:D

bes1971
Airman

Post by bes1971 »

Killratio wrote:bes1971,

Yes, a small null zone works best for me AND I use FSUIPC to make the response curves non linear. So half rudder travel might give 1/3 rudder effect and the second half adds the extra 2/3 in a "curve". this allows fine adjustments but also heavy use and is how most rudders respond in the air anyhow. The problem with the sim is the lack of tactile feedback...so in a real aircraft, you can feel through the seat of your pants when it starts to drift..in sim, you need to watch for it.

Have a look at this video of AR 213 to see just HOW much control input is used at low speed taxiing and on the takeoff roll.

https://youtu.be/0bMrhLG3tM4 Takeoff from 3.10 onwards. Pay particular attention to the aileron and the right rudder.

regards

Darryl

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”