Restart/respawn issues

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Kiwijetpilot
Airman Basic

Restart/respawn issues

Post by Kiwijetpilot »

Hi all,

I am trying to help a friend who has four of these Spitfires in four separate cockpits, running P3D.

He knows absolutely nothing about simulators or computers, as he puts it, "I just want to fly". So I have been drafted in to help. I fly simulators all day, but but the big ones on long legs.

So I understand that this is a "persistent" model, however what my friend wants to be able to do is crash the plane (not on purpose of course), and then re-spawn at the end of the runway, ready to go again. I realise that this is not realistic, but that's what he wants to do. Of course, he is encountering issues with bent props and noseovers and all that stuff.

So, my question - is it possible, via a script or a .dat file or whatever, to get the aircraft to start back on the runway, engine running, with all damage reset? And avoid having to go to the hangar?

On the big simulators, we would call this a "snapshot", that allows you to reload the aircraft in a particular state at any time.

Is this possible with the Spitfire model? By the way, it's a great model, I was very impressed with it. Might have to build a cockpit ;)

Thanks!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Restart/respawn issues

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you can turn damage on the off under the shift + 3 panel. Just load it up and turn it off and you are good to go. However the simulation is a professional level simulation so it is designed with all the bells and whistles for persistence and realism, to the degree that a variation of the technology we sell for home use with the Accu-sim Spitfire MKI-II is currently training Spitfire warbird pilots down at the Boultbee Academy at Goodwood (Its an IX not a MkI-II) and open to the public to book in and try.

http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/ ... esimulator

If your friend was to post here we could maybe help them get use to the correct running of the Spitfire MkI-II as once you have the basics down its not too difficult to fly and keep flying. Its just getting ones head around the idea that sometimes keeping cool is running harder to get more speed.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Perhaps your friend should get the JF Dunkirk Spitfire. It's a far simpler model. You could set it on the runway with engine running and save the Scenario. Set it as the Default Scenario and he could re-load every time he crashes with a CTRL+; key press. Turn off damage in the sim and he can bounce around on the scenery all day long without any problem. If he does tip it and break the prop, just do a reset, but make sure he closes the throttle while resetting.

Steve.

Kiwijetpilot
Airman Basic

Post by Kiwijetpilot »

Thanks guys.

Lewis, thanks for the info. Chances my friend will log on here are close to zero, he doesn't understand tech, which is odd as we were training captains together in our airline days. He has become a luddite ;) , so he has asked me to sort it out as I have some programming experience (Fortran, COBOL, basic, html/css etc), so I at least have the vocabulary.

Any advice you could offer towards achieving the goal of simple operation and great realism, would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming there is no script or file we could modify to get what we want? I'll try the [shift]+3 thing but I'm pretty sure he's tried that already.

FWIW, what I have seen so far of the aircraft is very impressive, so much so that I am hatching a plan to build a cockpit and mount it on a motion base. Do you know if this has been done, or have you developed any control software for a motion base?

Bladerunner900, thanks for the suggestion. We may purchase that model and see how it runs on one sim before committing to all four. The main problem would be that the sim setup of four sims is supposed to be a Battle of Britain setup, so the Mk I - II is ideal. We currently have one sim set up as an ME109, one as a FW190, one as a Hurricane and one as a Spitfire, but the goal is to have two Spitfires (maybe more as we add more cockpits).

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

just to confirm here, this is for home use otherwise a commercial license will be needed in which case just fire me a PM and we can continue this over email to help get you setup with a commercial package.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MarkusB
Airman Basic

Post by MarkusB »

Kiwijetpilot wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 12:30 FWIW, what I have seen so far of the aircraft is very impressive, so much so that I am hatching a plan to build a cockpit and mount it on a motion base. Do you know if this has been done, or have you developed any control software for a motion base?
I just saw your question regarding a motion base. You may want to have a look into the xsimulator forum (https://www.xsimulator.net/community/), where you can find tons of DIY motion platforms.
One of them even moves a DIY Spitfire cockpit, see here: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/th ... pit.12323/

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Just an opinion from a long time cockpit builder, real world aerobatic pilot and history buff.

If you feel inclined to spend money on a motion platform for a single seat fighter, please realise that you are NOT in any way creating a "more realistic" experience.

In a 737 cockpit on a motion platform, yes...you almost never exceed 30-40 degrees of bank. The sensations and cues can be made completely accurate as regards the
real thing. Likewise for small GA pits (that are not intended for aerobatics).

With a single seat fighter, unless you are prepared to have a 360 rotation, you are creating a fairground toy which past 30-40 degrees of roll in the simulation will stop
responding and even worse, past 90 degrees will "snap back" the other way. It is (arguably) fun, it makes people who don't know better think they are flying but for anyone
who knows, it complete;y kills any type of enjoyment or feeling of flying. Imagine all the complaints about force feedback joysticks behaving inappropriately times one hundred!

In my experience, much better save your money for visuals and feedback systems which CAN trick your mind and body into "feeling" roll forces. Even a simple Buttkicker
can provide a huge enhancement WITHOUT false cues.

This is the opinion I gave Richard for Boultbee (which does NOT use a motion platform) and what I have adhered to through 20 years of cockpit building
spanning a full functioning F16, a generic "flying pit" and two Spitfires of my own plus advice on several others.

FWIW

best regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MarkusB
Airman Basic

Post by MarkusB »

Killratio wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 03:42 Just an opinion from a long time cockpit builder, real world aerobatic pilot and history buff.

If you feel inclined to spend money on a motion platform for a single seat fighter, please realise that you are NOT in any way creating a "more realistic" experience.

In a 737 cockpit on a motion platform, yes...you almost never exceed 30-40 degrees of bank. The sensations and cues can be made completely accurate as regards the
real thing. Likewise for small GA pits (that are not intended for aerobatics).

With a single seat fighter, unless you are prepared to have a 360 rotation, you are creating a fairground toy which past 30-40 degrees of roll in the simulation will stop
responding and even worse, past 90 degrees will "snap back" the other way. It is (arguably) fun, it makes people who don't know better think they are flying but for anyone
who knows, it complete;y kills any type of enjoyment or feeling of flying. Imagine all the complaints about force feedback joysticks behaving inappropriately times one hundred!

In my experience, much better save your money for visuals and feedback systems which CAN trick your mind and body into "feeling" roll forces. Even a simple Buttkicker
can provide a huge enhancement WITHOUT false cues.

This is the opinion I gave Richard for Boultbee (which does NOT use a motion platform) and what I have adhered to through 20 years of cockpit building
spanning a full functioning F16, a generic "flying pit" and two Spitfires of my own plus advice on several others.

FWIW

best regards

Darryl
With your long time experience I am sure that you are right regarding the realism of motion simulators.
(360 degrees of rotation will not help making them more realistic though, if the platform is not additionally simulating lateral forces.)

So I take it as an advantage for me that I don't know how real flights feel, because I love using a motion platform. :-)

My very personal sensation is that - combined with VR - motion adds so much immersion that I don't want to miss it again. I have built a 2 DOF platform (roll & pitch) with integrated g-seat (backrest paddles and harness tensioner for sustained surge/sway and bottom paddles for sustained heave forces) plus bass shakers for vibration. In the VR environment, although still strongly limited in regards to field of view as well as resolution, rotational movements appear to be much larger than they actually are, and for me it feels just amazing. This is also the case for rollercoaster simulations, even with tracks including cork screws and loopings. (The snapping back of the rig on loopings is also not an issue anymore with the latest software version.)

But I am not in any way a serious flight simulation pilot (maybe this will change, now that I begin to learn about the phantastic A2A planes), but still mainly interested in immersive virtual environments. Thus we probably set completely different priorities.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”