P3Dv5 CTD after running fine for weeks

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
vtracy
Senior Airman

P3Dv5 CTD after running fine for weeks

Post by vtracy »

Hi everyone,
my system had been running fine all along, with ORBX sceneries and France VFR (NORM & Pas de Cal) installed and several A2A aircraft. As soon as A2A announced availability of the Spitfire Mk IIb for v5, I downloaded and installed it. On first startup of system, default country and aircraft, as soon as I switched to Spit and Goodwood (EU England): CTD. I tested several alternatives, then: Manston as airport and Mooney, Comanche 250 as a/c: CTD every time. So it seems to me that it is not the Spit itself... but what?
Any idea, anyone?
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: P3Dv5 CTD after running fine for weeks

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Volker,

We've still seeing a few reports of CTDs related to the Windshield.dll which seem to be restricted to some users of the ASP3D beta, possibly with undocked or multiple windows.

Please can you try disabling this file to see if it's the culprit in your case, either by renaming it or my moving it to another directory.

By default this file is installed to: "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\Gauges\Windshield.dll"

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Will do, Nick.
I‘ll report.
BTW: I have no ASP beta or otherwise. I only use VR. But after first CTD, tried with one window.
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick,
it did not work: I could start the default screen with the US fighter at Edwards Base, change views...
When I then changed „vehicle“ to Spitfire, I heard the sound but no picture of the a/c, then window:
„This device NVIDIA GTX 1080ti stopped working for the following reason: UNKNOWN. Do you want to exit P3D?“ and I have the options of Yes, No, Cancel. Either choice gets me to CTD.

There is one thing though which might or might not be related:
I did a „mklink“ from P3Dv4 to P3Dv5. That was to help me get my beloved Me109E installed (and it worked!).
I can send screen shots but must find out first how to do that...
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Here are the photos and a short video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6sp04fboql90 ... .jpeg?dl=0
Volker
Last edited by vtracy on 09 Jul 2020, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Volker,

I recommend that you try backing-up then deleting your Prepa3D.cfg so that the sim starts off with default settings.

However, also make sure there's no conflict between your P3Dv4 and v5 add-ons folder if you've got the Spit installed in both and you've created symbolic links between the two as mentioned.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick,
I am inclined to de-install the Spit and the Me 109E and re-install both without the symbolic link.
However, even if I do that, that still does not explain why the other A2A aircraft that are v5-capable, should not work either.
I fear that, in the end, I shall have to de-install all aircraft that are not LM default and re-install them all.
What say you?
(Thank you for your advice!)
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick, an advice, please:
I am resolved to de-install all aircraft and re-install all that are v5-certified, except your Me 109E. I like to fly the two warbirds, Spit and Me, a. because they offer a challenge to my skills, b. because they „fit“ in my studies of WW II history, particularly the Battle of Britain.
Do you have a technical hint as to how I can install the Me as ‚legally‘ as possible?

That way, I hope to have a system, consisting of P3Dv5, ORBX sceneries for v5, and (mostly A2A) aircraft certified for v5. That would make it a system with as few possible causes for errors, crashes, ‚misbehaviour‘ as I can make it. The time when I liked to tinker and cheat the FSX base just to have a few more/better sceneries or aircraft, is gone. I just want to fly as close to reality as possible.
Looking forward to an answer from you or anyone...

Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Volker,

It certainly won't do any harm to reinstall. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the FSX Bf 109 (it rather predates my time with A2A), but if you've manually moved its files into your P3Dv5 installation, they shouldn't have any effect if it's not actually loaded in the sim. Being a non-Accu-Sim aircraft, I don't believe it uses any shared files.

Did you try resetting the sim to its default graphic settings as suggested?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick, re. deleting the cfg: I‘ll do that as soon as my wife has left for her mother‘s. I assume it will develop into a somewhat longer session with the sim...
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks - it's a quick initial step to try. Rather than deleting the file, just rename it to something like "Prepar3D.cfg.bak" and then you can easily restore it.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Re. the Bf109 in P3D. A long time ago I installed her into P3D using this method. Then I backed up the folder somewhere safe. Now, whenever I re-install P3D I just drop that folder into the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder, or whatever version you have installed. It gets recognised every time. No installer, no uninstaller. Just delete the folder when finished with.

Carry on guys. :wink:

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

#Bladerunner,
thank you for the method and the encouragement!
I had asked Nick just in case there was a way to use an/the installer intelligently; if any one knows then it is the people at A2A.
Anyway, your method sounds like it keeps over several P3D versions without hassle. I‘ll try it tonight.
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick,
it looks as if my evening will not be lonely (without my wife)... I‘ll try your method first, if that doesn‘t work, the more brute force approach by deinstalling/reinstalling and usin #bladerunner‘s method of adding the Me 109E.
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Volker - please let us know how you get on.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”