P3Dv5 CTD after running fine for weeks

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
vtracy
Senior Airman

Re: P3Dv5 CTD after running fine for weeks

Post by vtracy »

Nick, complete failure, I am afraid.
1 - Prepar3D.cfg new: no change in behaviour.
2 - Complete deinstallation of all A2A and other aircraft except the LM default a/c; deletion of all symbolic links from v4 to v5:
Like always, the sim starts, the default F-35A at Randolpg AB is presented; I can change views from cockpit to external, everything, I
just did not fly it. Then, as soon as I change the „Vehicle“, e. g. from F-35 to Maule, the scenery is displayed, the aircraft sounds start
but no cockpit or any othe view, sometimes only black circles depicting the gauges, and the pilot seat (in black), together with the error
message that my graphics card has stopped rendering the aircraft, reason UNKNOWN. I tried different aircraft, same result; I started the
sim, displayed the default combination of a/c and scenery, then exited the sim, then started new: same result.
3 - „Repair“ of P3D Client and Content: no change in behaviour.

I am out of ideas, do you have any ideas? I only describe my problem, here, because it started with the installation of the new A2A Spitfire for v5, and someone mentioned that in installing it, I might have damaged, destroyed, changed,... something else that is the cause of this error. If it weren‘t for all the ORBX sceneries that I have installed, I might have done a complete reinstallation, already. It now looks to me that I may have to bite the bullet(correct saying? the German saying is, to bite into the lemon), still.

I am very open to any ideas from anyone if it helps me avoid a long evening/night of complete reinstallation.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Volker,

If you're still seeing the error message related to your graphics card after uninstalling your A2A aircraft, then it's definitely unrelated to anything in our products. The installers make no change to your P3D installation except for the files placed in Documents/Prepar3D v5 add-ons.

It might be worth checking out some of the threads on the P3D forums, but ultimately your best bet might be to wait for Hotfix 2 which should be along fairly soon with any luck.

http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136865
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15

Incidentally, provided you have Orbx stuff installed outside of your P3Dv5 directory via Central 4, a clean reinstall of P3Dv5 should be fairly painless.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Yep, "bite the bullet" is correct :)
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Thank you, Nick, for your tipps and hints. I believe that I did profit yet.
Tsking your advice, I shall wait for HF 2 to be available; and then I‘ll use that as a pretext to re-install all of P3D, taking over the ORBX sceneries, and newly install my favourite A2A aircraft. Hoping that, when I shall have to do a re-install later, I can take over the installed aircraft, too?
So, I hope to be able to ‚raid‘ the English southern coast again in my fighters...😁
Stay safe!
Greetings from a sunny Bavaria (don‘t speculate on the Oktoberfest, this year, it‘s been cancelled!)
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

I‘ e had it again!
I did a cpl reinstall of HF1 then, as soon as HF2 came out, I installed Client only(after deinstall old client).
Sim starts o. k. with default a/c and scenery. Change to A2A Spitfire Mk IIb crashes the sim. I could trick the Spit into being displayed but as soon as I tried to start it, CTD.
Installed: ORBX Germany, EU England South, France VFR Picardie & Pas de Calais. Aircraft: A2A Spit, Comanche.
Any ideas? Experiences with v5 HF2?
Volker

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Volker,

try updating the other elements too, if all you have updated is the client.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Oh boy! I thought I could avoid having to do IT all over again...
However, as the book says, on your word, I will walk the path: Deinstall all ORBX sceneries, all A2A aircraft, clean all libraries, entries evrywhere,...
Yep, there goes a weekend.
Thanks Lewis( not meant ironically)!
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Volker,

If all your add-ons are installed outside of the Prepar3D directory as recommended, then it shouldn't be necessary to reinstall them; just P3D itself. This is one of the main benefits of installing add-ons to a separate folder to the host sim.

However, as well as reinstalling P3Dv5 with the latest version, it'll also be worth deleting the sim's generated files to make sure you have a clean install of P3D itself. This involves deleting these 3 folders:

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes indeed, no need to remove addons. In your windows add/remove programs menu you'll have P3Dv5 in seperate listings, one for client, one for content, one for scenery. I would recommend at least installing content and client, though with the v5 I tend to also do Scenery every so often as its development is a little more rapid many v5 fixes are somewhat more spread out than normal it seems.

As Nick says, so long as you keep add-ons external then no need to uninstall P3D as a whole or any add-ons :)

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Thank you, Nick, Lewis!
BTW: I sent the same problem description to the LM forum..., no response so far.
I had hoped(!) that I would not need to reinstall all my sceneries and aircraft but daren‘t expect it. You confirmed my hopes, thank you!
So, I am going to deinstall all of P3Dv5 via the „Programs and Features“ window, delete all the folders created and populated by P3D, shaders and *.cfg included. I assume that when I reinstall the sim anew, it will look for and find, all my sceneries and aircraft(?).
One more thought: When I looked at the scenery library, there was no line in there that mentioned any of the sceneries that were installed outside of the sim! None! Is that by intent? Correct? (If I only knew the correspondence between the sim files and the xml installations; any idea where I can find a lecture or article describing that?)
Have a good Sunday!
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Not sure sure about the structuring of Orbx's scenery libraries Volker, but after the clean reinstall of P3Dv5, open Orbx Central 4 and go to 'settings' (the cog at top right) then under 'help' click on 'sync simulator'.

If you see any issues with how sceneries are displayed, it may also be worth using the 'verify files' option for the product(s) in question. However, for Orbx scenery, the best place to get expert advice is their own forum.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Tx Nick.
I‘ve deinstalled everything now, deleted all the files created by P3D, will clean the registry of all entries with LM in their name, using CCleaner. Hopefully, that will give me a good base for the new install.
Wish me luck...
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick,
here is my report: After clean installation, new installation of: P3Dv5 HF2 complete, test o. k.; Orbx EU England, Eu Germany North/South, several Orbx airports, I selected Mooney Bravo Retro, flew from German field(Luneburg) and Manston, no problem. Then install of Spitfire Mk IIb for v5, start sim eith pre-loaded Mooney in Manston, changed ramp, selected Spitfire as new aircraft: CTD.
Then, I restarted sim, loaded saved Manston/Mooney, then changed a/c to Spitfire before starting sim: Spit loaded ok on ramp at Manston. Then, I made technical error w. starting Spit, Spit nosedived, sim offered restart with Manston/Mooney, ok, then „Vehicles, Spitfire“: CTD!
Any ideas what I should test for you, or do to make the sim work with the Spit? (I did not install any other aircraft!).
Volker

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick et al., it worked now!
After several CTDs when selecting the Spitfire Mk IIb after flying a default aircraft, I tried a different approach. In the startup screen, I selected the Spit and the different airport (Manston) and klicked „OK“. It worked, the Spit loaded at the Ramp at Manston. I saved this combination. Today, I found the courage to fly her; I loaded the saved combination, Spit „cold & dark“. I started her up and departed. First to Dover, then over the Channel to Calais, at 200ft AGL. She handled very well, the stick not too sluggish or too nervous. At the French coast, I soared up, turned left towards Calais, found town and airport (standard P3D scenery) landed, taxied to the ramp, shut her down. Everything worked flawlessly. Wonderful! I am now happy again. Thank you, Nick, for this beautiful aircraft. Performance ca. 50-60fps at high scenery settings.
The next test will be a flight in VR... I will keep you posted.
Volker

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the updates Volker - good to hear you're managing to reduce the CTDs. I think we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the general stability of v5 will increase with future updates from Lockheed Martin. In the meantime, yes, please do keep us posted as to how you get on in VR.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Nick, and now the VR version works also. Very nice!
I made the same flight as before, with only the LCD as display, from Manston to Calais. Again, 30m(100 ft) AGL.
Exhilarating.
Having become adventurous, I have installed Orbx Netherlands TE. If that works, I will install France VFR, Pas-de-Calais. That way, when I fly my usual route from Manston to Calais, I have the ‚real‘ scenery underneath me...
Fingers crossed.
Volker

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”