Spitfire all models

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MACHAVIA
Airman First Class

Spitfire all models

Post by MACHAVIA »

Hello,
Can any one help please, cannot control nose wheel steering on take off run A/C Violentlt pulls left and results in severe damage only way I can get off the ground is disable rudder input in P3DV4.5 WIN 10 64 BIT All other A2A A/C in fleet perform impeccably on control front?.

I have uninstalled my joy stick controller Thrustmasyer HOTAXS X reinstalled drivers etc calibrated etc etc no difference should I uninstall Spitfire and re-install please advise how I uninstall I have new installers also tried configurator adjustments no difference.

i HAVE Captain of the ship, Bonanza Comanche, Cherokee & Skylane all work fine on my controller which has twist grip rudder

Best Regards
Charlie McEWAN
Best Regards
Charlie McEwan
P3Dv4.5 / Win 10 64 BIT Intel (R) Core TMi7-8700K [email protected] nvidia geforce GTX1070Ti RAM16GB

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Spitfire all models

Post by TreeTops »

Don't you mean 'tail' wheel steering? :)

The answer is to slowly add power and using lots of right rudder. Practice on a very long runway and take 15-20 seconds to get power up to takeoff. Until the rudder has some authority you will need to nurse the power up.
Everyone has this issue with the spitfire and the mustang.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

In addition to what Trev has mentioned...don’t forget the one division of “nose down” trim as well. I DID spend several hours practicing When I was new to the Spitfire. She’s a handful at first, but practice will pay off in the end. Before you know it you will wonder what all the fuss and stress was about in the first place! 😀

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

G'day Charlie.

All good advice from Trev and Jaques.

Best practice is to start centred on runway,

One division nose down trim.

Control column FULL back.

Ailerons full right.

GRADUALLY Move throttle up, right rudder on, relax stick to neutral and bring ailerons to neutral ALL AT THE SAME RATE.

If done perfectly, you should end up lifting off as you reach the end of the above cycle. It takes practice to arrive at the ideal positions all at once but quickly it will become completely natural. The Spitfire is a high powered fighter. Just jamming up the power and trying to lift the tail will end in tears every time.

Note particularly from the above... Column goes to neutral only. Never try to lift the tail of the Spitfire by pushing forward on the stick. Not unless you enjoy short blades and long walks with a shovel.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”