May 17 MP Flight - Dambusters

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

May 17 MP Flight - Dambusters

Post by ianfisher 101 »

On Sunday 16th May 1943 a group of 19 Avro Lancasters of 617 Squadron took of from RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire bound for the Ruhr Valley in Nazi occupied Germany. Their mission was to attack the Mohne, Edersee and Sorpe Dams using a new purpose built bouncing bomb developed by Barnes Wallace. The Mohne and Eder dams were destroyed while the Sorpe dam only sustained minor damage. 1600 civilians were killed including 1000 prisoners and forced labourers. Of the 19 aircraft that took off 8 were shot down with 53 aircrew killed and 3 taken prisoner. The raid was led by 24 year-old Wing Commander Guy Gibson who was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Todays flight will receate the attack on the Mohne Dam using historic records from 617 Squardon archives.

We start from outside Hangar Number Two at RAF Scampton. After take off we plot a course of 122 degrees to cross the Dutch coast between Walchere and Schouwen. We then fly on across the Netherlands skirting the airbases at Gilze-Rijen and Eindhoven before curving around the Ruhr defences, turning North to avoid Hamm then turning South to head for the Mohne River and the approch to the dam. The bombers flew low all the way there at about 100 feet to avoid ememy radar. We won't do that today. On the return leg it's North to aviod Hamm again then West to the German boarder at Netterden then onto Ijmuiden and out over the North Sea back to Scampton. The mission is 725nm in length with a flight time of around Four Hours expected. Because of the long flight We'll start earlier at 1600z.

Because there is no Lancaster (so far) in the A2A Hangar I'll be using the aeroplane heaven Avro Lancaster B Mk1. For those that don't have a Lancaster or similar I will also need some fighter support (altought the real mission did not have any cover) I don't think the Spitfire can go that far with the fuel it can carry so that leaves the long range P-51. The fighters can come all the way with the bombers or can take off later in the mission from say Biggin Hill and join us over the Dutch coast.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.5019468458 ... SBY%20EGXP

Meet 1545UTC
Departure 1600UTC
Local time 0900
Weather Fair
Network Joinfs
Server Digital ThemePark
Comms A2A Discord

Sim P3Dv5 HF1
ORBX Global, OpenLC Europe, FTX England, FTX Germany North. True Earth GB South, True Earth Netherlands.

With thanks to Toby who has kindly agreed to postpone his planned flight for this week in order for us to fly this anniversary flight on the exact day 77 years ago.
Last edited by ianfisher 101 on 15 May 2020, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Re: May 17 MP Flight - Dambusters

Post by Corsair015 »

I've got the Justflight Lanc B.III, so thats what I'll be using.
Not sleeping in for this one!
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Corsair015 wrote: 14 May 2020, 15:19 I've got the Justflight Lanc B.III, so thats what I'll be using.
Not sleeping in for this one!
You better just stay up all night! Haha

I don't have a Lanc but I found an AI model to sub you guys into. I will plan on providing high cover in an RAF P-51. Looking forward to it!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Very Cool! I'll be there in my P-51. Can you recommend a good freeware Lancaster that I can get for the purpose of substitution in JoinFS? Also, here's a pretty good video I watched last night on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMN7ov7EG0. Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qsu9HsYos, which I'll watch tonight.

Seeya
ATB

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Back in 2013 and again in 2016 we (91st Bombardment Group) flew this mission in 14 (2013) and 9 (2016)
FCS Lancasters.
We had scenery created for the Mohne and Eder damns as well as low altitude flak and AAA fire
in the vicinity of the targets.

It was a real challenge to fly that mission. We flew it 'real time' low and in the dark as it was flown originally.

I have an entire set of re-paints for the FCS Lancaster with the registrations of the aircraft that participated
in the mission. Also I have the PLG and PLN flight plans we used that were created from the historical documents.

I will probably fly this in FSC Lanc, AJ-J, flown on the raid by Flt Lt D.J. Maltby (DSO).
(AJ-J First wave: Fifth aircraft to attack Möhne Dam. Mine dropped accurately, causing larger breach,
followed by dam collapse.)

I WILL be 'below the radar' :)

Paul

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

Hi Paul

Thanks for your input here. Your knowledge of the flight will be invalubale I'm sure. The scenery in P3d v5 has the dam modeled very well so we'll be good on that score. RAF Scampton is P3d Default but it does have the WWII hangars and control tower but it's still default. I did think about doing it real time and low level but we are the misfit squadron after all and I'll run out of flying talent long before I get anywhere near the dam so gave up on that idea. Ratty and Curt and some of the others are very good at that sort of thing but four hours at low level is not for me so I'm going to cheet and go higher. Any suggestions will be most greatfully received.

Regards

Ian
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

I too have the AH Lancaster (albeit with the "broken" auto controls which have never been fixed thanks to the intransigence of the developer and publisher) but owing to the start time, 16:00 UTC, which is a little bit too early for me, unfortunately, I will fly a/the second wave taking off between 18:15 - 18:45. I may possibly meet you on my outward flight just as you are flying home across the North Sea.

I can understand the early start owing to the length of the flight but these things happen which means missing flying as a group. :(

So as I will probably be expected I shall activate my installed flak package and hope I get through. :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Post by ianfisher 101 »

No worries David. The real event took Five bombs to break the dam so we are certainly going to need yours. Have a good flight. Take some pics and let us know your progress.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

The timing is hard for me but I'll do my best to join whole or part. I have the FirstClass Wellington bomber for fsx, will see if it works in p3d. If not i can take the mossie.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

ianfisher 101 wrote: 16 May 2020, 10:52 No worries David. The real event took Five bombs to break the dam so we are certainly going to need yours. Have a good flight. Take some pics and let us know your progress.
Managed the second wave flight avoided any flak probably because I was low flying but the target had to have a go-around. :(

I would insert images here but it seems either that option is blocked or, as usual, I am missing something.

I will add some in Discord.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”