Sunday, September 13 - The 2020 Misfit Squadron Battle of Britain Commemorative Mystery Tour

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Sunday, September 13 - The 2020 Misfit Squadron Battle of Britain Commemorative Mystery Tour

Post by ratty »

This year we're flying our patrol out of RAF Westhampnett (now Goodwood), EGHR, and touring the area covered by 11 Group. If you want authenticity, 602 Squadron, the Spitfire squadron based here, flew Mk I's at the time.
Aircraft must be dispersed around the perimeter track. Engines should be warmed and checks completed by 1800 GMT. Status is "Standby": pilots in cockpits, prepared to be airborne in two minutes, in case of a scramble.

Meet at: 1745 GMT for an 1800 departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Goodwood, EGHR.

Local time: 0700.

Weather: severe clear.

In the unlikely event of a scramble, we have this from Fighter Pilot: The First American Ace of World War II, by William R Dunn:

"In those days our airfields were all grass covered - no runways - so the scrambled fighters came blasting straight ahead out of their dispersal bays. Things could get pretty hairy at that moment, especially when it was a flight or squadron scramble with everyone taking off in different directions. A scramble takeoff sometimes looked like organized confusion, and I guess that's really what it was, but we did get into the air quickly when every second counted. The excitement of the moment reached its absolute peak when you launched out of your bay and went blasting at full throttle across the grass and there, roaring almost head-on toward you, came some other sod who was being scrambled from the other side of the airfield. Some near misses and some prangs did occur, but not as often as you would think."

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Sunday, September 13 - The 2020 Misfit Squadron Battle of Britain Commemorative Mystery Tour

Post by Paughco »

Thank you for setting this up, Ratty! Looks like fun! I have the field in P3D v5, and it has grass runways. Here is a photo of the field during WW2:

Will have to see how that relates to what I have for EGHR in P3D. Will fly around the area in my Spitfire this evening.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Sunday, September 13 - The 2020 Misfit Squadron Battle of Britain Commemorative Mystery Tour

Post by ratty »

I'll be interested to see how it looks for you. I have the ORBX Goodwood scenery, and it's quite like your pic.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OK. I'm now in "Bad Grampa" mode. Installing ORBX EU England and EGHR.

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Subject to change, the "Mystery Tour" flightplan looks like this: https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.3706372946 ... 19E%20EGSX

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Installed all ready to go for tomorrow 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Looking Forward to it!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”