Happy Birthday Spitfire! - 5th March 2021

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
AJL UK
Airman Basic

Happy Birthday Spitfire! - 5th March 2021

Post by AJL UK »

Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum but what better way to get started than to wish the wonderful Spitfire a very Happy 85th Birthday!

On 5 March 1936 Spitfire prototype K5054 took off at 16.30 on its first flight from Eastleigh Aerodrome (today's Southampton EGHI Airport).
The flight (which was undertaken with extended undercarriage) lasted just eight minutes. A legend was born!

‘On 10 March the aircraft flew again and the gear was retracted in flight for the first time. Several important changes were made to the aircraft in the next few months' testing, the most significant being a series of freshly-designed wooden propellers which progressively increased the Spitfire's top speed from 330 mph to 348 mph. In May 1936 "Mutt" Summers flew K5054 to RAF Martlesham Heath where the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment conducted RAF service trials. Impressed by the new fighter, on 3 June well before the completion of the testing program Britain's Air Ministry issued a contract for an initial batch of 310 Spitfires - the first of over 22,000 built!’

To mark this historical event I was thinking of getting airborne at 16.30Z, 5th March 2021 from Eastleigh (Southampton Airport) 85 years on from when the aircraft took flight for the first time.

It would be fantastic to share the occasion with anyone in the community who is available and can join in a Spitfire.

I realise it’s during the working day for many but if anyone would like to fly in or fly from Eastleigh for a short time it would be fantastic to celebrate together!
I propose meeting on the ground at EGHI around 16.00 to prep the aircraft and fly. Feel free to retract your undercarriage if you so wish and stay airborne for longer that just 8 minutes!
I’m conscious that many of us will be joining and preparing for LWD15 later on so a short window of 16.00-17.30ish at Eastleigh. It’s not far from Goodwood so some pilots may like to visit from there.

It would be great so see you if you can make it!

Aircraft: Spitfire (all marks welcome)
Scenery: Orbx EU England or True Earth GB South and Orbx Southampton if applicable.
Meet: 16.00Z onwards to check out your airplane, prep etc.
Take Off: 16.30Z
Sim time for take off: 16.30 local
Weather: Real, Historical for the time and date of our flight; clear, fair, or custom if bad.
Network: JoinFS
Server: Digital Themepark
Comms: A2A Discord.
3FC2882A-B9DB-4AAC-8C98-82C561F60377.jpeg
3FC2882A-B9DB-4AAC-8C98-82C561F60377.jpeg (249.12 KiB) Viewed 731 times

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Happy Birthday Spitfire! - 5th March 2021

Post by ratty »

Brilliant! I'll be there.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Happy Birthday Spitfire! - 5th March 2021

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Whilst not able to join I loved seeing all the photos on the discord, looked like you had a smashing flight! 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”