Sunday, April 4th, 2021 - B-17 Mission

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Sunday, April 4th, 2021 - B-17 Mission

Post by Paughco »

TOP SECRET === BURN BEFORE READING === TOP SECRET

Bomber Command has been getting reports of ground launched, radar guided rockets being used to shoot at our bombers over Germany. One strategy that is being considered to counter these guided missiles is to go from high altitude to low altitude bombing. The crack Misfit Squadron had been selected to fly a test mission with results to be used in the determination of feasibility. Here is the mission:

Begin at the large parking area at north end of Boeing Field (KBFI). Airplanes are to be loaded with default light fuel preset (100 octane) and full load of (dummy) bombs. Takeoff from Boeing Field (KBFI) and climb to no greater than 1,000 ft MSL. Fly to the Space Needle, after making right turn if takeoff is from Rwy 13R.

Make right turn around Space Needle to course 97°M, which should take you directly over the northern tip of Mercer Island.

Follow I-90 eastward to Mount Si, then turn right to course 146°M, toward the west end of Chester Morse Lake. Follow the lake on course 103°M, gradually climbing so as to maintain altitude no greater than 500 ft AGL. Follow the general course of the Cedar River, then make a left turn to follow the North Fork of the Cedar River on a course of approximately 58°M until making a right turn to 85°M to fly over Lost Lake, then turn right to course 119°M over the east end of Keechelus Lake. Follow I-90 eastward to the Ellensburg VOR (ELN 117.90 MHz).

Turn right to course 121°M when crossing over the Ellensburg VOR. Line up to fly through Badger Gap at no greater than 500 ft AGL. Immediately after flying through the gap, turn left to course 106°M and open bomb doors, while “popping up” to approximately 2,000 ft AGL and drop bombs on the road complex and structures 5 nm from last turn point. After releasing bombs close bomb doors and descend back down to 500 ft AGL while turning left to course 83°M.

When reaching the Columbia River turn left to course 7°M and follow the Columbia River Northward until reaching the Vantage Bridge, then turn right to course 41°M and fly to the Moses Lake VOR (MWH 115.00 MHz).

Turn left to course 54°M when crossing over the Moses Lake VOR and fly over Odessa Municipal Airport (43D). Continue on course 54°M to Fairchild Air Force Base.

The flight will be 236 miles, which will take us about 1 hr 24 min.

Aircraft: B-17 or equivalent
Meet: 1730z or earlier to check out your airplane, warm it up, etc.
Take Off: 1815z
Sim time for take off: 1115 local
Weather: Real, Historical for the time and date of our flight; clear, fair, or custom if bad.
Network: JoinFS
Server: Digital Themepark
Comms: A2A Discord.

Block fuel for this flight is 515 gallons.

Here's the SkyVector link: https://skyvector.com/?ll=47.5726345628 ... 43D%20KSKA

I'll post a similar message about this flight on the MP Section of the A2A Discord Channel, which will include the flight plan in .pln format. Hey, maybe this qualifies as the first of our "local flights!" Kinda whacky, but still, it's local, for me at least.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 31 Mar 2021, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sunday, April 4th, 2021 - B-17 Mission

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Woohoo B-17!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Paughco

What is the estimated speed for this flight? I ran it through a calculator and came up with 157.3 MPH.

Thanks
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

AlpineWarren
Airman

Post by AlpineWarren »

Make sure you get your crew trained for Sunday! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlN81CDmCU
-- Warren
-- DC9Captain

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Here is a link for a file containing several additional "Camera Definition" entries to add to
the A2A B-17G. The most usable will be the Bombardiers position from behind him and in front of him
and a view from the tail gunners position.

The definitions are just text to be copied and pasted into the aircraft.cfg file. The included instructions should
allow a trouble free installation. I created these views back in 2011.

http://pstrogen.digitalspacemail8.net/f ... A_B17G.zip

-=GB=-

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Raceguy wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 09:05 Hi Paughco

What is the estimated speed for this flight? I ran it through a calculator and came up with 157.3 MPH.

Thanks
Ed
Sounds about right.

I installed those extra camera definitions from Gypsy Baron, and they're pretty cool!

Seeya
ATB

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

EDIT: This procedure will only work in FSX and P3DV3. I need to see if there is a similar
approach for P3DV4 and V5.
========================================
EDIT: After spending way too much time trying to get the Lorby PayloadManagerX to function in P3D V4.5
I give up, for now, on enabling droppable objects in P3D V4 and V5.

Here is a link to a download containing some files and the procedure to load and drop bombs from the A2A B17G which will
register explosions on the ground. You can check your bombing accuracy once installed.

You will need to create a saved flight and add two lines to the ".FLT" file plus move two fx files into your
Effects folder and a folder named "Mk82" into your SimObjects/Misc folder.

The instructions are included in the down load.

http://pstrogen.digitalspacemail8.net/f ... Bombs.zip

Enjoy,
-=GB=-

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Flying Day woop woop!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jimmyanderson123
Airman

Post by jimmyanderson123 »

Howdy. I know I missed this flight and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Looking to take part in a couple of these flights. How do I go about it and do I need to download anything special??
Thank you

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Jimmy: Here's a link to how to get started flying in multiplayer: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=63659&p=486890&hil ... ed#p486890.

Also, I copied most of the first post, and here it is:

I've tried to write down the basics for getting started in our A2A MP flights, but I may have left something out.

We use the "DigitalThemePark" server on JoinFS. Here is a link to the web site: http://pmem.uk/joinfs/. Click on "About," "Install," and "Manual" to get the instructions on how to download, install, and operate. It's pretty easy.

Next, we use "Discord" for communication. This is another free download. Here is the link: https://discordapp.com/. More stuff to read, download, install, etc. You need to establish a logon ID, password, etc. I use the same stuff for Discord as I have for this A2A forum. Then you have to log on to Discord and navigate to the "A2A Community." I've got a Discord shortcut on my desktop, and when I double click on it, it opens a window that is connected to the A2A Community. There's a spot where you can click to join a voice channel. We usually use "MP Flying Chat 1."

I recommend that you try the steps described below some time other than just before you want to join a Sunday flight! :) That way you can fool around, read the manuals, fool around some more, etc.

Here is the typical sequence I go through in getting ready for a MP flight:
1) Put on headset.
2) Open Discord, click on MP Flying Chat 1. Unfold, then tap the boom mic to see if the little green circle come on showing that my mic is live. Fold it back in.
3) Open JoinFS, click on View, Hubs, and check that I'm joined up with "DigitalThemePark." (I've got it set to autojoin DigitalThemePark, but I check anyway).
4) If we've agreed to use real weather, open up Active Sky. If not, omit this step and use "Fair" or "Clear" default weather.
5) Open P3D (or FSX, whatever) and load the agreed upon aircraft (usually the T-6 Texan) and starting field.

Steps 1 through 5 take all of about five minutes, not counting the time it takes for P3D to load, but typically on a fly day I start about a half hour before our planned takeoff time. Once there, I prepare the aircraft, start it up, let it warm up a bit, then maybe do a mag check, etc. About that time folks start to arrive. Chit chat ensues while we discuss the flight ahead, and wait for others to show up. We try to take off on time.

A few other tips: First, you'll need to contact Lewis to get access to the A2A Channel on Discord. Find a post from Lewis, and contact him via one of his address links at the bottom of his post. Next, try JoinFS and Discord on your own, just to get a feel for how they work. Finally, keep an eye on the multiplayer sections of the A2A Forum and the A2A Discord channel. You might see a brief notification of an upcoming flight on Discord, but there's almost always a link to the full, detailed briefing on the A2A Forum in the Multiplayer section.

Oh yeah. We take turns planning flights. Usually the planner posts a link to the flight plan on SkyVector. This is a pretty convenient way to show the flight, but you'll probably want to get it into Little Nav Map, Plan G, or whatever. We can't attach a .pln file to a post on the A2A Forum, but we can post a .pln file to a post on Discord, and some of us do that. If not, it's pretty easy to get a SkyVector flight into LNV.

Hope to see you on a flight soon!
ATB

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”