Sunday, April 25th - Hometown Tour - SF Bay Area Boogie

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Sunday, April 25th - Hometown Tour - SF Bay Area Boogie

Post by Paughco »

Part three of our hometown tours is a tour of the San Francisco Bay Area. The flight will originate and terminate (ooh - that sounds kinda final) at Half Moon Bay Airport (KHAF) near the coast of the Pacific Ocean in San Mateo County, California, USA.

Back in time, like 1963, I was a 17-yr old high school kid, having breakfast at our home in San Bruno California. It was a nice Saturday morning. I was eating cereal and reading the San Francisco Examiner. I saw an article about a guy who did a wheels up landing in a Beech Staggerwing at Half Moon Bay Airport. I thought that might be a good trip on my 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead motorcycle. After finishing breakfast, I filed my flight plan (so to speak) with my folks and took off, over the hill, to Half Moon Bay Airport. All that was left of that Beech was a smoldering pile of melted aluminum and ashes, next to the hangar. This was where I met a guy that was going to my high school, Capuchino High. The guy's name was Paul Sylvestri, and his dad, Frank Sylvestri, ran the airport. I later learned that Frank S. had flown P-47s in Sicily WW2. Pretty cool! I rode over there more often, and eventually started working there on weekends for flight time. I accrued 13.5 hours in Cessna 140s and 150s. Actually soloed!. The rest, as they say, is history.

So we'll be flying T-6s (or Cessna 172s or Cherokees) out of Half Moon Bay, up the coast, then under a few bridges. After that we'll hit a couple high points, inspect the dirigible facilities at NAS Moffett, then return to Half Moon Bay. You may want to brush up on RNAV landing procedures, as the field could be socked in by the time we get back.

Hey - what's the worst that can happen?

Preferred aircraft is the A2A T-6 Texan. A Cessna 172 or Cherokee would do. A Cessna 182 might be a bit fast. A Cub would definitely be too slow. Warbirds would have to do two laps to keep it even.

Meet at: 1745z for a 1815z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Half Moon Bay Airport (KHAF), out on the apron in front of the Frank Sylvestri Terminal Building (they actually named the building that before Frank died.

Local takeoff time: 1515.

Weather: historic.

Airports
Half Moon Bay ORBX
All others, Default P3dv5.1/ORBX freeware airport pack

https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.5368219277 ... PID%20KHAF

Seeya
ATB

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Sunday, April 25th - Hometown Tour - SF Bay Area Boogie

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Paughco,

Looking at the route for next Sunday one POI you might add is extend the track 2.7 miles from CA35 to include SRF.

SRF was Hamilton AAF Base in 1941 and on the evening of December 6, 1941 twelve B-17E aircraft took off
from Hamilton to fly the 2400 miles to Hickam Field, Hawai'i. They were unarmed. They arrived on Sunday
morning, December 7th during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and other military facilities on the island of Oahu.

Here is a link to a page that addresses these aircraft.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/7D ... c41-D.html

Paul -=GB=-

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Gypsy: Thank you for the note. I've been to Hamilton a few times, when I was in AFROTC, back in the '60s. We got a nice walk-around an F-101. The crew chief said it took about 30,000 ft to recover from a deep stall. Nice. They also had C-124s there at thetime. My buddy Paul (from Half Moon Bay Airport) did his Reserve service up there. He had some classic stories. Anyway, if you don't take off too far ahead of the rest of us, maybe you could lead us on a diversion from the flight path to check out what's left of Hamilton AFB on whatever scenery we have.

Meanwhile, I recommend that we all take a look at the approach plate for RNAV (GPS) RWY 30 approach into KHAF, as the weather at KHAF has been somewhat "iffy" lately.

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Lovely Jubbly 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Friday, April 30 - The Trans-Siberian Adventure, Leg 7

Post by ratty »

Oops.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”