Sunday May 16th - 617 Squadron, The Dambusters

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Sunday May 16th - 617 Squadron, The Dambusters

Post by ianfisher 101 »

On Sunday 16th May 1943 a group of 19 Avro Lancasters of 617 Squadron took of from RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire bound for the Ruhr Valley in Nazi occupied Germany. Their mission was to attack the Mohne, Edersee and Sorpe Dams using a new purpose built bouncing bomb developed by Barnes Wallace. The Mohne and Eder dams were destroyed while the Sorpe dam only sustained minor damage. 1600 civilians were killed including 1000 prisoners and forced labourers. Of the 19 aircraft that took off 8 were shot down with 53 aircrew killed and 3 taken prisoner. The raid was led by 24 year-old Wing Commander Guy Gibson who was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Todays flight will receate the attack on the Mohne and Eder Dams using historic records from 617 Squardon archives.

We start from outside Hangar Number Two at RAF Scampton. After take off we plot a course to cross the Dutch coast between Walchere and Schouwen. After crossing the coast the bombers flew low all the way at about 100 feet to avoid ememy radar. We then fly on across Holland skirting the airbases at Gilze-Rijen and Eindhoven before curving around the Ruhr defences, turning North to avoid Hamm then turning South to head for the Mohne River and the approch to the dam. Once we bomb the Mohne we will re-group for the short flight to the Eder. On the return leg it's North to aviod Hamm again then West to the German border, flying on to the Groningan NDB and out over the North Sea back to Scampton. The mission is 845nm with a flight time of around Five Hours.

The aircraft will be the Aeroplane Heaven Avro Lancaster B Mk1. Hopefully we can put up a good number of Lancs to commemorate the mission.

Meet at: 1730z for a 1800z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Local takeoff time: 1500

Weather: Real

https://skyvector.com/?ll=53.5342679054 ... SBY%20EGXP

Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

AJL UK
Airman Basic

Re: Sunday May 16th - 617 Squadron, The Dambusters - AJL Tribute repaints

Post by AJL UK »

Hi All,

This looks like a fantastic flight and way to commemorate the Dams Raid 16th/17th May 1943.
I'm really gutted that I won't make flight on Sunday due to family commitments but I wanted to find a way to assist with the commemoration. I also wanted to be there in spirit with you all as you fly the sortie.
617 is probably my favourite RAF Squadron and I've always been inspired by the Dams raid and the Squadron history. The early squadron letters even match my initials! :)
Here are a series of repaints for the Lancaster in 617 Sqn and the scheme used at the time of the Dams Raid. There is one missing - AJ-L ED929 but i'll keep this particular aircraft for another occasion. I realise its not for an A2A aircraft so I hope people are understanding. The aircraft featured are a selection to represent not only the aircraft that led or breached the dams but also the range of nationalities that contributed.
I hope you enjoy the repaints and have great flight to mark the event.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ot4w99uh4x9v ... 4Zn7a?dl=0

These repaints are a tribute to all the RAF 617 Squadron crews and support staff of all nationalities who took part in the Dams Raid 16th/17th 1943.
In remembrance of all those who gave their tomorrow for our today. Lest we Forget.

Attachments
2021-5-14_17-58-47-31.png
2021-5-14_17-58-47-31.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 934 times

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”