Sunday, December 19 - Hokkaido and the Kuril Islands

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Sunday, December 19 - Hokkaido and the Kuril Islands

Post by ratty »

This week's Misfit Squadron trip is a tour of the northernmost Japanese island of Hokkaido, with a quick look at the disputed Kuril Islands. The center of Hokkaido is mountainous with volcanic plateaux, and the island is seismically active; in the last 20 years it has suffered four earthquakes of magnitude 6.1 or greater, and has no fewer than five active volcanoes.

The trip is over 450 miles, so bring something fast!

Skyvector looks like: https://skyvector.com/?ll=43.0500240545 ... 15E%20RJCN

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Hakodate Airport, RJCH.

Local takeoff time: 1300

Weather: Real historical, unless . . .

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Sunday, December 19 - Hokkaido and the Kuril Islands

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I just flew this in my P-51 Civ, Took about 2 hours.

Initially I had selected Real weather as I see no point in 'historical' weather settings unless there
is an actual weather event you wish to re-produce. And then one needs to dictate the exact
parameters to invoke that setting, otherwise there is not much chance everyone will see the same
weather.

Back to my flight. Shortly after takeoff I was at 2K and entered low clouds, causing me to climb to
4K altitude to get above them. I had only sparse views of the terrain below as the clouds filled
all the low points on the route. Not seeing much point in looking down at cloud cover I switched
to the 'Fair Weather' theme. This at least gives you some nice scattered cumulus clouds to break up
the monotony of the clear blue sky. More importantly it gives you clear weather below so that you can
see all the hills and dales along the route and fly as low as the terrain allows.
I also set the season to summer or fall. The December winter weather is just too drab for my taste.

I flew along at 4K for all of the route until the last waypoint, a volcano that required a climb to above 5500 ft.
After passing that and on the homeward bound leg I returned to 4K until reaching the destination airport.

At 4K with fair weather, there is no wind to contend with so I chose to land om Rwy 08 at the destination
and back taxi to the parking area closest to the 08 approach end. Parking will be tight there.

-=GB=-

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I just flew this myself today and discovered the same things. I finished up choosing Clear weather. I, too, thought it looked drab in Winter tones, but I didn't really like late Spring either so I reverted to Winter and it kinda grew on me. I flew the entire route at 3,500 feet, going the long way round the final volcano.

I think we should just pick the season/weather of our choice, and enjoy the amazing flexibility of our sims.

Incidentally, my only reason for choosing Historic weather is to make sure I get day weather in the day, and night weather in the night, since there can be significant differences between the two.

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

ratty wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 18:20
Incidentally, my only reason for choosing Historic weather is to make sure I get day weather in the day, and night weather in the night, since there can be significant differences between the two.
This^

You want the misty, foggy, cool mornings and then clouds building and clearing visibility as the temperature goes up. That mixed with ActiveSky and REX (or similar) is very immersive.

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”