Sunday 15-May-22 Chief Joseph Rally

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Sunday 15-May-22 Chief Joseph Rally

Post by Paughco »

Fellow Misfits: Our mission for this Sunday is to fly our fast GA aircraft along the route that I will ride my BMW S1000XR this coming June to the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day, Washington. The Chief Joseph Rally is put on every year by the Oregon State BMW Club. The roads are some of the finest I have ever ridden on. We'll take off from Harvey Field (S43), which is about 15 miles from my secret HQ in the Snoqualmie Valley and fly at low level up the Snoqualmie Valley to Interstate 90. We'll follow I-90 to Ellensburg, whereupon we'll turn south and fly the Yakima Canyon. Then we'll follow I-82 to the turnoff for Toppenish, then turn south again to fly down US97 to Goldendale. We'll cross the Columbia River at Biggs Junction and follow US97 a bit further, until we get to Wasco. We'll fly the hills of Oregon down to Condon, Fossil, and down to Spray, then down to Hwy 26. East on Hwy 26 past Mt. Vernon to the town of John Day. We'll land at Grant County Regional/Ogilvie Field Airport (KGCD). I'll buy the first round when we all gather at the Outpost (https://www.outpostpizzapubgrill.com/) after our flight.

One tricky element with our destination, KGCD. Check it out in your flight sim planner, such as Little Nav Map. IF you notice that Grant County Regional has two identifiers, KGCD and 5J0, you will have serious problems trying to land. That is because your flight sim (FSX or P3D) has the airport as KGCD and ORBX has the airport as 5J0, and the two airports sort of fight with each other. You see a runway, but that's not the real runway. The way to fix this is to find where all the ORBX free airports are stored on your computer. Mine are here: D:\Orbx Library\. Go to that folder, then do a search for "5J0." You'll find several files:

ADE_FTX_CRM_5J0_Grant_Co_Regl-Ogilvie_CVX.bgl
ADE_FTX_CRM_5J0_Grant_Co_Regl-Ogilvie.BGL
ADE_FTX_CRM_5J0_elevation_adjustment.BGL

Put a ".old" on the end of each file you find, restart your sim, and it will revert to the default version of that field in your sim, and you'll have just one field, which will be KGCD. I think that is how it works. But I do know that it works. I managed to take off and land at KGCD in my P-40. KEEP IT ON THE RUNWAY when you land, and there are no shoulders on the runways.

Here's the SkyVector flight plan: https://skyvector.com/?ll=46.1815419285 ... 38W%20KGCD.

I recommend that you fly a relatively fast GA, such as a Comanche or Bonanza. Anything that can get you into and out of small fields will be just fine.

The flight will be 313 miles and should take about 2 hours 1 minute of flight time in a Comanche.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Harvey Field in Snohomish (S43).

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Local takeoff time: 1200

Weather: Active Sky real.

Keep on rockin' in a free world
ATB

DavidW
Airman First Class

Re: Sunday 15-May-22 Chief Joseph Rally

Post by DavidW »

I checked it out and I only have 5J0 in my ORBX CRM scenery.

A thorough search for KGCD didn't show up in my sim.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Same in v4 with openLC North America.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I think that 5J0 is the old identifier for Grant County Regional/ John Day (KGCD). I “thought” ORBX had a payware version that looked really nice, but I can’t seem to find it online anywhere! In P3Dv4.5, if you have the free Global Airport Pack installed, it should be fairly represented, but as you point out, with the old identifier 5J0.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I'm glad you guys don't have the problems that I had. No idea what caused it.

Here's how to make sure you only have one airport at our destination: Check KGCD/5J0 on your Little Nav Map, or on the map in your sim when you select "go to another airport" in your sim options. If you only see one name for either KGCD or 5J0, you are OK. If you see both names, one superimposed on the other, you have both airports in your sim. That's what I had, and after renaming all the conflicting 5J0 files as described earlier, now I only have KGCD on LNV and the airport map in my sim. Thank you for your patience with all the stuff.

We'll use Burns as an alternative if KGCD gives any problems on the day of our flight.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”