Sunday December 18th. North to Santa

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Sunday December 18th. North to Santa

Post by ianfisher 101 »

Welcome to the Misfits annual charity flight to see Santa.

We depart from Scandinavian Mountains Airport which is intended for both scheduled and chartered services, primarily aimed at bringing tourists to the winter sports resorts of Sälen and Idre in Sweden, and Trysil in Norway. It was constructed on the site of an existing small sports airfield at Mobergskölen, near Rörbäcksnäs, in Malung-Sälen, 6.5 km from the Norwegian border, and is the first new airport in Sweden since Pajala opened in 1999. Before opening the nearest airports to the area were Mora Airport 113 km from Sälen and Oslo Airport 213 km from Sälen. There are bus transfers to the ski resorts in connection with flights. The distance to the nearest one, Hundfjället is 10 km and the farthest in the Sälen area, Kläppen, 45 km. Transfers to Sälen by dog sled or snowmobile is also available. The airport is owned by local companies including ski resort owners SkiStar and municipal tourist promotion companies in both countries. In addition, in 2014, the Swedish government contributed SEK 250 million to the project, and the local counties and municipalities have also contributed money. Construction started in August 2017 with the runway paved in October 2018. It opened on the 22 December 2019 and during the 2019-2020 winter it served 14,314 passengers. It was the first airport in the world designed to be operated from the outset with a virtual tower rather than a conventional air traffic control tower. During the 2019-2020 winter season the Swedish airline BRA did operate with ATR72-600 and BAe RJ100 from Stockholm Bromma, Malmö, Ängelholm, Göteborg and Växjö.

Our destination, Rovaniemi is the official airport of Santa Claus! It's the third busiest airport in Finland, located about 10 kilometres from the city centre. The Arctic Circle crosses the airport runway at its northern end! Rovaniemi is known for Santa Claus Village and Santa Park located near the airport as well as very cold winters and demanding weather conditions. It's served on a regular basis by Finnair and Norwegian. However, there are many seasonal operators like Aer Lingus, Air France, easyJet, Edelweiss Air, Enter Air, Eurowings, Jet2, LOT, Transavia, TUI, Turkish Airlines and once a year the A2A Misfit Squadron. In 2017, the airport served about 580,000 passengers. The main season of charter traffic from Great Britain and many other European countries lasts from the end of November until the middle of January annually. Many of these flights (especially from Great Britain) are day trip flights, with daytrippers (mostly families with young children) arriving in the morning and going home in the evening on the same day. Russians arrive in January because they celebrate Christmas later. In addition to civil traffic the runway is also used by F-18 fighter interceptors of Lapin lennosto (Lapland Air Command). The Rovaniemen vartiolentue (Air unit of the Frontier guard of Lapland) is also located nearby.
General aviation operators and private pilot owners are served by the provision of a dedicated fully enclosed and heated hangar with a curved snow-shedding roof located near to the terminal complex. Rovaniemi Airport is one of three airports in Finland that has jet bridges (the other two being Helsinki-Vantaa Airport and Oulu Airport). The airport is managed by Finavia. It is connected to the Rovaniemi city centre by an airport taxi and there are also multiple bus connections around Lapland, including to major winter sports centers.

Today we will fly underprivileged children from the norwegian - swedish boarder area to see santa. Please note there is no payment for todays flight, we are donating our time for the good of the kids.

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.
Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.
Comms through A2A Discord channel.
Start at: ESKS
Aircraft: B377/Constellation
Local takeoff time: 1000.
Weather Real

Route - SVE SUN OSK UME SKA SLU
Alt - FL250

https://skyvector.com/?ll=63.9928266313 ... SLU%20EFRO
Little Navmap Map 20221125-222047.jpg
Little Navmap Map 20221125-222047.jpg (550.67 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

DavidW
Airman First Class

Re: Sunday December 18th. North to Santa

Post by DavidW »

ESKS was only opened in 2019 so most of you may have just an asphalt runway, 16/34, in your scenery.

There is a payware version available from ORBX but only for LM P3D v4 and v5.

Some searching has dug up a very useful website and there are also links to a Freeware airport from avsim for both FSX and P3d. There are also links to PDF documents containing airport charts, SIDs, STARs and the various ILS/RNAV approaches available. It would also seem that the airports runways are now 15/33. When added into your addon scenery it will be using the same ICAO as the stock airport but under a different name, Scandinavian Mountains.

Here are the useful links to help you:
ESKS - Sälen/Scandinavian Mountains VATSim site.
Freeware Scenery. FSX and P3D v1-4
AIP and Chart Information.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you, DavidW, for that info on where to find ESKS. I downloaded and extracted it, and finally managed to get it installed correctly. Now my Connie is all set up, at parking spot No. 4 on the ramp at ESKS. Glad I didn't wait until just before flight time to discover that I needed to download and install our departure airport! It works just fine in P3D v5.

Seeya
ATB

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

The B377 is the "Stratocruiser "

-=GB=-

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

Paughco wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 15:40 Thank you, DavidW, for that info on where to find ESKS. I downloaded and extracted it, and finally managed to get it installed correctly. Now my Connie is all set up, at parking spot No. 4 on the ramp at ESKS. Glad I didn't wait until just before flight time to discover that I needed to download and install our departure airport! It works just fine in P3D v5.

Seeya
ATB
Oops!! That's where I parked. :lol: No worries I have moved to somewhere out of the way and at the back so I will probabaly be the last to take off. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”