Aircraft Pitches up when Auto Pilot is engaged

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
Nova
Airman Basic

Aircraft Pitches up when Auto Pilot is engaged

Post by Nova »

Everytime I switch on the Auto Pilot the AC pitches upward and stalls. I have reverted to FSX Steam Non Beta and still the auto pilot pitches the plane upward. Beta or non Beta makes no differnce.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Aircraft Pitches up when Auto Pilot is engaged

Post by TreeTops »

Hey Nova. That's a strange one for sure. I have the B377 installed on the original FSX so there is no guarantee the install files are the same, in which case I can only focus on the actual flying situation of the aircraft.
Can you explain in more detail the situations where you are connecting the autopilot? Is it in a climb after takeoff, or straight and level, at what speed, and was the aircraft in a fully trimmed state prior to activating the autopilot.

I would normally engage the autopilot at about 500 ft AGL established in a 500-1000 fpm climb so I could hop back to the engineers station and tend to the engines for a bit. I knew the AP would keep her steady and from memory never had any dramas .

Most of us have moved on to MSFS2020 so we don't fly the old lady much/if at all, but she is still a very fond memory to many of us and we look forward to maybe one day being able to fly her in the new sim.
Cheers
Trev

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Hey Nova, I had that problem while using Beta in steam and getting out of the Beta program fixed it. I do recall having to download an update from steam to fix the problem though. Check to see if your Steam is up to date. Also make sure before you cut in the autopilot that you have the plane trimmed properly. I usually trim for level flight then cut in the auto pilot.
Hope this helps you out

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Nova
Airman Basic

Post by Nova »

I removed the Beta in Steam and she still piches up quickly and stalls out when the AP is engaged. I even reinstalled FSX Steam, B377 and still no joy.
Oh well at least the Connie still works.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

There is a spot in steam to check for updates and you might want to try that as sometimes the old files are there even when you do a reinstall. I had to do a manual update after I got out of the Beata program.
Hope this helps you out as that is a great plane to fly.

Keep smiling

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Local files > verify integrity of game files should find and repair any missing or corrupt files in FSX-SE. i used to do this a couple of times a year, or whenever strange events occurred, as a first step in trouble-shooting FSX-SE.

When this trim runaway happens, is the manual elevator trim wheel moving to cause the nose up? If the nose up still happens after the integrity of the files is checked by Steam, I’d be looking for some doubling up of control inputs….take a look through key press or axis assignments to make sure this hasn’t occurred.

Nova
Airman Basic

Post by Nova »

Jacques wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 12:20 Local files > verify integrity of game files should find and repair any missing or corrupt files in FSX-SE. i used to do this a couple of times a year, or whenever strange events occurred, as a first step in trouble-shooting FSX-SE.

When this trim runaway happens, is the manual elevator trim wheel moving to cause the nose up? If the nose up still happens after the integrity of the files is checked by Steam, I’d be looking for some doubling up of control inputs….take a look through key press or axis assignments to make sure this hasn’t occurred.
The trim has to set to -14 and it still pitches up to a stall. I did the verify integrity of game files too. The pitching up gets worse with full passenger and fuel loads. I don't have any problem with the Connie...just the B377 COS.

Nova
Airman Basic

Post by Nova »

Well I played around with the FSX Steam's Local files > verify integrity of game files and made sure it isn't in beta mode. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thank you to all who assisted me sorting this out. I'm having fun flying on Doug's Server Long Legged Hops Server on FSHost.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Glad to hear that you are up and flying again. Enjoy :D

Keep smiling

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”