Lost effects?

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
jimmyfingers
Airman

Lost effects?

Post by jimmyfingers »

I'm not sure when this happened, it's been a while ago. But the 377 seems to have lost the light effects. The position lights and beacon are visible but very dim but there's is no "cone" or bloom. Same for landing lights. Smoke effects and sound appear normal. I did the 10-12-17 update. Other than the lights, the airplane is working great.
I also own the L049 and B-17 and they are good...actually, great.
Any ideas?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Lost effects?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
In order for people to help you , you need to provide more info.
1/. what sim FSX FSXSE P3Dv3 or 4
2/. if P3Dv4 is it 4 or 4.1 as the update you mention was for P3Dv4.1 users only.
And if you are useing P3Dv4.1 the B377 has not been converted yet for this sim.
regards alan. 8)

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Oh, duh...good point. I haven't posted on the forum because I haven't had to. The airplanes have been flawless.
Intel i7 [email protected]
12.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
FSX Sp2.20071210-2023

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

jimmyfingers wrote:FSX Sp2.20071210-2023
Do you use the DX10 preview mode in FSX?

Cheers,
Nick

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

No--DX10 is not checked.
1024x768 and I fly windowed.

Global texture very high with Anti-aliasing, lens flare and advanced animations selected. Aircraft: casts shadow on ground and landing lights illuminate ground.

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Of course, just thinking, what is missing is not effects but textures?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info. One possibility might be that another add-on has modified some effect texture files or something. For instance "SPAI AI Traffic Pack" has been known to cause issues with external lighting effects.

Thanks,
Nick

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Thanks, Nick. I'm not aware that I added anything like that. I don't use AI traffic. I have added the PMDG DC-6, the JF C-46 and some freeware scenery, it that's about it.
I guess my question is about the light cones is: are they textures or effects? Does the Connie and B-17 use the same textures, since those aircraft are working okay? If textures, would it be a model issue?
I looked at the aircraft.cfg light section and nothing lept out at me as a potential problem.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

jimmyfingers wrote:I guess my question is about the light cones is: are they textures or effects? Does the Connie and B-17 use the same textures, since those aircraft are working okay? If textures, would it be a model issue?
The landing lights and beacon 'cones' use a series of effect (*.fx) files along with a couple of compressed (DXT5 16-bit) bitmap texture file. I don't have the 377 installed on my system at present, but I believe it will use separate textures to the B-17 and L-049.

Cheers,
Nick

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Okay, thanks Nick.

Jim

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you let us know if you purchased from the A2A Store and your order number or an invoice (blank out personal details) from the third party store so I can check which packages you have. Also just toe chec have you reinstalled the sim be it the 377 or core platform since you last noticed the lights, and lastly, are you at night in the sim or at dusk or dawn, for the lights you will want to always test at the dead of night.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Well, this is odd. I'm sure I bought it from the A2A store, just like I bought the B-17 and L049. I have records of those purchases but I cannot find anything on the B377/COTS package. I usually make copies of the orders and put them in the respective aircraft folder. My most recent order was for the Connie #116235, 24 December, 2016. I backed up the installers on disk and found that I have a B377.exe and a B377_V2_full.exe. I don't remember specifically, but I'm pretty sure I must have V2 installed.
Interior lighting is fine. The airplane, COTS and systems work fine. It is only the exterior light textures/cones that have gone missing.
To be clear, this is not a show stopper. I'm not a big eye candy fan anyway. I'm more interested in the flight model, panel and systems fidelity.

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Of course, if I were smarter, I would have included a picture in the first place. The attached is with all lights on. The strobe is bright and seems to work fine, the landing/taxi lights illuminate the ground okay, but the beacon seems to be MIA.
I tried to upload a small .jpg but I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Jimmy,

you will need to upload the image to post it here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=50279

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jimmyfingers
Airman

Post by jimmyfingers »

Here's a link to dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/og745rwpqqxcd ... s.jpg?dl=0

I think the confusing thing is that the L049 and B-17 light effects are not affected.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”