Cabin Heat

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
Cliff Wimberly
Airman

Cabin Heat

Post by Cliff Wimberly »

How does one adjust cabin heat. I thought that was the Flight Engineer's job. I have been flying the 377 for almost 800 hrs and I have never gotten a "Cabin Cold Malfunction". Much to my surprise I got one last night. Whats worse is that I could find no place on the panel where I could turn up the heat. I checked the manual also and nothing there either.
Cliff (aka doctordirt)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cabin Heat

Post by Jacques »

Cliff, check the far left side division of the engineers panel, I think near the top on the right hand side...body heat and other environmental controls including gauges for cockpit and cabin temps...I think. Been awhile! 😉. I suppose it could have been a failure.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Cliff Wimberly wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 15:21I thought that was the Flight Engineer's job.
My presumption is this is the Flight Attendant's job. The engineer provides the appropriate supply of hot (body heaters) or cold (cooling compressors) air to the cabin, and the attendant meters that supply to regulate the actual cabin temperature.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi flapman.
All the airliners i have worked on , this job as always been flight deck responsability , not cabin staff , due to the air bleed off the engines for cabin temp.
regards alan. 8)

Cliff Wimberly
Airman

Post by Cliff Wimberly »

Thanx Guys,
I checked very closely in flight last night and could not find anything that would allow me to regulate the cabin temperature.
Jacques, I think you may be right in that my freezing cabin problem the other night was simply a heating system failure. No corrective action could be taken except to find a suitable airfield and land the aircraft.
Cliff

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Cliff Wimberly wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 11:31...No corrective action could be taken except to find a suitable airfield and land the aircraft.
Cliff
...or maybe break out the jackets and boots :wink: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I had the same problem in the Connie. Once there is a failure you have no choice but to drop down low and land asap for the sake of the passengers. It won't hurt the plane but it can be bad for the career.
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

So did A2A code this as a "land immediately" type of emergency? Or, can I try to continue if I can descend into warm enough air to regulate the cabin temp?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I would think as long as the passengers are warm the flight could continue. There is no immediate threat to the operation of the plane.
Cracking on at 30,000ft with no heater certainly wont advance the career.
Cheers
Trev

Cliff Wimberly
Airman

Post by Cliff Wimberly »

There's alot of truth in that Trev. Frozen passengers won't speak well for a pilots career.
I'm just restarting my career after many hours. I crashed taking off from Yellow Knife with a full bag of gas and passengers. I was unable to clear the hills at the end of the runway. Classic pilot error.
S/F - Cliff

Cliff Wimberly
Airman

Post by Cliff Wimberly »

just got slammed with the Low Cabin heat malfunction again. Engines were running properly and the Bleed Air was fine. The report (shift + 9) said that there was an in flight Cabin Heating problem and that I (Pilot) was Completely to Blame. Don't know what I could have done to prevent this.
Except monitor the gauges and possibly lower altitude if the cabin temp starts to drop. I have never been able to regulate the cabin temp.
Does anyone have the answer???

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”