Ummm, take off

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
russellwwest
Airman First Class

Ummm, take off

Post by russellwwest »

Hey, it has been a while! Last time I flew the p40 was back in October! Now I cannot even take off :lol:

Any tips for a takeoff where I don't go side to side, cartwheel and damage the prop and landing gear?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Ummm, take off

Post by DHenriques_ »

russellwwest wrote: 02 May 2021, 16:06 Hey, it has been a while! Last time I flew the p40 was back in October! Now I cannot even take off :lol:

Any tips for a takeoff where I don't go side to side, cartwheel and damage the prop and landing gear?
There is a common technique for practically all tail wheel prop fighters.
Line up carefully centering the tailwheel, lock it if the plane has a locking tailwheel, feed in the power gradually and in increments. Expect the left turning forces but do NOT arbitrarily use rudder. Just watch the nose and be ready to compensate AS NEEDED. Remember torque is a ROLL correction needing aileron not rudder and you will need less of that as the takeoff progresses.
Trim will NOT be of much help before rotation. The recommended amount should be used as it is usually optimized for the first power reduction in the climb.
Just keep practicing. You'll get better over time.
Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Rudder and pitch control are very sensitive, so keep movements small. Don't hit the throttle too hard until you're moving fast enough for good rudder authority. Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-kCeuxMBoQ.

Seeya
ATB

russellwwest
Airman First Class

Post by russellwwest »

Awesome, thanks both. Really helpful advice.
Thankfully I have unlimited lives in flight sim :lol:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Feeding in the power steady is the best advice I think out of all the points, don't just think pedal to the metal as that's how you ground loop and have a bad time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: If you're starting out and tbh just for safe nice take off just feed it in as Dudley says and you should be set the P-40 isn't too much of a beast on the ground I find when feeding it in.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

P40 Master
Airman

Post by P40 Master »

I very rarely use full power (41 inches) in the P40 unless its fully loaded, Slowly stand the power up until you hit 30 inches let the prop bring the manifold pressure up to around 37 inches. Ive taken the steerable tail wheel off the P40 i find it alot easier to handle on the take off roll

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”