PAINTKIT

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Re: PAINTKIT

Post by blackhawks »

Sorry to worm in on the conversation, but I always learn so much from you guys discussing painting after a new release. I have a question: I'm not sure why, if using photoshop the whole way, you need to make the ALPHA a bmp? I leave it as a PSD, flatten it, copy the falttened layer and paste into that psd file's alpha channel. Shift + drag (to ensure everything lines up) that alpha into the full color PSD, delete the old (blank) ALPHA and it is all ready to flatten and use the nvidia plugin. Have I been doing something wrong? It seems to me, at least one less step in the whole process with no drawback, that I've noticed. I'm using photoshop CS4, not very different from other versions for what we're doing.
-mike

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

blackhawks wrote:Sorry to worm in on the conversation, but I always learn so much from you guys discussing painting after a new release. I have a question: I'm not sure why, if using photoshop the whole way, you need to make the ALPHA a bmp? I leave it as a PSD, flatten it, copy the falttened layer and paste into that psd file's alpha channel. Shift + drag (to ensure everything lines up) that alpha into the full color PSD, delete the old (blank) ALPHA and it is all ready to flatten and use the nvidia plugin. Have I been doing something wrong? It seems to me, at least one less step in the whole process with no drawback, that I've noticed. I'm using photoshop CS4, not very different from other versions for what we're doing.
I used to do this myself, until I flattened the PSD then saved over it, losing my entire PSD. :)

Now I don't mind doing the extra steps just to be sure I don't do something stupid again.

Aussie15
Airman Basic

Post by Aussie15 »

Instead of a massive 370MB + texture file is there any plan to break each one into 5 seperate files of each Main, Main Alpha, Spec and Spec Alpha?

At the moment it is very hard on my computer and takes forever to open. I have tried to break them up but seem to lose all the layers.

Cheers
Pat
Cheers
Pat

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

ICDP wrote: I used to do this myself, until I flattened the PSD then saved over it, losing my entire PSD. :)
Now I don't mind doing the extra steps just to be sure I don't do something stupid again.
I've only permanently lost one. I've screwed it up countless times... Luckily photoshop will let me hit flatten and save (by mistake), but as long as I haven't closed the window and I swear loud enough, I can hit the back button and undo the flatten and resave with the layers intact. I can't tell you how much I love (and apparently need) that feature.

Thanks again for the wonderful paint kit! The all 5 layers together is growing on me. It is wickedly faster at the end when you're ready to make the individual files. Cut and paste 10 times and you're done.
-mike

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

OK, I'll try it again when I get home..

meanwhile, my two RAF paints are now on OZx, enjoy them!

FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

04rc51
Airman

Post by 04rc51 »

i have a repaint request,would greatly apprciate it,i know its a newer version but would still look sweet.thanks in advance

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

started working on it - and although the size is big, it has its advantages, and the quality is what we've come to expect from A2A : outstanding

Aussie15
Airman Basic

Post by Aussie15 »

I have given up on the paintkit.

I usually like to work with Paint Shop Pro which I have set to read the Photoshop format but it cannot handle this texture file and keeps giving me a "Not enough memory" message or "This file has unsupported ****** files and cannot be loaded"

Not only that with everthing in one huge file it is very hard on my eyes. I am in my mid 60s and have weak eyes and small bits get missed. I would prefer to see a file that is made into 5 separate files which for me would be much easier to work with.

And I love my painting now that I am a retired gentleman.
Cheers
Pat

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

04rc51 wrote:i have a repaint request,would greatly apprciate it,i know its a newer version but would still look sweet.thanks in advance

looks like fun to do - going to give it a try

04rc51
Airman

Post by 04rc51 »

^Cool man,thanks a bunch

Solareagle
Senior Airman

Post by Solareagle »

jcblom wrote:I'm having problems just opening the normal file, 370 MB, it takes my poor computer about 5 minutes....
If you do a lot of photoshop work a SSD is a great investment. I've got the Intel 320 120GB for my OS and applications, and it loads the paintkit in a 1:20. I've only got a SATA II SDD, so a fast SATA III drive would load it in almost half that time. SSD's are by far the best upgrade you can make to a system right now to increas overall response, because pretty much anytime you are waiting on a computer these days you're waitng on the disk drive. With a SSD most programs open instantly. Photoshop elements is finished loading in 2 seconds or less.
A man's dreams are an index to his greatness.

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

I have a request for a painter. if their is one here who would not mind doing a texture for me. I am posting a picture of the P-40s owned by the planes of fame air museum in Chino California and Grand Canyon Arizona.
I would like to get these textures for my WOP3 P-40.
Can someone please help.
The desert tan is a true P-40 trainer.
The green one would like done as a two tone camo green texture. both with the sharks mouth

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Sorry guys. i tried to load p[icts but get the msg....Sorry the board attachment quota has been reached.....
Guess i will have to do without the paints.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Trucker, use an image hosting site such as photobucket and then post ont he forums using [IMG] tags.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

OK Trying this....Hope it works.ImageImageImage
would like these paints done with an addition to the green paint( would like this one done as a two tone green Camo)
The brown camo P-40 is a true trainer.

Thought everyone might like this head on shot of the P-40

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”