recommended carb heat usage

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

recommended carb heat usage

Post by pilottj »

Just curious if the recommended carb heat was that of typical GA aircraft...ie low power settings in the air, visible moisture near freezing temps...etc
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Re: recommended carb heat usage

Post by Erlk0enig »

*Bump*

This is something I would also like to have clarified. The manual is a bit quiet about this, apart from the rule that carb heat should be on during landing preparation. Would be good to know what has been modeled and what not.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We were unable to get definitive information about the carb icing in the Allison engine and have this part of the code "on ice." It's possible these engines are very difficult to ice up, but we do not wish to add a feature that is not accurate. The carb heat / ram air system does operate however. Expect more clarification on this down the road.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Erlk0enig
A2A Mechanic

Post by Erlk0enig »

Thanks for the answer. So there is no need to use it ATM.

Best Regards and nice job on this wonderful aircraft,

E.
Best Regards,
Ralf

R9 7900 X, 64 GB DDR5, RTX4090, HP Reverb G2

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Apologies if I have missed elsewhere but has this situation now changed in the years that have passed? Is carb heat usage now more of a factor in the latest P3Dv5 version for example?

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Generally speaking in prop fighters, as far as carb ice is concerned you familiarize yourself with a good icing chart and use the carb temp gauge and monitor manifold pressure. Normal position for the heat is OFF. You only use heat if there are indications of carb ice.

Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The P-40 is my favorite A2A aircraft. Specifically, ARMY 155. Never had carb ice. I like to think that I would notice a drop in manifold pressure that would indicate a possible icing situation in time to activate carb heat.

Just completed a nice flight from Anacortes (74S) to Hoquiam (KHQM); now parked in front of Lana's.

Here we are on upwind:

Lana's:

Seeya
ATB

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 20:32 Generally speaking in prop fighters, as far as carb ice is concerned you familiarize yourself with a good icing chart and use the carb temp gauge and monitor manifold pressure. Normal position for the heat is OFF. You only use heat if there are indications of carb ice.

Dudley Henriques
Thanks Dudley, just wasn’t sure if it had been modelled yet looking at the previous comments in the thread.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Paughco wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 21:35 The P-40 is my favorite A2A aircraft. Specifically, ARMY 155. Never had carb ice. I like to think that I would notice a drop in manifold pressure that would indicate a possible icing situation in time to activate carb heat.

Just completed a nice flight from Anacortes (74S) to Hoquiam (KHQM); now parked in front of Lana's.
The P-40 always reminds me of you Paughco as I know it’s your main ride! Love KHQM too, great for seeing that beautiful part of the US.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Same for me Rob, P-40 is Paughco, Bike tours is Paughco :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

For sure, P-40 and bikes is all Paughco :wink:

We operated the Harvards exactly as Dudley detailed with no need for carb heat on approach like the GA procedures. In roughly 500 hours of Harvard time I only ever needed carb heat once. That time was in the early 80's and I was heading from Calgary to Penticton with my girlfriend (now my wife :)) to meet my Dad. The weather at the time was such that we decided to go for breakfast and wait an hour or two to see if it would clear up. I can't remember the temperature at the time but after waiting a bit for whatever clearing was going to happen, we decided to go ahead. The overcast was low enough that we had to get Special VFR clearance to get out of Calgary, but it was forecast to clear more fully as we headed south west.

So, we launched off runway 07 hoping to be able to climb to about 600' below the overcast. As the gear was on the way up, I realized we were only pulling about 32" of MP (and it was slowly decreasing), when it had been 36" on the takeoff roll. Increasing the throttle setting did nothing to increase manifold pressure, which was initially quite concerning so low to the ground...scary actually, but that's when the light bulb in my head went off. Full carb heat had an almost instant effect and the MP started to climb until back to a normal range at which time I set the heat for the temperature I wanted by the gauge and away we went to sunnier skies....a lesson the young guy would never forget that came in quite handy the first time I saw the same situation in the A2A T-6 :mrgreen:

Edit: The interesting thing about the experience was that we are usually trained to be looking for carb ice under certain conditions, ie: -5 to +5C-ish and visible moisture. In this case, there was no visible moisture and visibility was 15 - 20 miles below the overcast...watch the MP for abnormal behavior... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”