Zen flying

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
SaturnSix
Airman

Zen flying

Post by SaturnSix »

Last night, following a night shift at my 'day' job (I fly satellites for a living) and with plenty on my mind making sleep difficult, I set out on in the P-40 on a 200 mile cross country flight across the Australian interior at night. Not the best aircraft for night navigation, but an interesting challenge! With no outside references worth looking at, the flight was mostly focused on an instrument scan to keep straight and level and on course - something that requires constant attention given that the aircraft isn't particularly inclined to stay in that attitude. There was little else to see or do except for looking at a few instruments in the dim cockpit and listen to the constant drone of the Allison engine.

This relatively simple but focused mental task and the relaxing sound of the engine did the trick - I found the cruise flew by (pun intended) in something of a zen state with little else to think about.

Happily, the town lights of my destination appeared more or less where and when expected, allowing for a satisfying landing after the flight. A wonderfully relaxing experience!
Chris Lowe
Private Pilot
C172 Skyhawk, PA28 Cherokee, V35B Bonanza, L049 Constellation, Spitfire, P51D Mustang, P40 Warhawk, J3 Cub

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Zen flying

Post by TreeTops »

Nice work Chris,
Instead of oooming away, listening to the sweet sounds of the engine seems like way to go.
Well done on the direct reckoning at night in the P40. Not an easy aircraft to achieve this.
Cheers
Trev

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Zen flying

Post by Hook »

When I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was, "What is the sound of one piston slapping?" :D
I found the cruise flew by (pun intended) in something of a zen state with little else to think about.
This is one reason I love flying. I've been doing a few flights over water (latest Malta to Crete), and without clouds and just enough haze to make the horizon indistinct it was exactly like what you describe.

It think it might be a little like tai chi where you have to focus so much in the moment that it drives almost everything else from your mind. I've found that flying is a good stress reliever.

Anyway, thanks for the post, and putting into words something I've felt often.

Hook

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”