:-O

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
TatoBean
Airman First Class

:-O

Post by TatoBean »

So, I haven’t been able to sleep all night (unrelated to this post) so what do you do when you can’t sleep? You go fly. I decided to finally take the P40 up after studying for about 6 weeks. Figuring out how to make it work, basic speeds and power settings stuff like that. And I would love to be able to comment about how the A2A folks did on the airplane. But I was too dam busy trimming, and pumping, and levering, and trimming, and levering, and pumping, and OH CRAP IM OVERHEATING, and levering

You all weren’t kidding when you said this thing was a handful. I feel like I got a workout in. I’d imagine it gets easier when you have more than 1 hour in. But I don’t think I’ve ever been that far behind an airplane since my first T-45 ride. And that was a large number of years ago!
Let the potato rest for 5 minutes.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Re: :-O

Post by curtis72561 »

TatoBean wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 04:49 So, I haven’t been able to sleep all night (unrelated to this post) so what do you do when you can’t sleep? You go fly. I decided to finally take the P40 up after studying for about 6 weeks. Figuring out how to make it work, basic speeds and power settings stuff like that. And I would love to be able to comment about how the A2A folks did on the airplane. But I was too dam busy trimming, and pumping, and levering, and trimming, and levering, and pumping, and OH CRAP IM OVERHEATING, and levering

You all weren’t kidding when you said this thing was a handful. I feel like I got a workout in. I’d imagine it gets easier when you have more than 1 hour in. But I don’t think I’ve ever been that far behind an airplane since my first T-45 ride. And that was a large number of years ago!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what you mean. I have maybe 10 hours and still can't enjoy the view because of all the work.Trim elevator, crap rudder or ailerons need attention, now temp. By now I need to lower flaps and gear which is a chore in itself. But when you land and taxi to parking it feels like you really did something. Kind of fulfilling.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Pump Pump Pump! Just like the early Spitfire MkI, I-16 etc. Its very much of its time 8) 8) Keeps you busy on landing and takeoff phases for sure

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I love the P-40 for the work that is involved in flying it. I never use the electric hydraulic pump but prefer the manual lever. Something that makes a huge difference is to set up joy stick buttons to operate the manual pump handle as well as flaps and gear controls. Having them on keyboard is ok but the P-40 is not an aircraft that you want to take for granted. Attitude, Altitude and Roll can [ and will ] change very quickly and not usually for the better :) . Mousing around in the cockpit of the P-40 is likely to make for a short flight :wink: . I have a rotary axis on my X52 Pro that I use for the radiator flaps and that is a big help as well.

I love the fact that the gear come up independently just like most P-40's I've seen fly. It makes for interesting approaches and departures.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

When you first start flying the P-40 it is very much a handful. After a while you "get ahead of the aircraft" and it becomes no harder than flying any other complex airplane. In fact, it was the P-40 that taught me exactly what "getting ahead of the aircraft" actually meant.

Hook

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The P-40 is the airplane that sold me on A2A. I like that they released it in it's most elemental form, the P-40B/C. I've got the trigger on my Thrustmaster T.16000 mapped to the hydraulic pump. I pull the trigger and the little button on the top of the stick goes down. I believe that it has a greater roll rate than the P-51, and maybe even better than the Spitfire. Here's a picture of some guys sighting in the guns on an early model P-40:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AC ... authuser=0

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 07 Sep 2020, 02:09, edited 3 times in total.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Wow - that's an incredible cool painting!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

That's what the P-40 is all about. Incredible people doing incredible stuff so the good guys can go up and shoot down bad guys.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”