Which variant of P40 is the A2A aircraft modelled on?

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
daveyg
Airman

Which variant of P40 is the A2A aircraft modelled on?

Post by daveyg »

With all of my aircraft I like to try to carry out whatever research I can, read whatever I can find and to get copies of original Pilot's Notes and manuals if possible. It helps (as I discovered with the Texan) if I know the right variant to concentrate on. So, what are we based on here please?

I have managed to get airborne - but have yet to successfully get 'ground borne' :roll: I struggle with managing speed, rate of descent and going round. I think that the low speed handling isn't quite as benign as the notes lead me to believe - but I'll get there. I am really enjoying exploring the airborne bit though.

Thanks

Dave

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Re: Which variant of P40 is the A2A aircraft modelled on?

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Like the a2a spitfire they have modelled 3 very similar models it should tell you in the name of it when you pick the aircraft to fly.
AKA "Memey"

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Just to add from the manual: “ Five different models, P-40B, P-40C, AVG model, RAF Tomahawk, and Russian Tomahawk“. So not really sure if some models were eliminated in the latest release according to what He11Dude04 wrote above. The best way to check is like He11Dude04 says: select it in the aircraft menu and see what options you have. Regardless, shes a really interesting aircraft, some what of a handful at first, and “almost” as much fun to fly as the Spitfire!🙂

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Like the other guys said: RTFM. Also, here's some Wikipedia info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P ... k_variants.

More details here: http://p40warhawk.com/Variants/Variants.htm.

Army 155, my favorite, is a P-40B.

Seeya
ATB

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Jacques wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 15:09 Just to add from the manual: “ Five different models, P-40B, P-40C, AVG model, RAF Tomahawk, and Russian Tomahawk“. So not really sure if some models were eliminated in the latest release according to what He11Dude04 wrote above. The best way to check is like He11Dude04 says: select it in the aircraft menu and see what options you have. Regardless, shes a really interesting aircraft, some what of a handful at first, and “almost” as much fun to fly as the Spitfire!🙂
Huh are the AVG and Russian ones different models ? I just thought they were different paints for the existent ones.
AKA "Memey"

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Huh are the AVG and Russian ones different models ? I just thought they were different paints for the existent ones.
TBH thats kind of what I thought...I was just quoting the manual above.

Edit: turns out you are correct, basically three models, the difference being defined by fuel load (definitely capacity and maybe configuration?)👍

daveyg
Airman

Post by daveyg »

Thanks fellas, interesting. I guess I didn't phrase my question particularly well, when I said 'modelled' I was thinking of the dynamic modelling of the software, but no worries I went with the information that you gave me. So, I have a copy of the USAAF Army Air Corps 'Pilots Handbook of Flight Operating Instructions' and the AP2013A 'Pilots Notes' for the Tomahawk Mk 1. They make for interesting reading - if only for the differences, although I have only skimmed them so far. I suspect that, in part at least, the differences in operating procedures might be due to a different engine on the Tomahawk and slightly different control positions used by the RAF. The Warhawk had the Allison V 1710 33 and the Tomahawk V 1710 V15; what the differences were I don't know. Also the RAF seemed to favour the mixture lever to be Full Rich - Aft and Lean - Forward (same on the Harvard).

I can tell you from earlier looking around that the Tomahawk carried less on board fuel than the Warhawk because of the RAF'S requirement to fit self sealing fuel tanks. Hence the drop or belly tank.

I might be back when I've read the manuals more carefully :)

Thanks again

dave

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

That’s a good plan, Dave. I would guess a fair number of us here have a folder or desk drawer full of manuals picked from PDFs found online. They can certainly be useful, along with the A2A manual, to fine-tune your procedures.

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”