VIDEO: P-40 Tutorial Series Part Three - Landing and Taking Off

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

VIDEO: P-40 Tutorial Series Part Three - Landing and Taking Off

Post by Dreamsofwings »

So here is part three!
Of all the A2A warbirds, the P-40 is the one I find most challenging to land in a way that feels satisfying and that would warrant a swagger back into the crew room. Whether it's down to my lack of hours in it, or that I am too used to more of a gliding approach I am not sure, but this is a different bird and the 'engine assisted landing' is a whole new ball game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGLROvjSqe8

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: VIDEO: P-40 Tutorial Series Part Three - Landing and Taking Off

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Well done as usual Rob!!

I've flown the P-40 very little in comparison to the other warbirds and you've motivated me to get more familiar with it :D I think I have good news about the carb heat thing...unless you've read otherwise (if you have, please share :wink: ), there is no reason for the carb heat on/off dance with this airplane. I know lots of light GA singles have that requirement, but my take on it would be that the P-40 is the same as the Harvard and Mustang, with which you don't use carb heat unless you have an indication that it's needed, usually seen in the form of a drop in manifold pressure. I check it on the runup and never touch it again unless I suspect icing.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Thanks Rob. Had some interesting feedback including that it was more usual to perform a two wheel landing than a three pointer. Going to be trying that!
Yes the carb heat feels unusual but it is in the A2A manual in the landing section so I thought I should follow it in this.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Great video! Thank you for that, and for the whole series on the P-40.

I know that it calls for carb heat on landing in the manual, but Dudley says you can leave it in the off position, so that's what I've always done, with never a problem.

Before taking his first flight in a P-40, I'm sure that the pilot would have passed the blindfold test, where he'd have to find every possible switch, lever, or other control in an instant, by feel alone. I'm betting that a P-40 pilot would almost never look down at the gear or flap levers. He'd just drop his left hand from the throttle and move the appropriate lever to the appropriate position, and then activate the hydraulic pump on the stick with his right pinkie finger, all the while keeping his eyes out of the cockpit, with glances to the airspeed indicator. Best way I know to duplicate this action is to 1) use the Shift+1 gear and flap handle position indicators, and 2) set the trigger on my stick to activate the hydraulic pump. Way quicker and easier.

I used to pump the hydraulic handle to make sure the gear is fully down, but I haven't done that since I discovered that you can hear and "feel" two slight clunks as each gear is fully extended. I keep the hydraulic pump running for a few more seconds, then neutralize the gear handle. It's extremely important to neutralize the gear handle after the gear is down. That is the only gear lock on the airplane.

Two videos that I have saved as favorites on YouTube are Sim CFI's tips on landing the P-40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8uVYc ... ex=3&t=12s, and Curtiss Wright's WW2-era training film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIg7Jx ... 0A&index=4. Go to around 22.0 minutes into the second video for tips on landing. Hmm. The Curtiss rep recommends carb heat. I'm gonna go with Dudley's recommendation.

I've got a lot of hours on my A2A P-40, and it's my favorite airplane. Still, for me at least, proficiency in that aircraft goes away fast if I haven't flown it in a while. Needless to say, I'm going to fly it today, in preparation for our MP flight tomorrow: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=71725.

"With men like these; flying planes like these; they're always be a flag like this, waving in the breeze."

Seeya
ATB

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Many thanks Paughco! That’s very interesting information too, thanks for posting that!
Nice to forget the Carb heat. One less thing etc!
I think the Shift1 menu is a great idea and I mentioned it toward the end. Stupidly I prefer not to have it up because it gets in the way of a realistic ‘view’ though it would make life a lot easier if I wasn’t such a dumbass and used it!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Dreamsofwings wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 13:56 I think the Shift1 menu is a great idea and I mentioned it toward the end. Stupidly I prefer not to have it up because it gets in the way of a realistic ‘view’ though it would make life a lot easier if I wasn’t such a dumbass and used it!
Totally understand, Rob. I was there, too, but I've used it quite a bit recently and the "intrusiveness" seems to be going away. I rationalise that it's one more compromise I make to have a sim that feels as real as possible without making it more complicated than reality.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

ratty wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 18:43
Dreamsofwings wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 13:56 I think the Shift1 menu is a great idea and I mentioned it toward the end. Stupidly I prefer not to have it up because it gets in the way of a realistic ‘view’ though it would make life a lot easier if I wasn’t such a dumbass and used it!
Totally understand, Rob. I was there, too, but I've used it quite a bit recently and the "intrusiveness" seems to be going away. I rationalise that it's one more compromise I make to have a sim that feels as real as possible without making it more complicated than reality.
Yes very well put! Since one can’t reach down and feel for the position without taking eyes off the outside world it seems a way of getting round it. I will have to give it a try on my next circuit bashing session.
You and Paughco know your stuff so it’s worth a go.

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”