Using the CAT gauge

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Using the CAT gauge

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

I'm going to switch from the Tomahawk to the C model. I realized there's an other CAT gauge without green marking and started to think about how to interpret this green area. I thought like e.g. the T6 if you're in icing conditions like clouds and low air temperatures you should bring the CAT in the green area or above with carb heat or higher supercharger output to prevent carb icing. The green area is the more or less "save" sector. Am I right here?

Could somebody explain the CAT things with the P40 in detail?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Using the CAT gauge

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hey Zacke,

The carb air temp gauge function is no different in the P-40 than any other airplane, rather it's just a generic operation if your airplane even has a CAT gauge...lots don't.

Icing conditions are not particularly predictable and often quite local, so there's no need to fixate on carb air temp. The gauge is only used when you suspect carb ice is being actually formed, which will result in a reduction in rpm (fixed pitch) or manifold pressure (constant speed). At that point only, should you need to adjust the carb temperature to operate in the green band.

Having said that, there's nothing really wrong with using carb heat as a preventative measure, but if actually needed, the larger concern to me would be getting out of those conditions asap regardless. Icing conditions being what they are, it is not unlikely that the situation could worsen and/or include airframe icing, so as I was adjusting the carb heat I'd be climbing, descending, turning around or doing something to get the hell out of there! It would also not be unlikely that the use of heat as a preventative measure could mask a deteriorating situation to the point that by the time you saw the issue manifested in the form of carb ice or any other way, it could be much more serious.

Personally, I'd rather use carb heat as a temporary remedy while in the process of improving my situation rather than as a preventative measure to allow continued flight in that situation. I would then know at the first indication of carb icing, that it was time to come up with a new plan. :mrgreen:

Just my thoughts...

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thx Rob!

Did I get that right with the green band?

Zacke

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I didn't have a look at the gauges in the P-40s...that's how little attention I pay to carb heat lol and I don't understand ''"save" sector"... :?
Just if you suspect carb ice is forming, adjust the temperature into the green band, whatever that may be.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”