Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
RodBorza
Airman

Fuel Tank Usage Order

Post by RodBorza »

Hello all,

She's a beauty, but a handful to fly.
Found it very stable in flight, but taking off and landing, oh boy, you really need to pay attention to those levers positions.
Well, I like the challenge.

Anyway, I have a question regarding fuel tank usage order. Which one comes first. The aircraft started with Fuselage tank empty, Wing tank and Reserve tank full.
I selected wing tank and off we went. However, mid flight I changed to the Reserve tank. But a bit little later it occurred to me: If I use the reserve tank first, the center of gravity will be shifted backwards, and then I may get in a dangerous situation. Then I switched back to the wing tank.

So, if all tanks full, what would be the right order fro usage: fuselage, then wing, then reserve? (maybe, that's why it has reserve on its name, because it must be the last one that should ever be used).

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Fuel Tank Usage Order

Post by ratty »

In the P-51, the excess pumped fuel goes back into the left tank, so we start running on that tank to make room and ensure fuel is not pumped overboard.

The excess fuel in the P-40 goes into the reserve tank. So we start running on that and use "some", to make room. How much varies from user to user. I like to get to the fuselage tank fairly quickly because that's the one that has the most effect on longitudinal stability, and the sooner it's empty the better. After that, I switch to wing, and when that's dry go to reserve.

Our little multiplayer Misfit Squadron flies the P-40 fairly often and we've debated and explored the fuel issue. Some of the others may chime in. I know that in WWII there were variations in the plumbing arrangements of both the P-51 and the P-40, but I think this method works for all versions of the A2A bird.

RodBorza
Airman

Post by RodBorza »

Oh, thanks. That's good information.

I have the P-51, both A2A's and the DCS one. Always starting on the left tank, for that same reason.
The P-40 is a novelty for me, and I'm loving that Allisson engine sound.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I put off buying it because I already had the Spitfire and Mustang, but when they offered it for free I decided to give it a chance. I'm with you on the engine sound, and the airplane definitely has its own unique charm.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The P-40 is where it's at. Almost as tricky to land as the T-6. Handles better than a Mustang or even a Spitfire at low altitude (IMHO). Can go pretty far if you get her trimmed out at about 10,000 ft or so and on auto-lean. Nothin' like it!

Seeya
ATB

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Here is a good post from a couple of years ago that covers the intricacies of the fuel system for the A2A P-40: viewtopic.php?t=70125

to go along with Ratty’s good advice!

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Jacques wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 14:09 Here is a good post from a couple of years ago that covers the intricacies of the fuel system for the A2A P-40: viewtopic.php?t=70125

to go along with Ratty’s good advice!
Good stuff! I really enjoy exploring the finer points of these aircraft.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Jacques wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 14:09 Here is a good post from a couple of years ago that covers the intricacies of the fuel system for the A2A P-40: viewtopic.php?t=70125
Hey, thanks for posting that! It's more detailed than my notes on the aircraft in the P-40 folder, and I'd forgotten about the thread I'd made about it.

Hook

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”