A2A installation

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
jinyong.pan
Airman

A2A installation

Post by jinyong.pan »

Hello

I'm new to A2A. Downloaded and installed the free P40. I installed FSX SE (from Steam) on D drive (not C. so I had to manually direct the install folder).

I can see WoP3_P40 in the airplanes folder. But i can't find the airplane in the game. (free flight). Where did i do wrong?

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: A2A installation

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome,

If you had to manually direct the installer to your FSX directory, it's possible that the Windows Registry entries for FSX may not be correct. Do you have both the disk and Steam version of FSX installed alongside each other?

However, if you installed first the "wop3_p40.exe" and then "P40_Accusim.exe" and you can see the "WoP3_P40" folder in "steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes" the installation should be good. Please can you run the updater available here, and then check the list of installed aircraft. The Accu-Sim Warhawk is listed under "Curtiss P-40".

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

Thanks Nick! It may take some time for me to go through that post. I'm new to A2A. Have been playing FSX for a while (not an expert but i can navigate from A to B). I'm also learning how to fly. A2A training airplanes look quite interesting.
I also downloaded an airplane from another provider. Having the same problem. So i guess it might be the configuration of FSX. Would it be helpful to reinstall to the default C drive?
Really appreciate your help. I think if i can figure out the installation at least i would try C172 trainer afterwards.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Hang in. You're on to something good. A2A are the best add-on aircraft I've seen so far. Nick will help you get it sorted. Stick with it. Read the manuals that come with each aircraft, and enjoy and learn about aviation.

The P-40 is a beast, but after you learn how to fly it, it will become your beast.

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info jinyong.pan. Installing FSX-SE to a different drive isn't a problem as long as you do it at installation (via defining a new Steam library location) rather than by manually moving any files or folders.

Just to help understand the issue, do you also have the disk version of FSX installed (or have you previously) or has it always just been FSX-SE on your current PC?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

originally I bought a box version from the pilot shop. but I re installed within steam by just downloading from the web.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

it's always FSX SE. But I have steam installed on several of my computers with FSX.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

I did the reinstall. The airplane showed up. Awesome. Just make sure to go to app feature to clean up all FSX related items before re installing. Just trying to figure out how to start the engine. Ctrl-E doesn't work any more.
I do have a couple of questions. Hope someone here can help me out.
1, I watched some of the videos on youtube. It looks quite sophisticated to operate (compare to default FSX). Is there some way that it can start from a very easy level. So I can start flying(have fun) right away without worrying about the details. Once I get a hang of it I can gradually add these feature in to have a more realistic configuration.
2, Where can I find a complete manual to show me how to fly the airplane step by step.

Thanks in advance!
John

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi John,

Good to hear the reinstall was successful. Ctrl + e should work fine for an auto-start, but make sure you use the custom fuel and payload manager (Shift 4) to check fuel and oil, and the maintenance hangar (Shift 7) to check for and fix any issues. Auto-start and various other functions can also be accessed via the Shift 3 menu.

If you're having trouble starting with Ctrl + e , try opening the throttle a touch. The manuals for the P-40 should be available from the "A2A Simulations" folder in the Windows start menu.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

Hi Nick,

I went to the hanger. The red thingies are everywhere. How do I complete the maintenance in a easy way?
THanks
John

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

This sounds exactly like the issue macgyver22 had with his P-40 in FSX:SE... viewtopic.php?f=83&t=70617

That turned out to be a simconnect issue and a reinstall of simconnect fixed the problem. Now macgyver22 only has same problem as you...learning to fly the airplane :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, reinstalling SimConnect is a good idea. You can access the installer locally from this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi

Also, please make sure your default FSX flight isn't modified to use a complex add-on such as the P-40. You're better off using one of the simple stock aircraft such as the Trike or Cessna 172SP for this purpose.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

Maybe P40 is way too complex for beginners. I spent couple of hours trying things shift-3/7 etc (btw where can I find the instructions for these generic fast keys and how to do the maintenance? The pdf instructions are fun and in-depth knowledge but not much help for beginners). All I can move was the canopy and with no sound. And I don't even know if the Saitek yoke/quadrant would work as before. Really appreciate if someone can give me a step by step. Or shall I fly C172 trainer first?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello John,

Yes, if you're a complete beginner, the 172 is much easier to get to grips with than a warbird like the P-40. Or something like the retractable-gear Comanche 250 offers a bit more performance and 'retro feel' than the Skyhawk, without the complexities of the P-40's handling and hydraulics system.

Did you manage to sort out all the red items in the hangar?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jinyong.pan
Airman

Post by jinyong.pan »

Hello Nick,

I'm going to try C172. Just a quick question. Would it be better to use Prepare3D instead of FSX?

Do you have a basic instruction for beginners in terms of the key board configuration? I have a Saitek/quadrant + rudder. I know it takes time to figure out but it really helps if I have a starter's handbook.

Thanks
John

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”