convenience AP/afk mode?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Snoober
Airman

convenience AP/afk mode?

Post by Snoober »

Hi, I haven't flown my A2A planes for awhile but I thought I remembered the P-51 mil and P-40 have a "convenience" autopilot where it just keeps wings level. Also, some planes have the "afk window" for convenience but it seems as if P-51 mil and P-40 do not. Is it possible to add this afk window to these planes? And is there some barebones "unrealistic convenience" AP?

I ask for P-51 mil and P-40 so I just chose to post it here instead of both forums. Thanks!
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Beechcraft Bonanza V-tail
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • North American P-51 Mustang
  • North American P-51 Civilian Mustang
  • Piper J-3 Cub

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: convenience AP/afk mode?

Post by Jacques »

I think the Constellation and maybe the Stratocruiser have an AFK option in the 2D panels…but I’m not certain about the rest of the fleet.
-Edit: I refreshed my memory on this…the AFK would pause the simulation if an issue developed with the aircraft or a passenger, so you could afford to step away from a long flight.

For a basic wing leveler you can check in your FSX/P3D options menu to see if there is already a key press for a basic autopilot. In my version P3Dv4.5 it is “Z” or “ctrl + Z”… but honestly can’t remember which.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

In the P-40, looking in the aircraft.cfg file, under the autopilot section it shows "autopilot enabled=1". I'm not sure if that's how it comes out of the box, or if I adjusted it sometime, but with this setting you can turn heading hold on/off with Control H, and altitude hold with Control Z.

I recently altered the Cub's config file to read =1 and got the same result, so it should work in the Military Mustang as well.

Snoober
Airman

Post by Snoober »

ratty wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 15:23 In the P-40, looking in the aircraft.cfg file, under the autopilot section it shows "autopilot enabled=1". I'm not sure if that's how it comes out of the box, or if I adjusted it sometime, but with this setting you can turn heading hold on/off with Control H, and altitude hold with Control Z.

I recently altered the Cub's config file to read =1 and got the same result, so it should work in the Military Mustang as well.
ok, I'll try with my alt/hdg hold hotkeys. i think i tried with master AP hotkey and it didn't work. thanks!

EDIT: it worked
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • Piper J-3 Cub

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

In my A2A P-40 the keyboard [Z] toggling the autopilot on/off works only when the radio is turned on (switch on right side of cockpit).

Seeya
ATB

Snoober
Airman

Post by Snoober »

Paughco wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 11:00 In my A2A P-40 the keyboard [Z] toggling the autopilot on/off works only when the radio is turned on (switch on right side of cockpit).

Seeya
ATB
Oh perfect I was just about to post how it didn't work for p40 but I'll try that.
FSX Aircraft:
  • Cessna 182 Skylane
  • Piper Comanche 250
  • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
  • Piper J-3 Cub

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”