SCREENSHOTS (WoP3 P-51 Military)

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
ICDP
BDG & A2A

Re: Accu-Sim P-51 Screenshots

Post by ICDP »

whiic wrote:All the screencaps are of specular highlight / semi-gloss paints. There used to be a mirror-shining model of P-51D that has made it's appearance in some of the early development videos. Are there mirror-shine paints for the craft, in the condition of the product as it was released? Because Spitfire and P-40 don't support mirroring (even for unofficial repaints) (I think the mirror effect must be enabled on the 3D model level, thus just playing with the bitmaps cannot create mirror effect on a plane that doesn't support it) and seeing all these screencaps to be of specular highlight / medium gloss / semi-matte finish...
Thanks for the compliment, that was the effect I was going for. :)

The bare metal effect is still there on our skins, but it is subtle due to the fact that these aircraft were very dirty and rarely polished. When viewed in motion, rather than from a static screenshot it is easily possible to see the bare metal effect under all that dirt and grime.
whiic wrote:All the screencaps are of specular highlight / semi-gloss paints.Anyway, if there's a polished aluminum skin that comes with P-51D, I'd like to see a screencap of it.
Having said that, yes it is possible to create highly polished relfective skins.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful screenies everyone 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

EDIT: screenshots removed to avoid "inappropriate marketing" of another Mustang.
Last edited by Daube on 03 Jun 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

antihero6713
Airman First Class

Post by antihero6713 »

Just me and the Spitfire in tight formation near princess juliana international airport

Flight of 4 A2A birds over princess juliana international airport

Torsten
Airman

Post by Torsten »

Thanks for the Skinpack :D

GREETINGS TORSTEN

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

I love seeing E2-S, my favorite Mustang paint job from the war. And don't worry about polished aluminum skins. My modern skins will have those for sure. :D I need to take a vacation to play with the new Mustang, but something tells me my boss wouldn't quite understand. :)

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

ICDP wrote:
whiic wrote:All the screencaps are of specular highlight / semi-gloss paints. There used to be a mirror-shining model of P-51D that has made it's appearance in some of the early development videos. Are there mirror-shine paints for the craft, in the condition of the product as it was released? Because Spitfire and P-40 don't support mirroring (even for unofficial repaints) (I think the mirror effect must be enabled on the 3D model level, thus just playing with the bitmaps cannot create mirror effect on a plane that doesn't support it) and seeing all these screencaps to be of specular highlight / medium gloss / semi-matte finish...
Thanks for the compliment, that was the effect I was going for. :)

The bare metal effect is still there on our skins, but it is subtle due to the fact that these aircraft were very dirty and rarely polished. When viewed in motion, rather than from a static screenshot it is easily possible to see the bare metal effect under all that dirt and grime.
ICDP wrote:
whiic wrote:All the screencaps are of specular highlight / semi-gloss paints.Anyway, if there's a polished aluminum skin that comes with P-51D, I'd like to see a screencap of it.
Having said that, yes it is possible to create highly polished relfective skins.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/I ... _Metal.jpg [turned image embed to link to save space]
When I meant "mirroring" effect, I didn't mean that. (Or at least from that perpective it looks like diffuse reflection instead of mirror reflection.)

That looks realistic aluminum of non-overly polished yet non-dirty variety. It's not mirroring in "it doesn't produce an intact mirror image that is recognizable" meaning. It has diffuse reflectivity of high reflectivity value plus "specular highlights" rather than mirroring reflection of FSX that uses mirrored pseudo-sky on top surfaces and reflection of pseudo-landscape on lower surfaces. (And I use word "pseudo", since for performance considerations, FSX doesn't render reflections from real-time in-game landscape and sky, but using a static panoramic landscape image. In some cases, you may see a tannish reflection of a desert landscape when you fly over green pastures... (which is one reason why FSX mirroring might actually be inferior to diffuse reflectivity used in Spitfire and P-40)

Example of mirroring I meant:
http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1817.jpg

And yes, diffuse reflectivity looks better than it. But unless the model supports "super-smooth surfaces" that produce non-diffused, mirrored image of pseudo-landscape, you cannot reproduce for example Moonbeam McSwine to FSX world:
A2A P-51D Mustang (Moonbeam McSwine) Walk Around (YouTube)

Whether the real Moonbeam McSwine looks RIDICULOUS being fine-polished that way is a different question. I don't wish to insult the owner of otherwise such a magnificent plane so lets dodge the topic... I'm just curious: can it be done?

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

pjc747 wrote:

Peter, Peter, Peter....you can't land like that...........you haven't lowered the gear yet!!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

whiic wrote:Whether the real Moonbeam McSwine looks RIDICULOUS being fine-polished that way is a different question. I don't wish to insult the owner of otherwise such a magnificent plane so lets dodge the topic... I'm just curious: can it be done?
I have already posted a screenshot showing that it can be done. Relax the painters who want unrealsitic, highly polished shiney aircraft are catered for. :)

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

pjc747 wrote:Image
Nice, you've been in Australia!

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

Killratio wrote:
pjc747 wrote:

Peter, Peter, Peter....you can't land like that...........you haven't lowered the gear yet!!!
Actually, in this instance, wouldn't he be 'raising' the gear (as in UP towards the sky?)...(grin)
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

Torsten
Airman

Post by Torsten »

the last from pjc747 is an breathtaking screenshot :o

GREETINGS TORSTEN

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

ICDP wrote:
whiic wrote:Whether the real Moonbeam McSwine looks RIDICULOUS being fine-polished that way is a different question. I don't wish to insult the owner of otherwise such a magnificent plane so lets dodge the topic... I'm just curious: can it be done?
I have already posted a screenshot showing that it can be done. Relax the painters who want unrealsitic, highly polished shiney aircraft are catered for. :)
I cannot deny that repaint being mirror finished, but I cannot confirm it either. Reason is simple: the screenshot is taken from above, not from horizontal, and because of that, you cannot see the reflection of the pseudo-horizon. What I'm looking at is a reflection of pseudo-sky or a diffuse reflection. I just can't tell which one. Maybe I do however see faint traces of pseudo-horizon on certain parts of the fuselage (but not the wings) but I'm not sure. However: if you say it truly mirrors the pseudo-landscape intact (non-diffused), I'll take your word for it.

Could you upload a shinier version of Moonbeam McSwine to match the condition she's today? The weathered version ( http://a2asimulations.com/public/online ... 51/100.jpg ) was your doing if I understood correctly. The weathered version looks awesome... like all the official skins do, too.

EDIT: Replaced a "." with "?" after "Could you upload..."
I'm in no position to demand anything. :p
Last edited by whiic on 30 May 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

Torsten wrote:the last from pjc747 is an breathtaking screenshot :o

This looks to be a Mustang from the same group the Geraldine is from...
Any chance I can get a repaint in Geraldine livery????

Pa...leesss!!!

i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”