Had my first whoops today

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Had my first whoops today

Post by robert41 »

Started her up cold, had the GPU on, warmed up the oil to 40. taxied to the runway. Closed the canopy, and I hear a sssssssss. Looking around, I see steam coming from the front, look at the temps and the coolant is in the red. What? Shut the engine down, and the realise that I forgot to turn the battery on, so the cooler flaps are shut. Also forgot to unhook the GPU. Well my crew chief was not too happy at this dumb pilot, but no damage in maintenance.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Had my first whoops today

Post by JoeS475 »

Yeah, I had mine last night- was doing some slow flight tests with flaps full down, then got called by a family member so I had to pause. When I came back and unpaused I completely forgot I had flaps down and started to tear up the sky... I promptly snapped the right one and got into an unrecoverable inverted spin. I tried raising them, then I tried releasing hydraulic pressure so they might just sync but no dice. I was in full red-out when I impacted, without a doubt the most violent crash of my flight sim career!

Joe
Joe

636Castle
Senior Airman

Post by 636Castle »

I have 'whoops' moments every time I takeoff.

After I'm in the air, I look around and tell everyone: "You see all that fishtailing on the runway I did back there? That's actually a very old pilot's technique they use to check the *insert random aircraft part here*."

:lol:

MAGGIEMAE
Senior Airman

Post by MAGGIEMAE »

:shock: G940 malfunction crashed and burned on first T/O. Might have to use Cougar next time !
ImageImageImageImage
[ImageImage[/url]

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

Had my first one this afternoon... 3rd leg of a 300 leg VFR coastal world tour... Overcast at 1300... Straight in to 06 at Edinburgh... Came in hot tried to lower the gear at 220+... Slowed down, cycled the gear... Green light! Yes! Of course the right main collapsed on the roll out... Ground looped her... Now I'm afraid to look at the maintenance hanger!

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

I had my first whoops too. I was starting my taxi to the runway at Ketchikan (Orbx, so it has correct uphill/downhill taxiways) and my controls were locked, but I didn't remember ever locking them, and I managed to kill the engine and differential brake in time not to hit the giant retaining wall that holds the runway...

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

Yup. Kept wondering why engine wouldn't go up past 500 rpm after start... then remembered mixture was still in idle cut off. *facepalm* Blondie was very forgiving on me and gave me a great maiden flight afterwards.
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Had mine yesterday, on final (reeeeaaally glad I came in high on this approach) for San Francisco (McClellan Air Park) when suddenly I started an intense roll to my left. with the reaction of me just freaking out I hit my flap switch accidentally which somewhat balanced out the roll in time prior to hitting the ground. I began frantically scanning for the problem and to find out my left flap had failed.
ImageImageImage

Comrade_Bob
Airman First Class

Post by Comrade_Bob »

I had my first whoops yesterday. I was flying around Mt. St. Helens and figured I'd fly over Walter Sutton's Farm (Orbx scenery). Flew over it, then... looking at my bird... then looking at the dirt runway... "I wonder..." So, I came around, lined up with the runway, came on over the powerlines, perhaps a bit too high. Finally got her to touch down, a bit hard, midway down the field. Tough call. Do I try and slow her on down, or take back off, wise up, and realize I'm in over my head? Well, I hit the breaks, and that's when things got messy.

My planed nosed over, the gear collapsed, and she went skidding off the north side of the strip into the large lot with the barn. The mechanics had some good training replacing some crankshaft bearings, a prop, a radiator, and landing gear.

I'll work on becoming proficient with landing the aircraft period before I start trying crowded, short field landings with 25 ft. obstacles at the threshold.

Tom
Tom M.

ImageImageImageImage

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

had my first OOOOOPPPPSSS yesterday......slow take off from my field....Raised gear and powered up to full throtle.....Bellied onto the mountian at the end of the runway.....their is a Mustang sitting about 2800 feet above the airport, along with a B-25, P-40, SBD, Avenger, and P-38......
I should put a sign on the mountian saying, DONT GO THIS WAY :roll:
Now i just need to figure out how to retrieve all of them :mrgreen:

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Had my first oops while showing people how to fly the P-51. Went for a takeoff, all eyes were on me, and D'OH if I wasn't paying enough attention. I rotated too slow, pulled too hard on the stick and essentially torque rolled right back down into the runway, destroying my aircraft completely.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Rusty Lock
Senior Airman

Post by Rusty Lock »

First whoops; Flying from Las Palmas GCLP to Mogador GMMI in the P-47 - I blew the turbo advancing the boost instead of the throttle, still made it though, just not at the altitude I intended, and with a fair bit of noise upfront.
~ Make love to the sky, don't shag it.

ronvking
Airman First Class

First flight (Not quite)

Post by ronvking »

Jumped into my P-51, went thru the checks and hit the start button. Puff of smoke, then NOTHING! :(

Took a while to worked out that I nackered the starter so need to go to the hanger before my first takeoff. DOH! :roll:

Next flight managed (just) to keep her on the tarmac at Shoreham for a takeoff but forgot about the gear while trying to keep from hitting the deck. Refused to retract so emergency landing at Gatwick. Crew chief not too happy. :oops:

Third flight Gatwick to Biggin Hill was not prefect, kangaroo landing but no damage, although beats me how that happened :)

Perhaps I should transfer to bombers?

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: First flight (Not quite)

Post by trucker17 »

ronvking wrote:Jumped into my P-51, went thru the checks and hit the start button. Puff of smoke, then NOTHING! :(

Took a while to worked out that I nackered the starter so need to go to the hanger before my first takeoff. DOH! :roll:

Next flight managed (just) to keep her on the tarmac at Shoreham for a takeoff but forgot about the gear while trying to keep from hitting the deck. Refused to retract so emergency landing at Gatwick. Crew chief not too happy. :oops:

Third flight Gatwick to Biggin Hill was not prefect, kangaroo landing but no damage, although beats me how that happened :)

Perhaps I should transfer to bombers?
Nah...Stay with the fighters....More fun.....
Bombers you just get higher bounces :mrgreen:
My first bomber bounce put her up about 10 to 15 feet......Talk about skiping across the runway :lol:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”