minor things about the core update 1.5 [Solved]

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
polluxware
Staff Sergeant

minor things about the core update 1.5 [Solved]

Post by polluxware »

(military mustang)

TRIM

the trim wheel is waaaaaaay slower, and the mouse wheel interaction have been INVERTED...

i solved the trim wheel speed with the old aircraft.cfg (1.4) -> "trim effectivness", and "border" lines

,but for the inverted interaction with the mouse wheel what i think the p51.air file is contain, i cant edit...

another thing..

supercharger switch, starter switch background metal plate -> it should be way better if it has some real "metalish" texture, another than this simple gray, (or white)
Last edited by polluxware on 21 Nov 2012, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

LordHypnos
Airman

Re: minor things about the core update 1.5 (what i dislike)

Post by LordHypnos »

Trimming her properly for level flight is rather complicated.
When i trim her one click up, she starts a 200fpm climb, when i click her on click nose heavy - vice versa.
I tried to compensate with adjusted power settings, that didn´t work either.
A "trim-sensivity-slider", as seen on an early amercian jet-fighter addon released this month, would be a great addition!

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Remember that trim is made to assist you, not fly the plane itself. That autopilot on your Mustang however can act in this regard on the Civilian model. While the P-51 can be flown and trimmed very well once you have your cruise set up, it is by no means a hands off aircraft. You may not find that perfect for your particular style, but it is realistic.
ImageImage
ImageImage

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

english is not my first language... (its obvious:)

BUT

i hate when i "post" a thing... and the first one who reply, is writing a completely another thing like why is red the Mars planet....

and a support member (CodyW) reply to this fella....

and the third poster will come with whole different thing............

sorry, but i think what i wrote, is may be understandable a bit ,if not much :|

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Don't worry bud, I think we all understood what you wrote. :)

I just don't have much to add to it. The team is looking at a few things however, no doubt.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup, the grey area isnt a texture at all but a missing texture issue we have noted down ready for the next update.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

polluxware wrote:(military mustang)

TRIM

the trim wheel is waaaaaaay slower, and the mouse wheel interaction have been INVERTED...

i solved the trim wheel speed with the old aircraft.cfg (1.4) -> "trim effectivness", and "border" lines

,but for the inverted interaction with the mouse wheel what i think the p51.air file is contain, i cant edit...

another thing..

supercharger switch, starter switch background metal plate -> it should be way better if it has some real "metalish" texture, another than this simple gray, (or white)
We did this deliberately with the Mustang to replicate more accurately the actual trim response on the real Mustang. FSX pitch trim is WAY too sensitive vs real life.
The right way to trim out in pitch in a real airplane is to HOLD the altimeter needle solid with the STICK, then carefully and slowly trim off the pressure required to hold it there until you neutralize the pressure. You don't have the "feel" using a joystick in MSFS that you do when trimming out a real airplane, but you CAN use the altimeter needle as a visual cue to trim the airplane.
Remember, you fly with the stick...............THEN trim off the pressure.
Dudley Henriques

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

Cody, Dudley, Lewis thanks the reply;) +LordHypnos

sorry if i express myself a bit agressive way... its only tied to the first replyer who have problems with controlling the plane itself, and not the first time happen when my post going a completely different way like this (just i lost my temperature, or templar, or the third one)

anyway

1. the trimm is more realistic now.. that what you wanted the first place, i can understand it (i could revert it back 1.4 state)
i know it's hard to find the correct "line" between realism and user friendliness if you have a simple joy and sitting front of a computer

2. trimm wheel movement with mouse scroller... i hope that this could be revertible i mean -> scrolling forward=nose down trimm, scrolling backward, nose up (not a big deal but after flight i resetting it with mouse because its quicker than joy trimm button
!this is what i can't change because the p51.air file is not editable! -> i think thats contain it

3. missing texture at flip switch-> already noted;)

phantom fuel line problem is still exist... but its rather fsx,fsuipc, load module problem... i using the regular c&d button, instead of the auto c&d feature, not a big deal

and that's it;)

its better as always

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

CodyValkyrie wrote:Remember that trim is made to assist you, not fly the plane itself. That autopilot on your Mustang however can act in this regard on the Civilian model. While the P-51 can be flown and trimmed very well once you have your cruise set up, it is by no means a hands off aircraft. You may not find that perfect for your particular style, but it is realistic.
What Cody said it absolutely so. Trimming out a high-performance piston aeroplane such as a P-51 is not a simple or altogether un-frustrating task. Mustangs don’t like to fly hands off for more than a few moments and, as you already know or will soon learn, some modicum of skill is required to fly it properly.

All aeroplanes are trimmed essentially in this way:

1. When at desired altitude, hand- fly until straight and level. Once the airspeed has risen and settled, set desired power:
to increase power - r. p. m. first, then manifold pressure (throttle);
to decrease power - manifold pressure first, then r. p. m.

2. As airspeed rises, gradually trim out control stick (yoke) pressure.

3. Once level and at cruise speed make slight corrections in pitch with trim required to maintain altitude. Trim changes which are too large will cause induced fugoid or shorter period oscillations whereby the aeroplane will tend to change pitch from positive to negative for quite a while before settling down (if it does).

4. Always fly the aeroplane with the control stick (yoke) using the trim wheel to take pressure off; do not to fly the aeroplane with the trim wheel.

5. As indicated airspeed increases the aeroplane will become less stable in pitch and the elevator and elevator trim will become more sensitive. The P-51 has no internal or external control damping system, either aerodynamically or electro/mechanically as is found in many modern jet fighters. In other words; you’re on your own, brother.

6. Oh yes, one more thing; you will have to re-trim whenever you change the power setting and/or airspeed.

Even though it may be a “civilian” Mustang, this aeroplane is nonetheless a fighter at heart. It was designed for speed and maneouverabilty in order to destroy other aircraft in combat and not at all for stability as are bomber and transport aircraft. Experience in Cherokees and Cessna 172s, etc. alone will not likely translate sufficiently to aircraft of this type. Remember, young men of no more than 18 or 19 with absolutely no prior flying experience were taught to fly and fight in this aeroplane. Most of them did a pretty good job of it and so can you.

When trimming for cruise try the above steps and keep practicing. If at any time you are not satisfied with the way it is trimming out, use the autopilot (which, BTW, those young men did not have on those eight - hour missions over Germany, neither did they have a GPS or even a VOR NAV system). So, if you fly with the autopilot on most of the time, we won’t call you a nancy; at least not to your face.

Mitchell

r4y30n
Technical Sergeant

Post by r4y30n »

Mitchell - A2A wrote:2. As airspeed rises, gradually trim out control stick (yoke) pressure.
The key failing point of sims, as Dudley mentioned. Although I have wondered if it would be possible to visually represent trimming by moving the stick's (or yoke's) neutral position in the VC since in real life you will be holding the stick (or yoke) at a non-zero distance from neutral (the zero control deflection point) to maintain straight and level flight and trimming to minimize the effort of keeping it at this non-neutral point. Still doesn't give you feel but it'd be kind of a cool yet subtle detail and maybe show non-real life aviators something they hadn't thought of before; I was clueless about the phenomenon till I got the chance for a few minutes at the yoke of a Beaver.

-Dave
Image Image Image

LordHypnos
Airman

Post by LordHypnos »

I didn´t mean to to hijack your thread polluxware, but your initial post led me to the assumption that our problems were somewhat related.
Arguably, starting a new thread for every minor question/problem is unnecessary IMHO.
I like and respect this forum because it is a place where aviation knowledge is shared in a friendly environment, please let´s keep it this way, thanks!

Anyways, thank you guys for the extensive advice! I´m sure it will enhance my flying skills drastically :)
Guess I have to get rid of my "hands-off-flying-laziness" ;)

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

I'm not sure why nobody ever implements a solution for a variable rate trim. Fortunately I do this through FSUIPC/mousewheel on planes that have an actual wheel for the pilot to turn, but I can certainly see how this would annoy people using just a thumb switch on their joystick....sometimes you want to crank that wheel fast and coarsely, and sometimes you want to just tweak it a little bit with the finest of precision. All that would need to be done to implement this would be to add two commands to the Input configurator, one to increase virtual input rate, one to decrease virtual input rate...do I want to crank that trimwheel faster, or do I want a finer touch?...The pilot's choice whether it be good and proper trimming technique or bad.
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Have you guys ever checked out a little program called real trim? Basically you assign it a button on your stick, and then move your stick so your flying level. Hit the button and then move your stick back to centre then let go of the button. You will find your airplane trimmed to the attitude you were holding. Or there abouts. It makes trimming real easy, and kinda simulates taking off the pressure.

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

seaniam81 wrote:Have you guys ever checked out a little program called real trim? Basically you assign it a button on your stick, and then move your stick so your flying level. Hit the button and then move your stick back to centre then let go of the button. You will find your airplane trimmed to the attitude you were holding. Or there abouts. It makes trimming real easy, and kinda simulates taking off the pressure.
Not trying to knock your suggestion too much, but that sounds like cheating! :P
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

polluxware
Staff Sergeant

Post by polluxware »

LordHypnos wrote:I didn´t mean to to hijack your thread polluxware, but your initial post led me to the assumption that our problems were somewhat related.
Arguably, starting a new thread for every minor question/problem is unnecessary IMHO.
I like and respect this forum because it is a place where aviation knowledge is shared in a friendly environment, please let´s keep it this way, thanks!

Anyways, thank you guys for the extensive advice! I´m sure it will enhance my flying skills drastically :)
Guess I have to get rid of my "hands-off-flying-laziness" ;)
no problem at all... really

i just mentioned the fact, what is happened lately:) i asked about some "fsx addon" config file... and now it's topity about how to fly with a plane

that's it..

but one thing whitch is related to yours...

i understand that the change is the elevator trimm is done because they wanted a realistic very smooth tiny increamental set up how you controlling it... (and beside this they may be accidentaly inverted the mouse srcoll interaction) ->> this was the most important part of my topity --> how to revert it back without i have to use the old p51.air file instead the new one whitch is upgraded
(may be the gauge file is responsible too)

BUT the waaaaaaaaay slower trimm wheel is problem for me:

when i starting to land (at traffic pattern) and i setting my flaps , the plane starting to get heavy nose down attitude.. it's time to trimm..

slow trimm vs quicker

real life you can do bigger movement whit your hand.. but in front of the computer where your only interact is whit your thumb on a joy

!i told it now, it's not problem i could revert it back! so no need to solve it! only the reverted mouse scrolling what's annoying me...

and i hoped that some dev. could....:))

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”