Gear and flap problems with P-51

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
pmesmer
Senior Airman

Gear and flap problems with P-51

Post by pmesmer »

When I attempt to fly any of the P-51 aircraft, I cannot raise the flaps or gear. With the engine shut down, I go to the maintenance hangar and it says the airplane is in great shape. I start the engine and try to raise the flaps with no success. I attempt a takeoff with the flaps down. Once in the air, I cannot raise the the gear or the flaps. This is typical of all 3 aircraft.
I do not have any problems with any other aircraft on my simulator program. Any suggestions? :roll: :roll: Pete Mesmer

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Gear and flap problems with P-51

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi,

Did you push the hydraulic release valve in? It's right next to the fuel selector in front of the stick. With the engine running if you push that valve in the hydraulic pressure will build and you should be able to operate flaps and gear. Also check if the hydraulic fluid level is ok in the shift+4 menu.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Are you starting aircraft from cold dark.
If so then the aircraft has no hydrualics by default , if you look outside , you will see flaps and geardoors down.
Goback to cockpit , righthand side of center inst panel , you will find the hydrualic pressuredump red tee bar in the out position , push this in hyd gauge should be zero.
Then use shift+3 , and attach aux hydr pump , this will replenish the hydr pressure to green band , you will then hear two clunks as the geardoors close , and you can raise flaps , then disconnect aux hydr pump , hope this helps .
Regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi piper_eewl.
You just piped me with your answer.
Regards alan. 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi piper_eewl.
You just piped me with your answer.
Regards alan. 8)
Hehe. :lol: No worries this has happened to me before. And you added the bit about the auxiliary hydraulic pump that I forgot.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

pmesmer
Senior Airman

Post by pmesmer »

Hi Alan____ that solved the problem. That red T lever is misleading. It's marked as the emergency landing gear fairing door lever. :?: Anyway____ I'm back in the air again with my favorite airplane. :D WHOOPEE!!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

pmesmer wrote:Hi Alan____ that solved the problem. That red T lever is misleading. It's marked as the emergency landing gear fairing door lever. :?: Anyway____ I'm back in the air again with my favorite airplane. :D WHOOPEE!!
Actually that is the hydraulic release valve handle. Which by the way if you want to park your Mustang correctly should be pulled out after the plane is but down with the flaps lowered.

Anyways I'm glad you got it working and happy flying

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Pete, pulling the red lever is how you lower the gear if it doesn't lower by using the landing gear handle as you would do normally. The one caution is that you must put the normal landing gear handle in the "down" position to unlock the mechanical gear locks, then pull the red release handle. This releases hydraulic pressure and allows the gear to fall using its own weight. Then, if you need hydraulic pressure again to lower flaps, you need to push that handle in again to restore hydraulic pressure. Hope that makes some sense.

edit- As Sebastian points out above, push it in as part of your pre-flight, and then pull it to release hydraulic pressure as a part of your shutdown procedure.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Pete.
Glad you are back flying again, the cold dark set up for this aircraft is wrong slightly , the geardoors and flaps should be down and hyd press dumped , but handle should then be pushed in again, ready for next flight , but this handle is always out in cold dark set up, and you have to push it in as part of your pre flight checks, in order to get the hyd press , else you never get gear and flaps up.
Regards alan. 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

alan CXA651 wrote:... the cold dark set up for this aircraft is wrong slightly , the geardoors and flaps should be down and hyd press dumped , but handle should then be pushed in again...
Hi Alan,

I don't think. That it's necessarily wrong that the hydraulic release valve stays out during parking. Watch this video by Kermit Weeks on flying his P-51C.

Kermie Cam P-51C part 1

At about 4:30 you can see and hear how he pushes the hydraulic release valve in. So I'm guessing that's how the Mustangs are parked and handled in real life. Unfortunately I have no experience with the real deal :wink:

Happy flying

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I guess the starter needs less force to turn the engine if the hydraulics is off. That is why I always start my P-51's with that handle out. I never looked at the amp meter to see if there is a difference. I always start my car with clutch down for the same reason, less stuff for the starter to turn
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Tomas.
I have always pushed that handle in and attached aux hyd power to charge the hyd system , and put flaps up , prior to starting , and never had a problem starting , but thats just the sim , cannot speak for the real aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I don't think that anyone would put the flaps up via the auxiliary hydraulic pump prior to starting. I don't see the benefit of that. But I guess in the sim anyone can do as they wish :wink:
Tomas Linnet wrote:...I never looked at the amp meter to see if there is a difference...
It doesn't necessarily draw electrical power. If the hydraulic pump is directly driven by the engine (by a belt or gear like a lot of power steering systems on cars) you won't see a load on the generator/alternator. I don't know what the case is on the P-51 though!?

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Aux hyd pump is an electric pump you can hook up to the bird on the Shift+3 menu to test hydraulic stuff with the engine off. So you are correct it doesn't draw down aircraft power as it is acting as an external hydraulic genny (without all the leg work, slaving in connectings, and setting the pressure/gallons per minute properly).
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

supersym2
Airman

Post by supersym2 »

Hi !
I've an issue about that :
When i put cold and dark, I follow all the checklist to put on the engine. and when I want to move the plane stay at the same place. The flaps work well. The hydraulic pressure is ok.
If I press automatic startr up, the led of my switch panel pro fliht light on and the plane move...
The gear buttom is set with FSUIPC and it works all the time.
An idea ?

Thanks...

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”