P51 CIV ILS Need to know

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
BattleKoala
Airman

P51 CIV ILS Need to know

Post by BattleKoala »

Hi Folks,

Can any explain which switch to use for the ILS ?
Is it OMNI to get the glide slope and LOC ?
or it is LOC NORM to get the glide slope and LOC?
Whats the difference between OMNI and LOC NORM?
(I am assuming the OMNI gets the glide slope and lateral and the the LOC NORM is Lateral only, but I am having trouble confirming that)

Also, SHOULD I HAVE THE PTICH CONTROL ON to auto follow the glide slope? And if so for OMNI and for LOC NORM?

Because of the pitch control question I haven't been able to figure it out. (too many variables).

If you can help me figure it out I would be glad to make a video and post it explaining the minutiae.

Thanks in advance.
-Timmy De

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: P51 CIV ILS Need to know

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I think it’s all explained pretty well in the avionics section of the manual.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 23:14 I think it’s all explained pretty well in the avionics section of the manual.
You're correct regarding the OMNI and the LOC Norm. I guess I read past it.

What is not explained is the use of the pitch control in capturing and using the glide slope. Guess we're both guilty of bad reading comprehension. Me the LOC Norm in the manual. You the pitch / GS question. :D

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

BattleKoala wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:16
MkIV Hvd wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 23:14 I think it’s all explained pretty well in the avionics section of the manual.

What is not explained is the use of the pitch control in capturing and using the glide slope. Guess we're both guilty of bad reading comprehension. Me the LOC Norm in the manual. You the pitch / GS question. :D
Don't think so...only one of us...you must have read past this too...... :wink:

Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 21:29
BattleKoala wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:16

Don't think so...only one of us...you must have read past this too...... :wink:

Ohhh ok so the answer is yes to pitch control for GS capture because the pitch will be on when the ALT is depressed. Nothing says specifically to turn on the pitch control, it's IMPLIED :idea:
Touche!
Thanks for the back and fourth tho! I'll make sure to make a you tube video. Looking forward to feedback.
Cheers,
Timmy De

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

BattleKoala wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 23:22 Ohhh ok so the answer is yes to pitch control for GS capture because the pitch will be on when the ALT is depressed. Nothing says specifically to turn on the pitch control, it's IMPLIED :idea:
Touche!
Thanks for the back and fourth tho! I'll make sure to make a you tube video. Looking forward to feedback.
Cheers,
Timmy De
Yes, on a typical autopilot flight you'll be using the Pitch mode along with Heading or Nav tracking to control your rate of climb or descent. When you get the altitude you want, select ALT to keep it there. When intercepting an ILS you'll need to be on an intercept heading, 45°or less from the inbound localizer course (I typically use 30°) with Altitude Hold (ALT) engaged in order for the captures of the localizer and then glideslope to function correctly.

The autopilot system in this airplane is absolutely flawless...have fun!! :D
Rob Wilkinson

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Sounds like you might have this. But maybe this will help too. I made a video years ago for my squad mates. I was still learning at that point but it does walk through the AP and ILS settings. I've learned more and gotten quite a bit more familiar with the Old Girl sense. I've cued the video to bypass the startup, warm up & taxi.

Anyways, here's the video.

Cheers
Roger

EDIT: It was supposed to be cued at 15:00 but for some reason is not. Just skip to 15:00. It's a butt long video to watch the whole thing.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Well that should clear up any questions anyone has about the autopilot operation and I'm very glad to hear you have a new joystick...YIKES indeed...hahaha!!

Also, I have never seen an autopilot system that can hadle a 90° :shock: localizer intercept like this one can...I've never even thought of trying that, but have tested it on its ability to capture an altitude smoothly from a ridiculous climb rate (almost like when you forget to slow down your rate and you're still climbing at 3000 fpm when you're coming up on assigned altitude...ahem...) :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

:lol:
And thus the disclaimer... :mrgreen: I've learned much sense this. The P-51 is only ILS that I've seen that will handle the 90deg capture. I tend to give it a better advantage these days :wink: . The new computer and P3Dv4.5 makes for much better viewing as well. However, all my :oops: embarrassment :oops: of this video asside, the process to get the AP to capture the ILS is pretty much on point. I did nothing but ILS approaches for quite some time before I was able to consistently capture it. The other thing about the P-51 is that if you let it, it will actually fly you right to the ground. I've done it many times. Sometimes it will land you roughly but many times it will set you down nice and gentle.

Cheers
Roger

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Haha I'm just going to go ahead take your word on that one...and save any Autoland scenarios for my CS L1011 :wink:

As far as the video, I'm a complete newb floundering around with that process and I'm sure there's likely more to know about recording and editing video and audio than there is about learning how to fly the airplane...
Rob Wilkinson

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

WB_FlashOver wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 23:40 Sounds like you might have this. But maybe this will help too. I made a video years ago for my squad mates. I was still learning at that point but it does walk through the AP and ILS settings. I've learned more and gotten quite a bit more familiar with the Old Girl sense. I've cued the video to bypass the startup, warm up & taxi.

Anyways, here's the video.

Cheers
Roger

EDIT: It was supposed to be cued at 15:00 but for some reason is not. Just skip to 15:00. It's a butt long video to watch the whole thing.
This is perfect! Thank you so much for sharing. Great job on the right rudder control on take off by the way.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

BattleKoala wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 16:51 This is perfect! Thank you so much for sharing. Great job on the right rudder control on take off by the way.
That's music to my ears BattleKoala. I'm glad it was useful to you. I need to find a way to record now that Fraps no longer works well. I'd like to record some P3Dv4.5 on my new system. All in due time I suppose.

Cheers
Roger

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I've recently acquired GTN 650s and GTN 750s for all my A2A aircraft, and have been trying to get them to work consistently. Today the problem was a visual approach to Rwy 34 at Arlington (KAWO) in my Civ P-51. I had the airplane flying on the autopilot, at about 2,200 ft, at about 160 degrees, in HDG mode. I selected and activated a visual approach to Rwy 34 on the GTN 650. I let the airplane get way down the magenta line leading to Rwy 34, then did a quasi procedure turn to get back towards the approach line to Rwy 34. We were heading toward the approach line at about a 45 degree angle, and I switched to NAV mode on the autopilot. The airplane made a nice left turn to the magenta line leading to Rwy 34 at KAWO. Awright! I started to slow the airplane down, and dropped a notch of flaps. Right after the little "VISUAL" prompt showed on the GTN 650, I switched the autopilot to LOC NORM mode. And waited. The glideslope indicator started moving down. When it reached the middle point, the airplane captured the visual glideslope! Awright! I let her run down the visual glideslope and worked to reduce speed so I could extend the gear. She flew perfectly right down to a hunnert feet or so, when I popped the orange button on my throttle to disconnect the autopilot. A bonus: ZERO bounce on the landing!

No real dollars were harmed during this flight. But man, I sure smoked a whole lot of virtual dollars, let me tell ya!

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 15 Mar 2020, 12:19, edited 2 times in total.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

That's very cool! I didn't know that those units had that capability...another option in the approach tool bag is always a good thing!! :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”