Can't Decide Between Military or Civilian

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Can't Decide Between Military or Civilian

Post by MkIV Hvd »

colokent wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 12:21
MkIV Hvd wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 10:45
HE11DUDE04 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 10:41 Yeah I also like the ammo and bombs but from a functional pov they don't do much :lol:
Just like peeing yourself in a dark suit...it feels good, but nobody really notices...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I can't believe it....I use that quote ALL the time! And I first heard about it as a General Tommy Franks quote...

Kent
LOL I heard it years ago from an ex RCAF friend :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

The Civ is great for IFR practice or touring -- and it carries enough fuel to easily far exceed my ability to focus on one flight sim session!

I can't help but gravitate towards the Mil, though, because my very first flight sim experience was with Janes WWII Fighters and the Mil cockpit just kinda feels like home as a result. The P-47 does, too, but I've hamstrung myself by switching to P3D only for now.

For the A2A 'stang variants, it's the difference between a race horse and a work horse: they're both elegant creatures bred for distinctly different but loosely related tasks. Thus, I have and fly both! And I park 'em next to each other using WAMA. Don't get me started on how the P-40 parked up next to them is like an old but reliable base-model pickup and the Spitfire is a classic British roadster...but I digress.

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

JeffKTPF
Airman

Post by JeffKTPF »

I know I'm kind of late to the party (and I don't know if the OP has made a decision yet), but I wanted to throw my 0.02 in...

Personally, I much prefer the civilian Mustang. Part of that is sentimental (as the civilian-ized cockpit reminds me of all the Mustangs I used to poke my head into at Sun n Fun back in the '90s), but part of it is functional as well. With my preferred default view setup (with my eyepoint/zoom set up so I feel like I'm in the cockpit rather than the jump seat), the sacred-six is always visible, which makes flying a bit less taxing; with the military version, the altimeter and VSI are just out of view, which means I either have to keep physically looking down (with TrackIR) or panning down to notice changes in altitude. If you fly with your view more zoomed out (or with VR), this probably won't be an issue. I've also found the lack of gunsight in the civilian version makes it easier to maneuver with reference to the horizon as well (since I can clearly see the nose without the gun sight in the way). Finally, the inclusion of nav/com radios, GPS and related gauges makes the civilian variant ideal for flying as you would in today's world.

With that being said, if A2A ever decides to do a native MSFS version of the WWII stock Mustang, I would hope they at least provide modern nav/com radios and a removable gun sight to emulate the restored Mustangs flying today (where such things are a necessity, even if care is taken to minimize their aesthetic impact).

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”