Workout Video - The Mighty Mustang!

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Workout Video - The Mighty Mustang!

Post by MkIV Hvd »

A video of my refresher training in my Mustang. I thought it was pretty good until I went to watch it and saw the massive procedural error that I managed to draw attention to...probably 400 times... :roll:

Anyway, after much discussion with myself about whether or not I should post it as is or go for another run, I thought that even though I would have busted a checkride, it didn't affect the flight procedures so went ahead with posting. Also, I tried to re-do it three times and screwed up the narration badly within the first few minutes, so the obvious solution was to go ahead on the basis that at least it was a one shot live deal... :mrgreen:

It turns out that good live narration ain't as easy as it is made to appear by those that are really good at it.... @dreamofwings Rob - take note my friend! :wink:

I hope you enjoy it and if you can maybe find some useful information to enhance your future enjoyment of the amazing A2A Civilian Mustang, then I'll feel my job is done...for now...!! :a2a: :p3d: :a2awhite:

Cheers,
Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFeJ-yXii0

PS...if someone in the know can help me edit this so the video appears as embedded, I would be forever grateful... :wink:
EDIT: I looked back at a couple of other videos I posted and can't see any syntax mistakes or differences between those and this one, so would really appreciate the help...is it possible that it's a Chrome thing?
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Workout Video - The Mighty Mustang!

Post by Nick - A2A »

I haven't had time yet to watch it all, but looks like a great vid Rob, and good to hear your voice too.

And, ooh - it's wiiiide! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Fixed that link for ya. I just removed the URL bit which isn't needed for the YouTube tags. I also added a text only link as embedded Flash content tends to be blocked by some browsers.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Nice video, Rob. I’m very out of practice with the P-51 after months having had my nose stuck into going around the world in the T6. I’m definitely going to watch this again as a refresher when I DO get back into the Mustang.

With your experience, if you haven’t done so (or I’ve just missed it!) you should do one for the T6!👍

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

Well done, thanks for sharing, Rob.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its funny that your mistake and raw footage unlike anything of mine involves no fire and bent metal :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

First of all there better be more of this to come because this was a real treat Rob! What a great job! So much information and to see an experienced warbird pilot go through the checks, tests and manoeuvres is quite fascinating! Spot on narration too! It’s a real privilege to hear what a real warbird pilot is thinking and doing as they do their thing!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Excellent !
Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nick - A2A wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 12:02 I haven't had time yet to watch it all, but looks like a great vid Rob, and good to hear your voice too.

And, ooh - it's wiiiide! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Fixed that link for ya. I just removed the URL bit which isn't needed for the YouTube tags. I also added a text only link as embedded Flash content tends to be blocked by some browsers.
Thanks very much Nick!

Yep, I got the monitor about the same time that I started using TrackIR…great combination and I'm officially addicted to both!

Thanks for fixing the link too…I’ll remember for next time with a bit of luck :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Jacques wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 13:43 Nice video, Rob. I’m very out of practice with the P-51 after months having had my nose stuck into going around the world in the T6. I’m definitely going to watch this again as a refresher when I DO get back into the Mustang.

With your experience, if you haven’t done so (or I’ve just missed it!) you should do one for the T6!??
Thank you very much Jacques!

You haven’t missed anything and strangely I thought about doing this in the Harvard a while ago but I’ve been so infatuated with the Mustang lately that this is just the way it worked out :wink: I will definitely put that project on the to-do list, thanks for the request!

By the way, around the world in the T-6 sounds like a blast!

Cheers,
Rob
trindade wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 18:02 Well done, thanks for sharing, Rob.
You’re very welcome and thank you very much trindade!

Cheers,
Rob
Lewis - A2A wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 08:39 Its funny that your mistake and raw footage unlike anything of mine involves no fire and bent metal :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
Hahahahahaha Lewis, you are a very funny man!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Dreamsofwings wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 10:12 First of all there better be more of this to come because this was a real treat Rob! What a great job! So much information and to see an experienced warbird pilot go through the checks, tests and manoeuvres is quite fascinating! Spot on narration too! It’s a real privilege to hear what a real warbird pilot is thinking and doing as they do their thing!
Thank you so much for your feedback Rob, I really appreciate that and I’m glad you found it useful!!! I think now that I’m done tweaking and upgrading computers I will think about a couple of others … starting with the Harvard, I’m thinking :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 11:41 Excellent !
Dudley Henriques
Gosh Dudley,

Your endorsement of my flight in YOUR airplane means the world to me and I thank you so very much, Sir!!!

I am actually going to copy and paste your evaluation into my sim log :D

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 19:58
Dudley Henriques
Gosh Dudley,

Your endorsement of my flight in YOUR airplane means the world to me and I thank you so very much, Sir!!!

Cheers,
Rob
The film was very well done. The only thing I noticed that piqued any special attention was with the engine shutdown.
There was a changeover somewhere during the D block run from North American concerning throttle application on shutdown. The early Merlins suggested going into ICO then advancing the throttle below 700RPM. Later on, when the Simmons Regulators came on line the shutdown procedure changed to NOT advancing the throttle at all after ICO. I can't remember if this was due to the Simmons or the spark advance. On our -7 Merlin I never advanced the throttle after ICO and had no start issues on the next start. I never had a runaway engine.
I can't remember if we coded the Simmons into our A2A 51. If you are not having restart issues I'd say the way you are doing things at shutdown is fine.
D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 23:31
MkIV Hvd wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 19:58
Dudley Henriques
Gosh Dudley,

Cheers,
Rob
The film was very well done. The only thing I noticed that piqued any special attention was with the engine shutdown.
There was a changeover during the D block run from North American concerning throttle application on shutdown. The early Merlins suggested going into ICO then advancing the throttle below 700 RPM. Later on, when the Simmons Regulators came on line the shutdown procedure changed to NOT advancing the throttle at all after ICO. On our -7 Merlin I never advanced the throttle after ICO and had no start issues on the next start. I never had a runaway engine.
I can't remember if we coded the Simmons into our A2A 51. If you are not having restart issues I'd say the way you are doing things at shutdown is fine.
D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7ssTh ... sp=sharing

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 00:04 The film was very well done. The only thing I noticed that piqued any special attention was with the engine shutdown.
There was a changeover during the D block run from North American concerning throttle application on shutdown. The early Merlins suggested going into ICO then advancing the throttle below 700 RPM. Later on, when the Simmons Regulators came on line the shutdown procedure changed to NOT advancing the throttle at all after ICO. On our -7 Merlin I never advanced the throttle after ICO and had no start issues on the next start. I never had a runaway engine.
D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7ssTh ... sp=sharing
Well if that's the only thing that piqued your interest in the whole session, I am extremely pleased and quite frankly a bit surprised 8)

I can't remember where I read that at the moment, but it sounds as if it may have been in one of the earlier real world manuals I read. If I don't have to do that anymore it will save me a bunch of bucks on gate wires... :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks again and have a great day Sir!

Cheers,
Rob

p.s. I sent an email request for access to the file at the link above :)
Rob Wilkinson

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 08:24

p.s. I sent an email request for access to the file at the link above :)
I changed the access for you. Should be ok now.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 10:06 I changed the access for you. Should be ok now.
Thanks again Dudley!

I have officially removed that procedure from my SOPs and will make a note on this video and give it mention in a future episode 8)

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 11:08
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 27 Nov 2020, 10:06 I changed the access for you. Should be ok now.
Thanks again Dudley!

I have officially removed that procedure from my SOPs and will make a note on this video and give it mention in a future episode 8)

Cheers,
Rob
Upon further research, I am reducing my level of responsibility for the wrong start procedure from 100% to roughly 0%...below is a snip of page 60 in the P3Dv5 Civilian Mustang Manual ... :wink:

I'm sure an update for the manual will be forthcoming, as there's probably not much else for the A2A programmers to do at the moment...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”