How to have Civ Autopilot perform RNAV Approach

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Bingo41
Airman

How to have Civ Autopilot perform RNAV Approach

Post by Bingo41 »

What I don't understand, is how do I get the Autopilot to drive the HSI and fly the Civilian P-51 down the RNAV GPS Glide Path?

I have the rotary switch set to NAV, and the Garmin Flt1 GTN 650 set to GPS, but the HSI does not track the horizontal. However, it does show the vertical path deviation with a carat?

Either this plane has to be flown manually down the vertical and horizontal path, or I am doing something wrong, because I am expecting the autopilot to take control and automatically fly the plane down the glide path?

Does the Civ P-51 handle WAAS approaches, in addition to standard RNAV approaches?

I will try out the ILS capability later.

Bill Clark

Bingo41
Airman

Re: How to have Civ Autopilot perform RNAV Approach

Post by Bingo41 »

I fixed the problem with my HSI as it now tracks the horizontal path on the GTN650.

In using the ILS functions, the A/C tracks the horizontal path over the ground, and the autopilot flies the plane down the vertical G/S path perfectly. ILS works great!

When I attempt to fly an RNAV approach, the Autopilot tracks the horizontal path via the HSI, but it does not manage the vertical path at all.

I would have to conclude that this Autopilot system does not fully support RNAV in the vertical axis, (would have to fly descent manually using the pitch wheel), or else I am doing something wrong? It could be the Autopilot switches are not set correctly?

However, I have not yet been able to find one single video describing how to fly an RNAV procedure? If anyone knows of one, please send me a link?

Is there an A2A forum moderator who could confirm if the Civ P-51 Autopilot is, or is not, capable of flying both vertical and horizontal RNAV approach?

Bill Clark

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”