Primer location.

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
P40 Master
Airman

Primer location.

Post by P40 Master »

I'm wondering where the primer shot is actually sent on the engine, is it directly to the cylinders or into the intake manifold. I'm struggling to start the beast when it's close to freezing.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Primer location.

Post by ratty »

P40 Master wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 09:13 I'm wondering where the primer shot is actually sent on the engine, is it directly to the cylinders or into the intake manifold. I'm struggling to start the beast when it's close to freezing.
Don't know. I can tell you that flying out of Barrow, Alaska at a temp of -16C, it took 12 seconds of prime to get her to start.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

P40 Master wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 09:13 I'm wondering where the primer shot is actually sent on the engine, is it directly to the cylinders or into the intake manifold. I'm struggling to start the beast when it's close to freezing.
As I recall the electric primer when actuated sends a direct shot of fuel under pressure directly into the induction manifold.
VERY easy to over prime a P51. Generally you only need a few seconds.
Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I'm sure so Dudley!

The very early Spitfires had the option to prime the cylinders directly or the Carby.
Cylinders turned out to be a spectacularly bad idea and after a series of engine fires the Primer Cock to make the selection was first wired off, its use banned and soon after removed altogether. I can't imagine that they went backwards on the 1650/266!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 21:32 I'm sure so Dudley!

The very early Spitfires had the option to prime the cylinders directly or the Carby.
Cylinders turned out to be a spectacularly bad idea and after a series of engine fires the Primer Cock to make the selection was first wired off, its use banned and soon after removed altogether. I can't imagine that they went backwards on the 1650/266!
Every time I see one of those images of either a Spit or a 51 starting with flames coming out of every stack and wrapping all the way around the cowling I always enter a comment;
" As God is my judge.............I shall have more primer.............MORE I SAY"!

LOL. :-)))))))))

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 21:48
" As God is my judge.............I shall have more primer.............MORE I SAY"!

LOL. :-)))))))))
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

P40 Master
Airman

Post by P40 Master »

Thanks alot for the information, I'll try the longer primer shot. Currently - 6 c. Having no joy at all

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

A little trick….
Make sure the battery is charged.
Set everything up for a normal start according to the check list, but skip the priming step.
After counting the blades turn on the primer and flick mags to both. I’ve used this method several times when flying in cold weather
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”