Starting P-51D Help !!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Scuddy
Airman First Class

Starting P-51D Help !!

Post by Scuddy »

Hello guys :)

After 8 hours my P-51D has now got an engine issue. I can no longer start her :( I have read the manual again and again and cant figure it out.
At first I thought I over primed but nope not the issue at all. I have checked the maintenance hanger and fixed the starter but nothing else. I don't like to do this but I overhauled the Aircraft and still don't work. I have now Auto started the engine but to me I don't feel like a pilot at all. It makes a very high squeaky noise. I can 85% say the issue is me lol :) If anyone can help It would be very greatly appreciated.

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Starting P-51D Help !!

Post by JoeS475 »

My most common cause for a failed start is forgetting to open the throttle.

Joe
Joe

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Hi Joe,

I always crack it :/ cant figure it out.

"scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This could be a corrupt flight. Start a new flight with a different aircraft, then switch to the P-51.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Ok thanks Scott will try that :)

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

When you say won't start you mean won't fire or won't turn over? If it's turning over then the starter isn't the problem. If the fix Scott suggested doesn't work, try to be more specific on what the engine does when you try to turn it over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

The P51-D instructional video on this site might well be the ticket to get you going. It is very thorough. Watch it..rewind where you are unclear. Have you checked your fuel levels especially the left tank? If it's a dead battery use the shift - 3 for the GPU assist that will get you going and you can charge the onboard battery as you sail through the skies.

To start the P51-D w/Accusim the way that works for me and is basically in accordance with recommended procedure.This is all done within the VC and assumes a cold engine. This is my way and it may not be everyone's way - OK?

(1) Turn on the main power switch. Check fuel tank(s) levels.

(2) Set mixture to idle cut-off (all the way aft.)

(3) Advance the throttle about 1/4 to 1/3 or so (a rough visual adjustment) it' not so very critical... (but get ready to reduce it once the engine is finally running on it's own.)

(4) Turn on Fuel Booster - then Prime for 8 - 10 seconds. Not 4 seconds.
(5) Hit the starter and let it crank '6 blades' for proper pre-start engine lube.

(6) Turn on both magnetos. It should start to catch and shake the VC like crazy..so cool! Stay calm.

(7)Then to keep it from dying I usually hit the prime again for a couple seconds (like in the instructional video) and that sweet sounding V 12 Merlin starts singing to me. I can almost hear it now as I type.

(8) Immediately slide the mixture forward (away from the pilot) to the run position just to where the spring-loaded 'clip' rests against it's stop. That can be a little tricky to see and do- it's about 1/4 of full forward. Mixture adjustment here NOT throttle. The rpm will then go up significantly and watch the oil pressure.

(9) Keep the rpm down using the throttle to where the oil pressure is less than 200 psi..around 125 during warm-up about 800 rpm.

(10) Turn starter switch to OFF to prevent the starter from auto-cranking again after you land and shutdown the engine (saves on battery) Fuel Booster can stay ON and patiently wait till oil pressure and oil temp are 'in the green'

(11) Best part so far..open the canopy and enjoy the V12 symphony and the shake of the virtual cockpit. It's a beautiful sounding thing!

(12) After a few minutes warm-up (5 or 6) taxi out and line-up RTO.

Note: Steps 6, 7, 8 and 9 should all completed within a few seconds or one risks the engine dying. It can be a 'busy time' BUT once you have it mastered you'll be proud you did so. And you can impress all your unrealistic CTRL-E sim buddies!! :P
Last edited by CharlieP51 on 27 Oct 2012, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Charlie I know you're trying to help, but I think he knows how to start it. He's been successfully been starting it for at least 4 or 5 flights now. The issue is jow hat it is wearing something is causing a problem whether a broken flight file, part, or minor procedure. Let's give him a chance to rule out that its not a sofware glitch and report back in more detail if not before putting up the FAQ standard response.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

CAPFlyer wrote:Charlie I know you're trying to help, but I think he knows how to start it. He's been successfully been starting it for at least 4 or 5 flights now. The issue is jow hat it is wearing something is causing a problem whether a broken flight file, part, or minor procedure. Let's give him a chance to rule out that its not a sofware glitch and report back in more detail if not before putting up the FAQ standard response.

Sorry I tried to help. My mistake. Next time I'll just check with you first. OK?? :(
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

nick0857
Airman

Post by nick0857 »

CAPFlyer wrote:Charlie I know you're trying to help, but I think he knows how to start it. He's been successfully been starting it for at least 4 or 5 flights now. The issue is jow hat it is wearing something is causing a problem whether a broken flight file, part, or minor procedure. Let's give him a chance to rule out that its not a sofware glitch and report back in more detail if not before putting up the FAQ standard response.

Even if that's not the case, I'm sure there could be many users to come who would be drawn to the title of "Starting P-51D Help!!" and a step-by-step checklist is just what they need. Yes, the manual and many videos state the same thing but everyone explains things differently and I think Charlie did a very well written and concise job at that.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

nick0857 wrote:

Even if that's not the case, I'm sure there could be many users to come who would be drawn to the title of "Starting P-51D Help!!" and a step-by-step checklist is just what they need. Yes, the manual and many videos state the same thing but everyone explains things differently and I think Charlie did a very well written and concise job at that.

I'll send you that $100 like we agreed on beforehand - OK? Ofcourse I jest! I trust some other P-51 flyers will get thier engines going from that post. Before i quit my electrical engineering position in 2002 to hit the road with my guitar and play music, one of my tasks besides microwave circuit design was to compose test procedures for the production technicians to follow. Never regretted taking that permanent pay-cut to play music as it's still my avocation (performing live music) and am enjoying a year's worth of R & R right here in Sin City , Nevada. Yes life IS good. Best part? No more alarm clocks!!

ImageImage
Image Image

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Hey guys,

first of all I thank you very much for all your kind support though my issue (Scott - A2A, JoeS475, CAPFlyer, CharlieP51 and of course nick0857)
I have no figured out the issue days ago but i have been busy with work on the weekend. It was a hardware issue that stopped my x52 pro fully working. Also had a bug somehow which I am still puzzled about. At the end of the day it works been up for a test flight today and will share the link later for you guys to see :)

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Ok you know what it turns out it didn't work. She wont turn over I am getting really impatient. i might have to re-install but shouldn't have to do that.

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

When you say not turning over do you mean the prop isn't turning when you engage the starter or it is not making combustion?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Reinstall is the last resort.
First thing, like Scott says, start a new flight with the Trike at your favorite airport. Then switch to the P51.
The 51 should be shut down in a cold condition. Power up and start like you would always do.
If no go, do you have any programs like FSUIPC controlling things? If so, disable them.
Also if you are having problems with the X52, unplug it for now.
See if any of this helps.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”