Starting P-51D Help !!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Scuddy
Airman First Class

Re: Starting P-51D Help !!

Post by Scuddy »

Hey guys:)

Well yes the prop isn't turning when you engage the starter :/ I have gone through all the starting procedures. I will try your suggestion robert41 and see if it works.
I am getting fed up of this I cant press Auto start as its just no point in buying the product lol. Will get back to you asap after I tried suggestions.

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Hey guys :)

Well I followed your advice and something worked. I have just tested it once so I shall take her up for a pattern around the field a few times and hope it continues. Thanks for you help fellas :D
Happy chap again looking forward to next flight.

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

nick0857
Airman

Post by nick0857 »

Scuddy wrote:Hey guys :)

Well I followed your advice and something worked. I have just tested it once so I shall take her up for a pattern around the field a few times and hope it continues. Thanks for you help fellas :D
Happy chap again looking forward to next flight.

"Scuddy"
Sure glad to hear that mate! Safe skies :)

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Thanks nick0857 :D

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Glad you are now flying. Enjoy.

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

Glad you got it started OK..Once you determine what that "something ' was that worked please remember if you will, to post what was that 'something that worked' was - it still feels we are all still in the dark as to your resolution. Happy skies to ALL
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

wrmiller19
Airman

Post by wrmiller19 »

Hello guys, new guy to the A2A P51, and had a similar situation.

Unfortunately, I also cannot tell you exactly what worked. I changed planes, exited and re-entered FSX, re-booted my machine, etc., etc.. Even went into the maint hanger and cleaned her up real good. Anyway, wasn't sure how to start manually at that time, so hit autostart and it worked! Prior to that I always had FSX start lined up with the engine running.

Haven't had a problem since then. Weird huh?

Oh, and a really big thank you to the gentleman who wrote the start-up procedure early in this thread. Didn't think to re-hit the prime switch as she caught... :roll:

Update: I did it again, in that the prop refused to turn, and autostart wouldn't work either. This after trying to keep the engine running after it fouled due to too low rpm. As a last resort I went into the hanger (shift-7?) and hit overhaul.

Fired up after that, so I must have broke something. :oops:

BurtAugust
Airman

Post by BurtAugust »

I do one thing different in my startup SOP;
After the engine is started I turn the fuel boost pump off. That way I can be sure I am getting fuel pressure from the main engine driven pump. If that pump failed prior to takeoff and the fuel boost pump was on this failure may not be noticed. Not sure the implications or whether full power could be had running only on the boost pump but I don't want to find out halfway through the takeoff run. I do turn the boost pump on prior to takeoff and turn it back off after my initial climbout.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Scuddy

If the engine cranks but will not fire:

I know this may sound dumb; however, where is your fuel selector when starting the engine? I could not get my engine to start either, until I found the fuel selector on the fuselage tank and the tank was empty! In other words, make sure the tank your starting on has fuel in it. I found that if I burn all the fuel out of the fuselage tank, the next time I fly the P-51 the fuselage tank is still empty. I hope your problem is as simple as this.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :oops:

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

One thing I learned flying sims since the Falcon 4.0 was released - always keep a checklist close by, and every other start-up go by the book, with the checklist in hand. Doesn't matter how many times you go through the procedures, there are times you might forget the basics (like turning on the magnetos :oops: ). The fact that some of us go all over the board, flying on many different aircraft, sometimes even on the same day. It's not uncommon for me to fly F-16, P-51, Spitfire, P-40, Bf109, SF.260, Bell 206, SE.5a all in one evening in 5 different sims ;)

And then I try to figure out why that darned UHF is in backup mode before a practice bomb mission from Kadena AB in BMS 4.32 :wink:
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Sundowner wrote: And then I try to figure out why that darned UHF is in backup mode before a practice bomb mission from Kadena AB in BMS 4.32 :wink:

I hear that!!!

(or why the Hydrazine is depleting after getting interupted by the phone during the EPU check......) :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

MuleRdr
Airman Basic

Post by MuleRdr »

Hey Charlie... You helped me! Can you help me with the hydraulic pressure. The aux hydraulic pump makes the gauge bounce around 30 to 90 psi and never build beyond that. Every thing is good in the hanger. By the way, I'm very new at the 51. I think I've only had two successful starts in a couple of weeks on it.

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

This

Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

MuleRdr wrote:Hey Charlie... You helped me! Can you help me with the hydraulic pressure. The aux hydraulic pump makes the gauge bounce around 30 to 90 psi and never build beyond that. Every thing is good in the hanger. By the way, I'm very new at the 51. I think I've only had two successful starts in a couple of weeks on it.
Happy it helped you out. I can't duplicate your hydraulic issues here..nor am I so sure I understand them totally.

B U T --> to help on P51 starts crack the throttle off the stop about 1/4 to 1/3 full...mixture full aft...increase the prime time from 4-6 seconds to a full 10 seconds (I count 'chimpanzees') crank 6 props and hit the mags..fires every time...set mixture forward to 'Run' -- watch the oil pressure and temp..have FUN!!
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

To come back on the starting issue. I had a few times som trouble starting up the mustang. Then i looked at my weather settings. It turned out to be
-16°C, i already used the winter oil so 1080mPa*s of viscosity. The airfield was at an altitude of 4500ft.
But it had quiete some difficulties to start, actually didnt want to unless i used the auto start possibility (even with the AGP/ external power unit connected). So i raised the temperature to 5°C it had some difficlties to strt, which i like to be hounest, gives some feel that it is a "living" machine.

So how does that work in real life in winter conditions? nowadays i am sure you do not park the mustang outside but in the hanger. But lets say in wwII the hangers/shelters were not heated. is there a trick i dont know? i know the oil dilute procedure before you shut down the engine during the previous flight and i applied it during the landing and taxiing to the parking, assuming this would help to start the engine next time.

kind regarsd,

Meso

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”