Rudder on P3D Civ Mustang

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Rudder on P3D Civ Mustang

Post by Paughco »

Guys: I notice considerably less authority in tailwheel steering with the new P3D P-51 Mustang relative to that available in the P3D T-6 Texan.

For example: In the T-6, with the stick back, which locks the tailwheel to the 6 degree steering, I can s-turn effectively and even steer the airplane through the typical 90 degree taxiway turn. On the landing rollout, once I get the tailwheel of the T-6 down, and get her slowed somewhat, I can keep her on the centerline (well, out of the weeds, anyway :) ) with the stick back and the rudder pedals.

My P-51 Mustang is a different story: The only way I can s-turn my Mustang while taxiing is to put the stick forward and kick the rudder and use light differential braking. No way can she negotiate the typical 90 degree taxiway turn with the stick held back and tail wheel "steering." On the landing rollout there seems to be way less connection to the rudder and the tailwheel.

Is this the way the real airplane behaves? While I realize we're striving for realism here, I'd hate for you guys to make the Mustang as squirrely as the T-6 in a future update!

My equipment and settings are the same for both aircraft: P3Dv4.3, Thrustmaster T.16000 stick and Thrustmaster rudder pedals. No special rudder pedal functions are assigned to either aircraft in their respective A2A configurators, and I don't have FSPUIC.

Meanwhile, I gotta say, this Mustang is the ultimate flight sim aircraft, truly the Cadillac of the sky! Thank you!

Seeya
ATB

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Re: Rudder on P3D Civ Mustang

Post by wothan »

Paughco wrote:Guys: I notice considerably less authority in tailwheel steering with the new P3D P-51 Mustang relative to that available in the P3D T-6 Texan.

For example: In the T-6, with the stick back, which locks the tailwheel to the 6 degree steering, I can s-turn effectively and even steer the airplane through the typical 90 degree taxiway turn. On the landing rollout, once I get the tailwheel of the T-6 down, and get her slowed somewhat, I can keep her on the centerline (well, out of the weeds, anyway :) ) with the stick back and the rudder pedals.

My P-51 Mustang is a different story: The only way I can s-turn my Mustang while taxiing is to put the stick forward and kick the rudder and use light differential braking. No way can she negotiate the typical 90 degree taxiway turn with the stick held back and tail wheel "steering." On the landing rollout there seems to be way less connection to the rudder and the tailwheel.

Is this the way the real airplane behaves? While I realize we're striving for realism here, I'd hate for you guys to make the Mustang as squirrely as the T-6 in a future update!

My equipment and settings are the same for both aircraft: P3Dv4.3, Thrustmaster T.16000 stick and Thrustmaster rudder pedals. No special rudder pedal functions are assigned to either aircraft in their respective A2A configurators, and I don't have FSPUIC.

Meanwhile, I gotta say, this Mustang is the ultimate flight sim aircraft, truly the Cadillac of the sky! Thank you!

Seeya
ATB
It´s a long time since I flew the P-52D in FSX, but I also cannot remember it to have so little tailwheel / rudder authority when taxiing. Maybe DCS spoiled me.
Note that my findings are on the military P-51D !

FinnJ
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The Mustang has a 12 degree arc with the stick aft of neutral. The 6 has a 15 degree arc.
The 6 is fairly quick with lateral directional change when rudder is applied. The 51 has a slight lag, so you are always behind the 51 a bit and have to anticipate this by leading with the rudder.
Don't forget, the 51 is almost twice the GW of the T6 on the ground.
I always found the T6, (we flew both the G and the SNJ5) to be much more responsive taxiing than the Mustang.
When we did the Mustang here at A2A, Scott and I worked hard on getting it right and that lag was built into the flight model by the team. Personally I find it VERY close to the real thing if that helps.
Also, when taxiing the Mustang, don't hesitate to go forward on the stick to make any turn on a taxiway other than your normal S turns. That's normal.
Dudley Henriques

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you Dudley, you have answered my question. I just completed some miscellaneous taxiing, along with a few takeoffs and landings (same number!) in my Mustang, and she behaves exactly as you describe. I am now even more satisfied with this magnificent beast, if that is possible. Oh man - what an airplane!

Bad Grandpa strikes again!

Thank you
ATB

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Great. Glad I could help. Enjoy the Mustang !
DH

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

All A2A WOP combat aircraft with the sole exception of the T-6 (which incorporates new software technology) are subject to the normal inherent FSX/P3D flight modeling limitations, especially in terms of ground handling. For this reason alone, I personally refuse to fly anything other than A2A's T-6 in the sim. Perhaps at some point A2A will revisit the older WOP series like the P-51 and reverse engineer the latest Accusim technology to the aircraft models. Again, the T-6 is wonderful, but I just don't have the patience to put up with the P-51, P-40, ect. skidding across the pavement like a sled in a crosswind. Free advice? Download DCS world (for free) and fly the P-51B that comes with the free aircraft package. Set up your controller properly and have a go at it. This is how the real aircraft flies when it's not hobbled by FSX technology. :wink:

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Yeah, I guess all those old-school A2A warbirds are just out of step. Not worth flying.

What? Wait a minute, somebody out there disagrees? Robin Takolander, uploader of many great YouTube flight sim videos, has this to say about the A2A Spitfire (same generation technology as the P-40 and P-51, I believe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvB_jXygs1U.

Seeya
ATB

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Paughco wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 18:41 Yeah, I guess all those old-school A2A warbirds are just out of step. Not worth flying.

What? Wait a minute, somebody out there disagrees? Robin Takolander, uploader of many great YouTube flight sim videos, has this to say about the A2A Spitfire (same generation technology as the P-40 and P-51, I believe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvB_jXygs1U.

Seeya
ATB
Well, Robin and I definitely agree about the FSX/P3D platform, I will say that. But yah, the A2A T-6 spoiled me so bad I can go back to the older stuff anymore. I would give my right arm to have a go at A2A's recent X-Plane 11 rendition of the Spitfire though!!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hobart Escin wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 21:23 Well, Robin and I definitely agree about the FSX/P3D platform, I will say that. But yah, the A2A T-6 spoiled me so bad I can go back to the older stuff anymore. I would give my right arm to have a go at A2A's recent X-Plane 11 rendition of the Spitfire though!!!
The P3Dv4 warbirds and the Spitfire in particular where updated a while back in accordance with the Spit test flight program we held at Boultbee. The Spitfire received an overhaul in some places but otherwise passed the tests in being able to be used as a pilot trainer. Remember hard does not equal real. Hard just equals hard. No more, no less.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

I thought I had a rudder problem until I realized I had the control lock on. There was enough wiggle room to taxi with differential braking but certainly not to take off with. Definitely a "duh" moment

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”