Problems with Military P-51D

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
sdflyguy437
Airman

Problems with Military P-51D

Post by sdflyguy437 »

So this is the 4th attempt to post re problems with your Military P-51D. I thought you should know about my sim system, my qualifications, My impressions of the P-51 and accu-sim software, and my suggestions for improvement in these 2 programs. Also appended is a request for refund if they are unable to be fixed and usable on my system and an offer to assist in any improvement process.
>
> My system : P3Dv4.5 running on gaming computer with i9 quad core and Nvidia 2080 video card. I use many pieces of add-on equipment including Precision Flight Controls SAAB Flight yoke, rudder pedals, and 2 throttle quadrants (ie: 12 throttle axes) calibrated using FSUIPC and PFC drivers , Redbird TH1 throttle calibrated with FSUIPC, 21
> GoFlight modules including EFIS and autopilot programmed with FSUIPC and GF/Polypot drivers, 27 switches connected via proprietary “greenboard” hardware and software and in some cases via FSUIPC, and 3 large screen 4k monitors. Next week I will install a second video card and three more small monitor to complete my Boeing 737. cockpit. I currently have over 200 aircraft models on ost of which I have modified aerodynamics to more closely represent real world aerodynamics.
>
>
>
> My qualifications: I started real world flying at 14 years old. I hold Private, Commercial, Instrument licenses in the US and Sailplanes license in US and Switzerland. I have all but check ride training in single engine float planes. I have flown aircraft ranging from the Piper J-3 to twin turboprops. I also have limited time in the older T-6 Texan ( recip engine), C-47, T-33, Champion, Piper Twin Comanche, and Stearman PT-16. However, I do not have a current Medical. In 2004 I was diagnosed with a cancer that the FAA deemed not compatible with pilot operations and from then on I have only flown with a CFI or CFII in the cockpit with me. When I quit pilot-in-command flying in 2004 I changed over to Flight simming as my major aviation interest. I manage 2 flight simulators at Ellsworth Air Force Base for the Civil Air Patrol, an F-16 simulator which I build and operate for public use (with a sim pilot present at all flight times) at the SD Air and Space Museum, and my home simulator as detailed above. I realized that Flight simimming is a great “procedure “ trainer which allows new procedures to be practiced and emergency (system failures) procedures to be experienced without risk to pilot or machine. I would also point out that Flight simming is a poor flight instruction modality because no simulator can recreate the three dimensional forces which are so accurately perceived by the human semi-circular canal/ocular vision/body proprioception systems and which allow us all walk, maintain balance, and fly airplanes (to some degree). This may be why the B-1 simulators here at Ellsworth no longer use the pitch and roll motion modalities. My airline friends tell me that many major airline simulator departments are also no longer using the motions portion of their simulators. By the way, I am a retired Emeritus Professor at the USD School of Medicine and Aero-Space Education Officer for Rushmore Squadron, Civil Air Patrol based at Ellsworth AFB, and Adj. Aero-space Education Officer for South Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol. My interests are aviation and education/learning processes.
>
>
>
> My impression of the A2A Military P-51D and Accu-sim: The only positive attribute I found in Accu-sim is the “wheel squeak” upon l;anding - -and that can be implemented easier and at no cost with online readily available sound files. You should not be charging money for freely available sounds. When I was using Accu-sim ( before I deleted it) I shut all other sounds off. Better sounds are readily available on Flightsim.com and other flight sim web sites. The motion based attributes of Accu-sim fail because, as explained above, no simulator learning platform can simulate inertial and gravitational forces. The motion/attitude/velocity changes pilots experience are the product of forces which can only be experienced and can never be accurately simulated. Motion sickness (automobile or aircraft) is a case in point. When the signals sent from the optic, sensory motor, and acoustical semi-circular canal system do not agree with our life experiences of “normal” motion, we experience nausea and/or emesis. You can simulate an aircraft swerving down the runway visually in a flight simulator but you can never recreate the semi-circular canal signals without actually moving a very large (earth sized) gravitational field [ NOTE: this is called “flying” ] and this is why even the three degree of motion professional simulators do not give an accurate sensation of flight. If Eyes Ear canals, and Body position could be accurately stimulated in a simulator, the multimillion dollar simulators would be using it. Accu-sim is doomed to failure, I am afraid.
>
> My impression of the P-51D is only a bit better. You have created a beautiful visual model and cockpit environment. That having been said, I find your aerodynamic model is little better (perhaps worse) than the run of the mill aircraft aerodynamic model. It is difficult to taxi, almost impossible to manage on the takeoff run, and consistently crashes. Thank goodness the real WW2 Mustang did not fly this poorly. Many WW 2 pilots had far less flight instruction than I and other civilian pilots of today have. And worse yet, you compound this error by making it difficult to correct these errors. I suspect that many parameters could be easily changed to make your aircraft fly like it was a simulation of a real airplane however I have run into an occasional aerodynamic model so flawed that it can not be corrected. Then, to compound the issues, you have added the “repair shop”. “ You can’t learn immediately from your errors flying the model, you must wait and take it to the “repair shop” How juvenile! You have reduced “simulation” to “child’s game” – and from a child psychology standpoint, a frustrating non-educational one at that. Sorry to be so harsh, but all my life long experience in aviation, teaching, learning, and child psychology cringes at the basic concept and execution of this program.
>
>
>
> My Suggestions: 1) take Accu-sim off the market – it is beneath your organization and mocks the beautiful visual model you have created in the Military P-51. 2) Delete the “damage and repair” programing from within the aircraft files themselves. It, too, is beneath the stature of your organization. It only illustrates to the world that you can program beautiful 3-D models but know little of the realities of aviation physiology and the limitations and strengths of flight simulation. You can do better. In fact anyone with knowledge of the Aircraft.cfg and *.air files can do better. Harsh but fair criticism.
>
>
>
> Therefore: Because I view your Military P-51 as untenable as a simulator aircraft and the Accu-sim as superfluous, I have deleted them from my flight sim system and will not reinstall them in the future. I request that you refund my purchase price as outlined below in my previous email to you. My professional position and stature at this time should assure you that I will never reinstall your software without paying for it in advance. If you wish me to assist you with correcting your aerodynamics for this aircraft, I would be happy to do so for no reimbursement or fee of any kind. Moreover, I would stipulate that you would remain the sole owner of all rights and future earnings from said product. You would need to provide me with a copy of the complete Military P-51D package with the damage and repair routines removed. If I can correct it, I would of course, remit to you the price of the Military P-51D package as of this date if I can retain it for my person use only.
>
>
>
> Please feel free to communicate you thoughts regarding the above. An honest and open dialogue is always more fruitful for all concerned.
>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Problems with Military P-51D

Post by DHenriques_ »

sdflyguy437 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:47 So this is the 4th attempt to post re problems with your Military P-51D. I thought you should know about my sim system, my qualifications, My impressions of the P-51 and accu-sim software, and my suggestions for improvement in these 2 programs. Also appended is a request for refund if they are unable to be fixed and usable on my system and an offer to assist in any improvement process.
>
> My system : P3Dv4.5 running on gaming computer with i9 quad core and Nvidia 2080 video card. I use many pieces of add-on equipment including Precision Flight Controls SAAB Flight yoke, rudder pedals, and 2 throttle quadrants (ie: 12 throttle axes) calibrated using FSUIPC and PFC drivers , Redbird TH1 throttle calibrated with FSUIPC, 21
> GoFlight modules including EFIS and autopilot programmed with FSUIPC and GF/Polypot drivers, 27 switches connected via proprietary “greenboard” hardware and software and in some cases via FSUIPC, and 3 large screen 4k monitors. Next week I will install a second video card and three more small monitor to complete my Boeing 737. cockpit. I currently have over 200 aircraft models on ost of which I have modified aerodynamics to more closely represent real world aerodynamics.
>
>
>
> My qualifications: I started real world flying at 14 years old. I hold Private, Commercial, Instrument licenses in the US and Sailplanes license in US and Switzerland. I have all but check ride training in single engine float planes. I have flown aircraft ranging from the Piper J-3 to twin turboprops. I also have limited time in the older T-6 Texan ( recip engine), C-47, T-33, Champion, Piper Twin Comanche, and Stearman PT-16. However, I do not have a current Medical. In 2004 I was diagnosed with a cancer that the FAA deemed not compatible with pilot operations and from then on I have only flown with a CFI or CFII in the cockpit with me. When I quit pilot-in-command flying in 2004 I changed over to Flight simming as my major aviation interest. I manage 2 flight simulators at Ellsworth Air Force Base for the Civil Air Patrol, an F-16 simulator which I build and operate for public use (with a sim pilot present at all flight times) at the SD Air and Space Museum, and my home simulator as detailed above. I realized that Flight simimming is a great “procedure “ trainer which allows new procedures to be practiced and emergency (system failures) procedures to be experienced without risk to pilot or machine. I would also point out that Flight simming is a poor flight instruction modality because no simulator can recreate the three dimensional forces which are so accurately perceived by the human semi-circular canal/ocular vision/body proprioception systems and which allow us all walk, maintain balance, and fly airplanes (to some degree). This may be why the B-1 simulators here at Ellsworth no longer use the pitch and roll motion modalities. My airline friends tell me that many major airline simulator departments are also no longer using the motions portion of their simulators. By the way, I am a retired Emeritus Professor at the USD School of Medicine and Aero-Space Education Officer for Rushmore Squadron, Civil Air Patrol based at Ellsworth AFB, and Adj. Aero-space Education Officer for South Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol. My interests are aviation and education/learning processes.
>
>
>
> My impression of the A2A Military P-51D and Accu-sim: The only positive attribute I found in Accu-sim is the “wheel squeak” upon l;anding - -and that can be implemented easier and at no cost with online readily available sound files. You should not be charging money for freely available sounds. When I was using Accu-sim ( before I deleted it) I shut all other sounds off. Better sounds are readily available on Flightsim.com and other flight sim web sites. The motion based attributes of Accu-sim fail because, as explained above, no simulator learning platform can simulate inertial and gravitational forces. The motion/attitude/velocity changes pilots experience are the product of forces which can only be experienced and can never be accurately simulated. Motion sickness (automobile or aircraft) is a case in point. When the signals sent from the optic, sensory motor, and acoustical semi-circular canal system do not agree with our life experiences of “normal” motion, we experience nausea and/or emesis. You can simulate an aircraft swerving down the runway visually in a flight simulator but you can never recreate the semi-circular canal signals without actually moving a very large (earth sized) gravitational field [ NOTE: this is called “flying” ] and this is why even the three degree of motion professional simulators do not give an accurate sensation of flight. If Eyes Ear canals, and Body position could be accurately stimulated in a simulator, the multimillion dollar simulators would be using it. Accu-sim is doomed to failure, I am afraid.
>
> My impression of the P-51D is only a bit better. You have created a beautiful visual model and cockpit environment. That having been said, I find your aerodynamic model is little better (perhaps worse) than the run of the mill aircraft aerodynamic model. It is difficult to taxi, almost impossible to manage on the takeoff run, and consistently crashes. Thank goodness the real WW2 Mustang did not fly this poorly. Many WW 2 pilots had far less flight instruction than I and other civilian pilots of today have. And worse yet, you compound this error by making it difficult to correct these errors. I suspect that many parameters could be easily changed to make your aircraft fly like it was a simulation of a real airplane however I have run into an occasional aerodynamic model so flawed that it can not be corrected. Then, to compound the issues, you have added the “repair shop”. “ You can’t learn immediately from your errors flying the model, you must wait and take it to the “repair shop” How juvenile! You have reduced “simulation” to “child’s game” – and from a child psychology standpoint, a frustrating non-educational one at that. Sorry to be so harsh, but all my life long experience in aviation, teaching, learning, and child psychology cringes at the basic concept and execution of this program.
>
>
>
> My Suggestions: 1) take Accu-sim off the market – it is beneath your organization and mocks the beautiful visual model you have created in the Military P-51. 2) Delete the “damage and repair” programing from within the aircraft files themselves. It, too, is beneath the stature of your organization. It only illustrates to the world that you can program beautiful 3-D models but know little of the realities of aviation physiology and the limitations and strengths of flight simulation. You can do better. In fact anyone with knowledge of the Aircraft.cfg and *.air files can do better. Harsh but fair criticism.
>
>
>
> Therefore: Because I view your Military P-51 as untenable as a simulator aircraft and the Accu-sim as superfluous, I have deleted them from my flight sim system and will not reinstall them in the future. I request that you refund my purchase price as outlined below in my previous email to you. My professional position and stature at this time should assure you that I will never reinstall your software without paying for it in advance. If you wish me to assist you with correcting your aerodynamics for this aircraft, I would be happy to do so for no reimbursement or fee of any kind. Moreover, I would stipulate that you would remain the sole owner of all rights and future earnings from said product. You would need to provide me with a copy of the complete Military P-51D package with the damage and repair routines removed. If I can correct it, I would of course, remit to you the price of the Military P-51D package as of this date if I can retain it for my person use only.
>
>
>
> Please feel free to communicate you thoughts regarding the above. An honest and open dialogue is always more fruitful for all concerned.
>
I read your post with great interest. After reading it I'm afraid I feel unqualified by knowledge and experience to comment, especially on flying the P51 Mustang, but thank you very much for your help and advice. I'll pass this on in the hope that our products will benefit from what I've seen written here.
Thank you very much for your time and effort in helping us toward what obviously is much needed improvement.
:-)
Dudley Henriques

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

:lol:

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Me not pilot. Me have no training. Me only use old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick.

Me can taxi A2A Military P-51D with Accusim. Me can take off and land too.

Me do this many times for eight years.

Me like "repair shop."
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Seriously Flyguy, let's make another attempt at this.
First of all, let me RESPECTFULLY suggest that instead of the way you approached your issue with the 51 in your opening salvo on this thread, perhaps we can back up a bit and actually make an attempt to fix your problem.
I realize from what you said in your post that apparently you have tried to solve the issues and have had little success. I can't comment on that specifically as I wasn't aware of your problem until reading your current posting.
Secondly, I think you have to accept the fact that your issues aside, the P51 we created has world wide acceptance and is running happily in hundreds of computers all around the globe. Now this having been said, I believe you will find after A2A helps you find the issue that whatever is causing the behavior you have described is local; that is, associated with your computer and/or how our software is set up in your system.
I believe we can help you if you make contact with the right people here. I apologize if for some reason that contact hasn't been made as yet but let's try a direct approach and see what happens shall we?
Can you please contact Lewis personally using a private email? He will either help you himself or refer you to someone who can help. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with the P51 if installed properly on a solid system with no conflicts on that system.
I hope this information helps and we can solve your issues for you.
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you get me your order number on the A2A Store, having some issues tracking you down using your email address. I cannot find a P-51 order in the database, did you purchase with a different email address?

As with the issue at hand, is the sole issue your inability to take off the Mustang or is there a clear Tech issue you can see, like controls not moving as they should etc?

Your setup sounds extremely complicated so i'd wager on any control surface issues laying in that area for sure, should there be an issue. Do let us know so we can begin troubleshooting.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

sdflyguy437
Airman

Post by sdflyguy437 »

Thank you Dudley and Lewis.
First a reply to Lewis. Here is a copy of the order for the Military P-51D and Accusim:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PAYPAL RECIEPT

Feb 22, 2020 08:38:28 PST
Transaction ID: 4H756699249562008

Hello John Spangler,
You sent a payment of $106.98 USD to Aerosoft GmbH
([email protected])

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
Merchant
Aerosoft GmbH
[email protected]
+49 2955760318
Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping address - confirmed
John Spangler
%%% ADDRESS REMOVED, jgs %%%%
Shipping details
The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.
Description Unit price Qty Amount
Accu-sim P-51D Military (P3D V4 Professional)
Item# AS14868 $79.99 USD 1 $79.99 USD
Accu-Feel v.2 Air, Land & Sea (P3D V4 Professional)
Item# AS14870 $26.99 USD 1 $26.99 USD
Subtotal $106.98 USD
Total $106.98 USD
Payment $106.98 USD
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *AEROSOFT"
Payment sent to [email protected]
Payment sent from [email protected]

Funding Sources Used (Total)
Visa x-%%%% REMOVED - JGS %%%%%%%%%% $106.98 USD

Invoice ID: 1120157445

Issues with this transaction?
You have 180 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Center.

Questions? Go to the Help Center at www.paypal.com/help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Secondly Lewis:
The takeoff problem is the MAJOR problem. I have had only a little experience flying the P-51 since it almost always crashes at takeoff. However, when airborne, the characteristics it demonstrates are most likely related to problems in the Moment of Inertia settings, the control effectivity settings, and all three stability axes - for starters. Other parameters are occasionally involved in these demonstrated faulty characteristics. My system flies every one of the 200 or so A/C in my system well in P3D following minor corrections to the aerodynamics settings. These are the same settings I had to modify on my previous simulator using different input modalities ( sticks, yokes rudder pedals etc.) and I note similar complaints from others on this forum. I am very interested in the responses from other simmers who have little or no problems. I have not had direct input from simmers who DO NOT have problems. This could be quite valuable in tracking down specific hardware or software/drivers which effect only certain aircraft.

And Dudley:
Thank you for your response. Your use of the term "RESPECTFULLY" was not lost on me. I, too, will reply respectfully. My usual calm demeaner was ruffled by the frustrations caused by not being able to correct such a beautiful A/C and fly it well. One of the most rewarding things I do simming is fixing programming problems. I DO want to help and be helped in this situation. If there is a sub-set of purchasers who can not use your product easily ( and evidently I am one of those folks) then we all gain by understanding what is going on, why it is occurring, and how to fix it.

To Both of you:
As noted in my earlier messages, these 2 products have been completely removed from my system at this time. As supplied commercially, it will probably be impossible for me to effect any significant improvement for you. I need a copy of the original install files and ADDITIONALLY the Aircraft.cfg and *.air files unclouded by accdu-sim or the damage and repair programing. My previous offer to help and the conditions I and the original software developer will need to agree with prior to supplying the above files are all thoughtfully set out in my previous long winded post. Please have a careful read of that post. Hopefully we can have productive interactions soon.
sincerely Flyguy

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

sdflyguy437 wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 12:56 Secondly Lewis:
The takeoff problem is the MAJOR problem. I have had only a little experience flying the P-51 since it almost always crashes at takeoff.... I am very interested in the responses from other simmers who have little or no problems. I have not had direct input from simmers who DO NOT have problems. This could be quite valuable in tracking down specific hardware or software/drivers which effect only certain aircraft.
Hello,
Since you asked...I have a simple system for P3dV4 and have had the Mustang for almost a year, starting with the FSX version and moving to P3D very recently. It initially scared the crap out of me on takeoff until I learned how to fly it and have had zero problems other than my own shortcomings. I have just over 200 hours on it now and it's never crashed on takeoff...even with my ham handedness at first attempts.
BTW, retired ATP here - 5000 hours, mostly in a jet crew environment and 500 hours in Harvards. I'm pretty sure this airplane flies exactly like it`s supposed to......
Cheers,
Rob
Last edited by MkIV Hvd on 09 Mar 2020, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

sdflyguy437
Airman

Post by sdflyguy437 »

Interesting and important Rob. In addition to my real world flying, I have a bunch of sim hours, primarily on Microsoft base sims. This is the first time I have experienced this type of problem. I do wonder about hardware and driver problems as the root of the problem. What are you using for control input? Do you use Precision Flight Controls equipment or GoFlight module add-ons? Any proprietary "green board" connections? Do yo use FSUIPC to interface with your sim? Reports like yours make me wonder why my system singles out this A/C to mess with. Flyguy

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

you'll want to contact aerosoft for your refund as it looks like you purchased through there store?

We are not interested at this stage of reverting a well established critically acclaimed technology used to train pilots the world over to a less fidelity relaxed realism of a default flight model using the old ESP system air files and what not for flight modelling but thank you for your interest.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 18:09 Hello John,

you'll want to contact aerosoft for your refund as it looks like you purchased through there store?

We are not interested at this stage of reverting a well established critically acclaimed technology used to train pilots the world over to a less fidelity relaxed realism of a default flight model using the old ESP system air files and what not for flight modeling but thank you for your interest.

thanks,
Lewis
I couldn't have said this any better myself.
Dudley

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have FSXA not P3Dv4 , but i have only had pilot errors with this aircraft , it took some controlling while i was learning this aircraft , and she will bite hard if you do not stay alert , but once mastered , she is great .
going by your purchase at aerosoft , you payed for both the P51 and accu-feel , you do not need accu-feel with the P51 because it comes with accu-sim , i wonder if you had both running when you had the issues you say you had , accu-feel is for NON accu-sim aircraft only , to enhance your flying on other aircraft.
Also if you buy A2A aircraft from other vendors , they may not be fully updated , as the other vendors may have a bit of a delay before implementing A2A latest updates to their products , i have always purchased A2A products direct from A2A .
Also you say you are a real pilot , but have you flown a real P51 , dudley has , and if dudley says this aircraft handles like the real thing , then you can guarantee it does.
Also did you follow A2A recommended control settings in the aircraft documentation , and i never knew about the yoke you use , so i googled it , it is a very serious yoke beyond most simmers costs , so maybe there could be an issue in the way the yokes drivers work with A2A aircraft , only someone else with the same yoke and aircraft could test this out.
regards alan. 8)

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

sdflyguy437 wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 15:31 Interesting and important Rob. In addition to my real world flying, I have a bunch of sim hours, primarily on Microsoft base sims. This is the first time I have experienced this type of problem. I do wonder about hardware and driver problems as the root of the problem. What are you using for control input? Do you use Precision Flight Controls equipment or GoFlight module add-ons? Any proprietary "green board" connections? Do yo use FSUIPC to interface with your sim? Reports like yours make me wonder why my system singles out this A/C to mess with. Flyguy
Nope, I'm a simple farm boy and that's how I like things. When I migrated to a new computer last August, I did not even install FSUIPC with FSX:SE at the time. Within the last couple of weeks I've moved to P3Dv4.5 and I'm only using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and Saitek rudder pedals...no connections...no nothing......

There are a lot of guys around here more capable than I and maybe if you could describe exactly how the airplane is crashing on takeoff, you could get some help with sorting it out. So far all I've read is descriptions about how wrong it all is, but you've not described what's actually happening to cause you to crash on takeoff and I think an explanation would help with the process...it couldn't hurt at least...
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

One thing to consider is that low frame rates can negatively impact flight models. Complex sceneries, high resolution clouds, dense air traffic, etc., -- especially in combination -- may cause aircraft to behave poorly and erratically which is especially problematic with high-torque piston aircraft like the P-51D. Try operating from a smaller airport away from a major urban center. Also try tuning down cultural settings.

If you use a real-time weather engine, consider reverting to static weather as you experiment. I've also found that some engines model weather with greater effect than others.

In my recent tests of the P-51D I noticed that the controls lock is set at cold start. This could be a cause for your taxi problems. Check the base of your vritual flight stick that the control is unlocked.

Don't use full throttle on your takeoff run.

Totally different product, but DCS World comes with a free P-51 and a series of training tutorials. The DCS version corresponds fairly well to the A2A version.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

sdflyguy: Hope you get the P-51 squared away on your flight sim setup. Meanwhile:

Trust Dudley. He has been there, done that with regard to the P-51. Many hours in the real P-51, and heavily involved in the flight characteristics of the A2A P-51.

Also, virtually everything is out there on YouTube: I recommend that you do a search on "A2A P-51" on YouTube. I did, and here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=A2A+P-51. The A2A P-51 has been around since 2012 or so, and the first video on the list is Scott Gentile's intro to the A2A P-51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOmJzxoaCA. Next is FSMania's flight out the Aleutian Chain in the A2A P-51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8bWBhyTFj0.

Skycat's tips in the preceding post are worth trying. Watch the videos and then go for it! :D Oh yeah - the P-51 was designed to kill people. It's still doing a pretty good job. :roll:

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”