aileron trim required for level flight with both tanks equally full?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
kilo_alpha
Airman

aileron trim required for level flight with both tanks equally full?

Post by kilo_alpha »

Hi everybody,

short question regarding aileron trim for the P-51´s which I run under P3D v4.5:

Do you need aileron trim to keep the wings leveled in horizontal flight when both wing tanks are equally full?

Until yesterday I would have sworn my P-51´s (both, military and civilian) flew straight under that conditions with aileron trim set to zero (to be precise: 1000 ft, ~300 mph, 46" mp / 2400 rpm, both wing tanks 55 gal., fuselage tank 25 gal., weather: clear skies, switched to the mustang after loading the P3D v4 default flight).

Today, I played a bit with a tool called "FormationSetup" to generate AI-Traffic. During that session, I got a simconnect related message a few times but didn´t pay too much attention since everything seemed to keep working fine. Now I observed my P-51´s roll slowly to the left under the above described conditions. Not a big deal since it can easily be compensated with a small amount (~0.2 deg) of right aileron trim, but I could swear this was not required before...

Out of curiousity I tried a reinstall but that didn´t change anything. So probably no issue, but I just liked to get confirmed that´s normal.

Thanks & stay safe,

Kai
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: aileron trim required for level flight with both tanks equally full?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes some movement is to be expected, also remember that trim is a dynamic exercise. How much trim you need will depend on a massive amount of stuff that should mean it will vary every single time you fly depending on weather and aircraft setup and power settings etc etc etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

kilo_alpha
Airman

Post by kilo_alpha »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 07:39 Hello,

yes some movement is to be expected, also remember that trim is a dynamic exercise. How much trim you need will depend on a massive option of stuff that should mean it will vary every single time you fly depending on weather and aircraft setup and power settings etc etc etc.

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis,

thank´s a lot for the clarification. Hope to see you soon in the virtual skies in a multiplayer session.

Take care,

Kai
ImageImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Hey, Kilo_Alpha: Hope to see you soon on a MP flight with the A2A Misfit Squadron!

Seeya
ATB

kilo_alpha
Airman

Post by kilo_alpha »

Paughco wrote: 01 May 2020, 00:20 Hey, Kilo_Alpha: Hope to see you soon on a MP flight with the A2A Misfit Squadron!

Seeya
ATB
Hi ATB,

it´s been a while since I joined the Misfit Squadron the last time, that was the P-40´s over Iceland event and it was awesome :D I´m definetely looking forward for the next time, which will hopefully be the Arsenal of Democracy flight on May 10th.
Until then I´ll hone my flying (and of course trimming :lol: ) skills in the P-51.

Hope to see you then,

Take care

Kai
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”