P3D_v5 Radio/HSI LEDs

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

P3D_v5 Radio/HSI LEDs

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Good Day!
I have a new clean install of P3D_v5 and the A2A Civilian Mustang and the radio stack/HSI LED digits are very pixelated in my normal sitting position. I am running at .70 zoom setting and under normal conditions, note the lack of clarity in those digits vs., the Davtron which is fine.

If I lean in with the TrackIR view or the zoom settings, the red digits appear clearer, the closer I get:

My first thought was the LOD radius whatever thingy line in the .cfg, but that was already set at "1"...any ideas would be very much appreciated!
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: P3D_v5 Radio/HSI LEDs

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob,

Couple of questions. What display settings are you using in P3Dv5? Also, is your display scaling in Windows itself set to anything other than 100%? (You can check this under "ease of access" in the Windows settings menu.)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks NIck,

I'll advise settings and check the window scaling when I get home in a bit and let you know!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, cheers Rob.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Here are my display settings...

...and is this the settings page you mean?

Thanks Nick!
Rob Wilkinson

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Rob - I can't see anything in those settings that would explain the issue.

Did these gauges render correctly in P3Dv4 with the same hardware and general Windows settings? If so, I wonder if it's a Radeon + v5 thing. I'm certainly unable reproduce with an NVIDA graphics card, so the only suggestions I can think of at present are to make sure your video drivers are up to date, and to try deleting the Prepar3D.cfg to reset the sim to its default settings. However, if this is a new, clean install of the sim, I doubt the latter would help much.

Oh, maybe try turning off FXAA too.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Nick,

Yes it displayed fine in v4.5 with everything the same as v5 now and the driver's up to date, so it could certainly be a Radeon/v5 thing. I'd read earlier about the potential for that conflict to be an issue, so was a bit skeptical about taking a shot at the upgrade...if that's the only problem I have, then I'm completely fine with it!! :mrgreen:

Yessir, it's brand new so I don't think I'll bother doing that...it's easier to just lean forward before I look down :wink:

Thanks for the tip too..as an experiment I turned off FXAA and Dynamic Texture Streaming (because I haven't a clue what that means or does) and that did not fix the issue. However it seems to have maybe given me another 5-10 fps, which is fine too!! :mrgreen:

Thanks as always for the help, Nick!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the update Rob and keep us posted if you manage to improve the appearance of these digits. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else who reads this and who uses a Radeon card with P3Dv5 sees the same issue.

As for FXAA it's probably unnecessary with 8xSSA selected and disabling it should help sharpen up the graphics a little bit too. I believe dynamic texture streaming is intended to help dynamically manage video RAM usage, so you may find there's more likelihood of running out of VRAM with this box unticked. Especially with your fairly high monitor res and 8xSSAA selected.

As you first test the sim, it might be worth keeping an eye on the VRAM usage which you can see in v5 by pressing Shift Z a couple of times, wherupon it's shown along with the frame rate.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nick - A2A wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 18:21 Okay, thanks for the update Rob and keep us posted if you manage to improve the appearance of these digits. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone else who reads this and who uses a Radeon card with P3Dv5 sees the same issue.
Hi Nick,

It just occurred to me to update you that your hunch was correct....definitely a Radeon issue with the RX5700XT. The appearance did improve as soon as I went back to an Nvidea card with the new computer. :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the update Rob 8) 8)

Shame to hear that the old stereotype of ATI driver issues is still a thing.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Ah yes, thanks for the info Rob - it's indeed interesting to hear that this is a graphics card-related issue. Hope you're enjoying the new rig anyway! :D

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”